Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breke callipers

Options
  • 15-01-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,I am cleaning my R1 six pot brake pistons and was going to use silicone grease that can be used for computers.Im told it has high operating tempatures and the silicone won't wash away easy.Anyone heard of this.This was posted in an english bike magazine according to my friend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Hi,I am cleaning my R1 six pot brake pistons and was going to use silicone grease that can be used for computers.Im told it has high operating tempatures and the silicone won't wash away easy.Anyone heard of this.This was posted in an english bike magazine according to my friend.

Listen to this man and look at what he does.

He knows what hes doing,and hes Irish too.:D

Also look at this video....."copper grease".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I use a combo of silicone spray & copper grease.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I use a combo of silicone spray & copper grease.

Various sprays and cleaners for 1 euro 49 cents in Lidl.Good stuff.

DSCN4677_zpsm6qbfxgl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Any silicon spray or lube spray used near brakes (like on the rotors of the disc) should be have the PTFE in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't get it, there should be Bluespots on an R1 not 6 pot calipers?
    Are these aftermarket or Tokico 6 pot ones?
    In any case, if you don't have the correct grease for brake pistons (Red rubber or brake silicone) then don't use anything else.
    Copper grease will destroy rubber if it comes in contact with it, it will go all soft and swell up.
    Copper grease is only for the backs of the pads and there is better stuff out now called Mintex Ceratec.

Pump the pistons out and use a pick to remove (carefully) the dust seal and the square O-ring, clean the grooves they sit in.
    Clean the inside of the caliper, if there is any gritty muck you may need to dry it out and scrape the crystallised brake fluid out with a wooden or plastic tool.
    Dry it out and lube the pistons and seals with rubber grease then install them.
    Don't push the pistons all the way back in to the back of the pot, or you will have trouble getting enough fluid in the caliper to push them back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't get it, there should be Bluespots on an R1 not 6 pot calipers?

From 2007 onwards, all R1's have 6 pot calipers.

Correct.

DSCN4690_zpszdthq7au.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

are you greasing the pistons and dustseals , i used that red rubber grease on a bandit rear caliper rebuild .

Hands up. I didn't know they had gone to 6 pot calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

josealdo wrote: »
    i used that red rubber grease on a bandit rear caliper rebuild .
    Where can you get that red grease?

• Advertisement

Where can you get that red grease?

the internet , i think i got mine off ebay or somewhere in the states , i think halfords stock it

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Hands up. I didn't know they had gone to 6 pot calipers.

i didn't know they started spelling them breke callipers either !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

josealdo wrote: »
    i didn't know they started spelling them breke callipers either !!!!

Yeah coz we totally didnt know what on earth the chap meant......:rolleyes:

Red rubber grease is good stuff for Brakes. Its vegetable based so doesn't affect rubber componentry.
    It is also not affected by Glycol Brake fluid so can be used inside the caliper as well.
    I'd be a little bit careful of using Silicone grease in a situation where the fluid might be DOT 5 which is silicone best not to use it in that situation as it could possibly react?
    I bought a 500g tub from Ebay, it will do me for a long time even with regular use as you only need a smear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Another shout for red rubber grease here. Replaced the rear caliper piston on my vstrom a few months ago and every guide I saw for it used red rubber grease. So I ordered a tub - 500g from morrisonbhp I think - going by how much I used and the size of the container it will last a life time.

Advertisement