Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel NI & UK post Brexit-Insurance

Options
  • 23-08-2019 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

The Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland announced that "The insurance disc will serve as proof of insurance to the legal authorities in the UK, including Northern Ireland.". see here

There seems to be no arrangement made for motorcycles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sure it's the same. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I should hardly need to point out that bike policies don't come with discs!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I think you're all reading too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

https://www.mibi.ie/brexit/brexit-and-green-cards-faqs.1770.html

I drive a motorcycle or agricultural tractor that is not required to display an insurance disc. What should I do?

If there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit, then proof of insurance cover will be required for those wishing to drive their Irish registered motorcycle or agricultural tractor vehicle in the UK, including Northern Ireland. Some of these vehicles display insurance discs and some do not.

If the vehicle has a valid Irish insurance disc, then no additional documentation is required. If the vehicle does not have a valid Irish insurance disc then it is recommended that you carry your motor insurance certificate with you or obtain a Green Card from your insurance provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You need to bring your insurance certificate if you go to Norn Iron now. So when they exit you will still need to carry your insurance certificate, you just won't need to get a green card.

An insurance disc means nothing to a foreign police officer today and when the UK leaves the PSNI will still require you to have an insurance certificate. I've no idea why the MIBI have published the wrong information, even the Gardai don't take the insurance disc as valid insurance you have to produce your policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

rock22 wrote: »
    There seems to be no arrangement made for motorcycles.

Spoke to a contact in MIBI, same as normal with bikes - carry your insurance cert, no need for green cards.

shocker

Advertisement