Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda 50 Restoration

Options
  • 27-12-2016 6:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Found a 68/69 Honda C50 in a shed as I was down visiting family for Christmas.

All the parts are there. Reckon it's been laid up for maybe 10 years. In very good nick considering, very little rust - mostly cosmetic. Reckon I'll have a go at restoring it as parts seem easy enough to source, and it's got sentimental value for the owner who'd enjoy helping with the restoration. Could be a fun project.

Doesn't start, but gave it a kick and checked for compression and we're good there.

Rear suspension is dry seized and the throttle is very stiff to twist, everything else seems ok-ish (Gears/transmission, steering, ...). Tank was empty when it was left up, so looks ok. Could be some other fluids knocking around in it though, didn't check yet.

Anything else that I should check before committing to it?

Assuming I go ahead, I figured I'd begin with:

- Remove the fuel tank and check for rust, leaks etc
    - Replace the battery & check electrics
    - Replace fuel filter
    - Clean/Replace/Rebuild the carbs, fuel valves, etc.
    - Replace the plugs
    - Change the oil, fluids, filters
    - Fix the dry seize on the rear shocks
    - Free up the throttle (& probably replace the cable)
    - Clean up the front and rear breaks, replace the shoes (and maybe the brake cable).

Anything major I'm missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Honda50.ie for veyrthing you'll need

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

KonFusion wrote: »
    Found a 68/69 Honda C50 in a shed as I was down visiting family for Christmas.

All the parts are there. Reckon it's been laid up for maybe 10 years. In very good nick considering, very little rust - mostly cosmetic. Reckon I'll have a go at restoring it as parts seem easy enough to source, and it's got sentimental value for the owner who'd enjoy helping with the restoration. Could be a fun project.

Doesn't start, but gave it a kick and checked for compression and we're good there.

Rear suspension is dry seized and the throttle is very stiff to twist, everything else seems ok-ish (Gears/transmission, steering, ...). Tank was empty when it was left up, so looks ok. Could be some other fluids knocking around in it though, didn't check yet.

Anything else that I should check before committing to it?

Assuming I go ahead, I figured I'd begin with:

- Remove the fuel tank and check for rust, leaks etc
    - Replace the battery & check electrics
    - Replace fuel filter
    - Clean/Replace/Rebuild the carbs, fuel valves, etc.
    - Replace the plugs
    - Change the oil, fluids, filters
    - Fix the dry seize on the rear shocks
    - Free up the throttle (& probably replace the cable)
    - Clean up the front and rear breaks, replace the shoes (and maybe the brake cable).

Anything major I'm missing?

Set the points

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I done a project like yours last year it was sitting in the shed for 20 + years I got it started fuel, plug cleaned the carb etc. but no power in the engine a new set of points and away she went.

I have a spare Swing Arm for sale if you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Good luck with the restoration, maybe stick up a few photos as you go along, I would start by checking the plug for a spark and then clean out the carb once you hear it running it will give you more enthusiasm to complete the job, the battery is only needed for lights, they are a simple little bike to work on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Thanks! Back in the big shmoke but will be working on it soon, will take pics etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement