Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle lock for moped

Options
  • 01-10-2019 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

I’m using my kryptonite bicycle lock to lock my moped. Do I “need” to get a motorbike lock or is this sufficient. Alot of bicycles are worth more than my moped and seems that most locks can be broken anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Checkout locklab, Bosniambill, on youtube.

Hes tested most types on bike locks, some are useless, one or two are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you need the bike or do you have access to an alternative mode of transport? Because it's not how much the bike costs but how inconvenient it'll be if it's stolen that matters. If you have some other means of transport than any lock will do as it's only a visual deterrent. If it's your sole means of transport then you'll need good locks and chains to keep it safe.

There's several companies which test locks, check their reviews.

https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/security/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

It's not clear what type of lock it is in your post, I presume it's a d lock. Still there are good and bad versions. A good d lock would be fine but you're limited when it comes to locking the bike to something so a good brake disk lock will allow you secure the bike anywhere and is less likely to be cut open but if the more prepared thieves want the scooter they'll just pick it up and put it in a van. You'll be deterring scally wags with a disk lock.

Rather than think about the value of the bike think about the likely hood of it being stolen in the areas you park in regularly.

Advertisement