Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a HArley from US

Options
  • 15-08-2019 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I am considering imprting a HArley from the US and was wondering if anyone has done it before and what things to look for in terms of VAT, homologation, insurance etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll have import duty on the total cost of the bike and transport to Ireland, along with the VAT and VRT. Apart from that it's the same procedure as from the UK.

You might need to change the headlight or get a beam bender if it's got a flip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not quite, you will also need an EU cert of conformity which can be very difficult to obtain.
    I would ask why bother? By the time all is said and done it’s cheaper and easier to buy one in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭D3V!L

It's a lot of hassle unless its something special. There's plenty available in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JaimeB wrote: »
    I am considering imprting a HArley from the US and was wondering if anyone has done it before and what things to look for in terms of VAT, homologation, insurance etc.

Thanks!

As per the other thread, you'll be liable for

Customs Excise
    Customs Clearance Fees (agent)
    Shipping Fees
    VRT
    VAT

Add all of the above to the bike - and don't forget the currency is sh1t atmo - and then see if it's worth it. I'd be surprised if it is tbh.

To actually register it you will need an EU C of C to EU4 - US spec bikes are different, so it really depends on what you're looking at, as that may not even be available for your bike.

Unless the saving is huge, I don't see it worth the effort tbh.

What age/model are you looking at (I have one btw).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,836 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any reason ? buddy of mine bought one new, nothing but trouble with it. Sorry he ever bought one.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Any reason ? buddy of mine bought one new, nothing but trouble with it. Sorry he ever bought one.

I bought a new BMW, nothing but problems with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,836 ✭✭✭✭listermint

D3V!L wrote: »

Yes, but did you import it all the way from the US only to be let down ?

I recall you saying that it was just a boring bike as opposed to the primary clutch bearing going @ 18 months old

I bought mine at just over a yr old, have 54k on it, and have had one repair @ €40 on it in that entire time. The key is: keep it stock.
    Lolz. I know several people with them: some have huge mileages and no issues, some have low mileages and some issues. But a lot of them are recent, and a lot only ride them under a warranty.....
    Yes, but did you import it all the way from the US only to be let down ?
    A US bike shouldn't be any more likely to break down if it's stock. If it's been modified, that's a whole other bunch of wax.
    I recall you saying that it was just a boring bike as opposed to the primary clutch bearing going @ 18 months old
    ...yikes, a primary clutch bearing going isn't a 5-minute fix.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭rock22

Is there not additional EU tariffs on motorcycles?

Following the recent Trumpity trade war threats with the EU ,I thought EU had slapped additional tariffs on motorcycles in response.

https://www.thejournal.ie/eu-tariffs-4072188-Jun2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

WEll, I want a vrod, Those go for 10k+ in EU which I dont think they are worth. I guess the key thing here is Excise Duty and the Certificate of Conformity, which I have no idea where to get them from. I have shipped stuff before from China, and have friedns that can help me with that, so shipping wont be the difficult part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

WEll, I want a vrod, Those go for 10k+ in EU which I dont think they are worth. I guess the key thing here is Excise Duty and the Certificate of Conformity, which I have no idea where to get them from. I have shipped stuff before from China, and have friedns that can help me with that, so shipping wont be the difficult part.

I think you have to have a step back and think about where you are going with bikes.
    First of all you have no NCB as per your other posts so you are essentially a learner rider in the eyes of the Insurance companies here.
    They will not like to insure you on a V-Rod as it is a high risk bike and large CC machine.
    You have asked about a MSX 125, a CBR600RR a Harley Sportster and now a V-Rod.
    Given the difficulties you have with insurance I would suggest that you look firstly at a relatively cheap and simple motorcycle that you can insure easily and build experience and your No Claims Bonus(NCB).
    Once you have some proven experience here and a decent NCB then think about buying a bigger bike.
    Something cheap and low powered like a 125 will get you started and allow you to get mobile without breaking the bank and if the bike gets crashed or damaged you aren't broke trying to fix it.

ok, not lately, but I've seen V-Rod's change hands for a lot less than that. One in Galway for 4k. H-D dealers don't want them, so their value is on the floor.

That said, it's an under-rated bike, although I found them uncomfortable, but the engine is a stonker.

Ode To The Motorist

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think you have to have a step back and think about where you are going with bikes.
    First of all you have no NCB as per your other posts so you are essentially a learner rider in the eyes of the Insurance companies here.
    They will not like to insure you on a V-Rod as it is a high risk bike and large CC machine.
    Given the difficulties you have with insurance I would suggest that you look firstly at a relatively cheap and simple motorcycle that you can insure easily and build experience and your No Claims Bonus(NCB).
    Once you have some proven experience here and a decent NCB then think about buying a bigger bike.
    Something cheap and low powered like a 125 will get you started and allow you to get mobile without breaking the bank and if the bike gets crashed or damaged you aren't broke trying to fix it.

My young lad has just got a 125 and is it's going to cost €1200+ to insure it. The guy we bought it off was selling it due to insurance (Meath), and at 19yrs old was quoted €1900..............insuring V-Rods et all with zero NCB is fanciful.

Ode To The Motorist

CJhaughey wrote: »

I'm considering all options, and I know it is not an ideal starter bike. But things come as they come. I finally skipped on the vrod, but also the msx 125 as find them overpriced. The motorbike is going to be a mix of a present to myself and a daily commuter, and don't mind spendingng 1k more for something I will enjoy more. It is definitely going to be second hand, as I would worry too much about something new, and in the 2-4k range.

I'm considering all options, and I know it is not an ideal starter bike. But things come as they come. I finally skipped on the vrod, but also the msx 125 as find them overpriced. The motorbike is going to be a mix of a present to myself and a daily commuter, and don't mind spendingng 1k more for something I will enjoy more. It is definitely going to be second hand, as I would worry too much about something new, and in the 2-4k range.

There is no way you're importing a Harley in that range from anywhere , let alone the States. You need to set your sights quite a bit lower.

galwaytt wrote: »
    My young lad has just got a 125 and is it's going to cost €1200+ to insure it. The guy we bought it off was selling it due to insurance (Meath), and at 19yrs old was quoted €1900..............insuring V-Rods et all with zero NCB is fanciful.

For giggles, as I was told C-N would quote young riders now, got on to them yesterday. All items the same, they quoted.... €3,595.

:eek:

Ode To The Motorist

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Forget it. No such thing as a €2k H-D. Well, not one worth having at any rate imho.......

A good friend of mine has bought an 883 for his SO to learn on. And he's a professional H-D mechanic.........an 883 needing work cost him near twice that.

I just did a quick search of a place in US I get some small bits & pieces from, and a the cheapest bike they have is USD$5400 - and it's 21 years old. YMMV and all that.
    There is no way you're importing a Harley in that range from anywhere , let alone the States. You need to set your sights quite a bit lower.

^^^^, this, to the power of N. You could literally set one on fire and it would get more than that on the used market.

Ode To The Motorist

I've a simpler question for OP - have you a licence ?

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've a simpler question for OP - have you a licence ?

I did a little search and it came up with some interesting threads started by the OP since the start of the year. Knock yourself out, it really puts this thread into perspective. ;)

Hi everyone, yes I have a license. I have found HDs for below 4k and insurance was 1300e. But I have given up after I got quoted for the shipping. So going for something here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement