Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting poor mileage ,no idea why

Options
  • 29-10-2019 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

So my gsx 1400 is killing me in terms of petrol .
    I'm getting about 7l/100km sometimes more!.
    My commute is about 150km a day 95% of it is open roads.(dual carriageway and N roads)
    Ive kept a steady pace of 100kmh in 6th gear.
    At best I got 6.8l/100km.
    I've had the injectors professionally cleaned,new air filter,new plugs, fuel pump cleaned,TPS sorted.
    The battery is a year old but only started using the bike about 2 months. It's now struggling to start now and need to use my jump starter on it to get started.
    Could the battery cause a drop in mpg?
    I know the cold weather is gonna be worse but it had been driven when the weather has been hotter and the mpg is still crap.
    Only other thing I need to check is if there could be an exhaust leak somewhere.
    Any ideas on what else to check?
    I knew the bike wouldn't be great on petrol but looking online my bike is way above normal L/100km. People thrashing there bike get better milage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Being honest I wouldn't expect much better than 40mpg on one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Being honest I wouldn't expect much better than 40mpg on one of them

Sounds about right.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/gsx1400/2001/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,954 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tyres could maybe make a 10% difference if poorly inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You would think oh yeah bike is small and light so should be much better then similar size engines car but these are tuned bikes.

You won't be getting much better then that to be honest.

Wind and drag will be an additional factor.

If you've got wide shoulders like me this can be a huge drag to.

Have you added a screen to help push the wind drag around you better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I remember using a 1/4 tank going from Lucan to coolock via the m50 on a bandit 12 about 10 years ago........sold it the next day

• Advertisement

You would think oh yeah bike is small and light so should be much better then similar size engines car but these are tuned bikes.

You won't be getting much better then that to be honest.

Wind and drag will be an additional factor.

If you've got wide shoulders like me this can be a huge drag to.

Have you added a screen to help push the wind drag around you better?

The OP is using the equivalent to an M3 for their commute, you don't get power and fuel economy. If you want low fuel consumption on a bike you need to buy a Cub 90 or a 125 4 stroke, you have no performance but will still beat the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The problem is your bike along with for example xjr 1300 were in there day the first series what where called muscle bikes not really a commuter bike if your going to be using it daily your going to need deep pockets not just for fuel but for back tyres :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭H_Lime

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/gsx_1400
    Yikes.
    Probably improve mpg with a custom map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Quick Google and MCN says 42mpg which would be about the same as 7l/100km. To be honest, you're doing well, I've never been able to reach the factory quoted consumption on any bike.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP is using the equivalent to an M3 for their commute, you don't get power and fuel economy. If you want low fuel consumption on a bike you need to buy a Cub 90 or a 125 4 stroke, you have no performance but will still beat the traffic.

What are you on about, I said they won't get much better then what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I had a 09 model and tuned the sh!t out of it with a race cam and full exhaust system. It had bad economy beforehand and a lot worse after. It was a bloody rocket but completely undriveable afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Put a small fairing on the bike, it doesn't have to be big just big enough to smooth the airflow around you.
    Naked bikes are like a brick wall through the air and at any kind of speeds a smoother airflow will help.
    That said its a 1.4 litre engine tuned for grunt, you could play with gearing a little, not sure what revs its happiest at but looking at dyno graphs its peak torque is under 5k so I'd be inclined to gear it accordingly.
    Or you could just ride it as is and enjoy it or sell it and buy a bike thats more suited to commuting like a Honda Deauville :)

What are you on about, I said they won't get much better then what they are.

I was agreeing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thanks lads.
    Bike wasn't meant to be a commuter but circumstances changed and this was in the back garden and needed something to commute on.
    Knew it wasn't gonna be no honda 50 on petrol but seeing some forums people saying they get 6L/100km had me thinking something's up with mine.
    Obviously 7l/100km seems normal.
    I guess it's smiles per gallon from now on :D. It is a great bike to ride tho.
    If I had any kind of money CJ, I would defo pick up another deauville.
    I used to commute on that years ago, best bike for commuting,used to redline it the whole time and would easily give me over 50mpg and my arse or back was never sore :D
    Oh and there is a small screen over the headlamp, not sure if it actually helps tho

I was agreeing with you.

Oh right, sorry I was still half asleep....

My bad, please accept my apologies.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Try a 17 s1000rr. You can get over 60mpg being slightly careful. Ride it hard and still do 40mpg.

Since I got mine tuned it's silly good on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

honda boi wrote: »
    Thanks lads.
    Bike wasn't meant to be a commuter but circumstances changed and this was in the back garden and needed something to commute on.
    Knew it wasn't gonna be no honda 50 on petrol but seeing some forums people saying they get 6L/100km had me thinking something's up with mine.
    Obviously 7l/100km seems normal.
    I guess it's smiles per gallon from now on :D. It is a great bike to ride tho.
    If I had any kind of money CJ, I would defo pick up another deauville.
    I used to commute on that years ago, best bike for commuting,used to redline it the whole time and would easily give me over 50mpg and my arse or back was never sore :D
    Oh and there is a small screen over the headlamp, not sure if it actually helps tho

old Rotax engined F650''s of different ilks are cheap and get 70mpg all day.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Agreed on mpg Galway, misers esp the efi twinspark but I'd run a mile from them myself. Pump incl shaft and seals, head gasket and cooked chassis bearings would scare me. Others less so but thats just my take anyhow.
    I see another dullsville in yer future Honda Boi, fab yokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Banzai600

Honda NC750x with DCT , decent mpg 70/80+ and good storage, good finish, wont fall asunder and good weather protection with a proven engine. Or a versys 650 2nd / 3rd gen - the little twin engines are great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My GSX14 gets about 47mpg or 6l/100km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭honda boi

cantdecide wrote: »
    My GSX14 gets about 47mpg or 6l/100km

Please help me with your wisdom :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

H_Lime wrote: »
    Agreed on mpg Galway, misers esp the efi twinspark but I'd run a mile from them myself. Pump incl shaft and seals, head gasket and cooked chassis bearings would scare me. Others less so but thats just my take anyhow.
    I see another dullsville in yer future Honda Boi, fab yokes!

Tbh, the only F's I've see like that are neglected ones, so maintenance is key.

We've had 2 of those and 1 of the newer F 800cc Twins in this house. Even the Twin did 70mpg.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The f650 single with the rotax mill is what I'm referring to. Have no experience of the later parallel twin 800 models but a good mate had one that utterly broke his heart with head gasket trouble no less and a host of electrickery gosts.
    Don't get me wrong I'm no "thats unreliable" monger lol, half of what i own are considered grenades by some but the early f650 singles aint for me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,462 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Probably didn't help that they were screwed together by Aprilia...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement