Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged fairing

Options
  • 12-12-2019 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Made a newbie mistake with my ER6-F and dropped it at low speed one of the first times I got on it.

There was no real damage other than the fairings where the front right fairing connects to the front fairing (where the tachometer and speedo are). Normally this is connected by a screw but the actually mount/tab snapped off.

The bike is fine but it buzzes like crazy between 4,000-6,000 RPM and it's driving me mad.

It looks like it'll be the best part of €200 to replace the entire front cowl which seems a bit excessive.

Are there any ideas? I'm going to try and duct tape it, just to reduce the buzz. But I'd prefer something a bit more permanent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Without seeing a pic it's a little difficult to know what exactly can be done but if the part that broke off is plastic, and you still have the part that broke off, then you could being it to a plastic welder

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

i got this guy to repair ducati race fairingw i had on the bike for track use, his work was good, as the cracks were in awkard places.

http://www.motorcyclepaintshop.ie/contact

he is in tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Research plastic welding

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

pjdarcy wrote: »
    Without seeing a pic it's a little difficult to know what exactly can be done but if the part that broke off is plastic, and you still have the part that broke off, then you could being it to a plastic welder

I don't still have the piece unfortunately. I've seen videos online where people make their own tabs and weld them on? Could that work?
    Banzai600 wrote: »
    i got this guy to repair ducati race fairingw i had on the bike for track use, his work was good, as the cracks were in awkard places.

http://www.motorcyclepaintshop.ie/contact

he is in tallaght

Was he expensive?
    CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Research plastic welding

I did, but it seems you need the original part or make a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What's the part no. off the part you need?

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    What's the part no. off the part you need?

I'm not 100% sure but I THINK it's 55028-012.

If you look here, you can see the part 92015b.

The tab that slots into 52028f is what snapped off.

Which means that part 14091 is buzzing at speed.

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but I THINK it's 55028-012.

If you look here, you can see the part 92015b.

The tab that slots into 52028f is what snapped off.

Which means that part 14091 is buzzing at speed.

Can you stick up a pic of it and where it's damaged?
    Is it a painted part that broke?

Can you stick up a pic of it and where it's damaged?
    Is it a painted part that broke?

The bike is back in Dublin at the moment, I took the car this week with the storm.

There's no paint on the tab. It's just black plastic. You can't see it unless you take the fairing off.

The bike is back in Dublin at the moment, I took the car this week with the storm.

There's no paint on the tab. It's just black plastic. You can't see it unless you take the fairing off.

Yeah but is the tab part of a painted part?
    I'm not sure what part is broke.
    Anything here any use to you?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=kawasaki+er6f+cowl&_pgn=3

Yeah but is the tab part of a painted part?
    I'm not sure what part is broke.
    Anything here any use to you?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=kawasaki+er6f+cowl&_pgn=3

Yes, it's connected to the part that houses the metres.

I'm desperately trying to find what I'm looking for on google images to show you. Haven't had any luck so far.

Nothing on eBay, no. I'd rather not replace the part if it all possible. If it's the best part of €200 new, it's probably still expensive on eBay.

This must happen all the time when bikes are dropped, surely lads aren't replacing entire panels when a flimsy plastic tab snaps?

• Advertisement

Okay, so if you look at the image below, you'll see a screw on the black part of the left fairing near the top left of the image.

This is the screw that connects the fairing to the panel that houses the speedometer, tachometer etc.

On the right hand side of my bike, I still have the screw. But the right fairing is only loosely secured and rattled. When you take it off, you see a piece of snapped plastic attached to the speedo panel mount that's supposed to secure the screw.

That's what I'm missing.

55028023815WLftLwrCwlSSR.jpg

Sorry, here's a better one.

You can clearly see the screw on the left, it's obscured on the right. That screw feeds through the fairing and is secured by a plastic tab underneath that is connected to the instrument mount.

That's the issue.

04kawasaki-er6f.jpg

It doesn't look familiar.

It's a 2012-2016 part. Mine is an '07.

It doesn't look familiar.

It's a 2012-2016 part. Mine is an '07.

I see, the year helps alright ;)

I see, the year helps alright ;)

Shag it.

I'll take a picture when I'm back tomorrow.

I have no idea. Possibly.

I'll have to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Was he expensive?

not really, worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Claud 14.7 to 1

I had a old bike with plastics broken in a few areas and I used cable ties to join the plastics where they were broken.

You could even drill a small hole where required and then run a cable tie through the two plastic pieces and then cut off the excess. I don't remember having any issues this way, just whenever you have to do a service or remove the plastics, you have to cut the cable tie and use a new one but no big deal really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement