Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Givi Monokey plate or topbox issues?

Options
  • 13-12-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Givi Monokey plate on my bike - the guy I bought the bike from 2.5 years ago had a Monokey topbox and kept that but left the plate attached. I have finally gotten around to buying a Givi Monokey topbox and it's not connecting/clicking ino place...I've removed the small round cover thingy on the plate that says to remove it before attaching box, but it's just not locking into place. The issue is at the locking mechanism side - so not sure if it is a faulty box (brand new) or if I am potentially missing something with regards to the plate?

Any advise would be very much appreciated - bought from a German supplier so don't really want to be getting into sending it back unless absolutely necessary....!

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have Monolock so I can't comment specifically, but can you post a pic or video of the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

Hi, thanks for responding!

I could do - but topbox is at work and I am at home so will do that hopefully on Monday when back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What box have you?

blade1 wrote: »
    What box have you?

Givi V40 Monokey

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

da wiseguy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a Givi Monokey plate on my bike - the guy I bought the bike from 2.5 years ago had a Monokey topbox and kept that but left the plate attached. I have finally gotten around to buying a Givi Monokey topbox and it's not connecting/clicking ino place...I've removed the small round cover thingy on the plate that says to remove it before attaching box, but it's just not locking into place. The issue is at the locking mechanism side - so not sure if it is a faulty box (brand new) or if I am potentially missing something with regards to the plate?

Any advise would be very much appreciated - bought from a German supplier so don't really want to be getting into sending it back unless absolutely necessary....!

Thanks in advance!

On the Monokey plate there should be four rubber stoppers, I had to remove them as my GIVI box would not lock with them on. Will sort them out one day but that may be your problem

• Advertisement

Agent_47 wrote: »
    On the Monokey plate there should be four rubber stoppers, I had to remove them as my GIVI box would not lock with them on. Will sort them out one day but that may be your problem

Hmmmm...I'm guessing the rubber stoppers are there to protect the box or whatnot but sounds like could be a reason why it's not clicking in properly, will try that, thanks for the advice!

Yes, my plate and box are new so not sure what I need to file down! You could try thin felt or rubber if the stoppers are your issue.

Yes, my plate and box are new so not sure what I need to file down! You could try thin felt or rubber if the stoppers are your issue.

Were the stoppers easy to remove out of interest?

They should prise straight out with a flat head screwdriver, simple to put back in.

They should prise straight out with a flat head screwdriver, simple to put back in.

Thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks for the tip!

I have a Givi for 20 years and moved it from bike to bike over that time. I bought a new bike last year and put (yet another!) plate on it - same issue

It will bed in over time and the plastic will relax.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

...I've removed the small round cover thingy on the plate that says to remove it before attaching box...

You sure this is a Givi plate?

newmember? wrote: »
    You sure this is a Givi plate?

Absolutely ;)

Hi again, sorry what did you mean file down?

galwaytt wrote: »
    I have a Givi for 20 years and moved it from bike to bike over that time. I bought a new bike last year and put (yet another!) plate on it - same issue

Same issue as in box won't lock into place unless you remove the stoppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Same issue as in box won't lock into place unless you remove the stoppers?

not quite - but it's a very tight fit. I'm avoiding filing anything for now

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

galwaytt wrote: »

I've had numerous different plates including the universal on different bikes all using the same case and never had the slightest problem. Maybe the plate got a bang and is twisted or something.

OK - box now fits...! It was the light fitting/connector between the plate and box that was the issue. It has a small cover on it that said to remove the box before attaching, which I did, but as the box doesn't have light fittings, it was redundant and was just a little too big which was preventing the top box fitting properly. So I cut the wires for the fitting on the plate (and taped them up!), removed the fitting and, PRESTO. I refitted the rubber stoppers that was recommended to be removed and still fits perfectly, happy days!

Thanks all for help/advice etc! Happy Christmas!
    Jon

Advertisement