Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get a bike, few questions

Options
  • 30-10-2015 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering I am 25 and I have a full car license and 6 years NCB insured with liberty currently. I am looking at getting a small bike for work and generally stuff I won't need the car for.

What type of licence can and should I go for?
    What's the best bike for learning and insurance?
    Budget for gear, helmet, boots, jacket and gloves, bike, training(ITB), I'll do insurance monthly. So could I get something for under 1k?

Thinking of a 125cc, with good fuel economy and good engine etc...

Any suggestions. Regards licence, bike, insurance and who to do ITB with?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You can go straight to an A license, so do that. Don't buy a 125cc unless you're never taking it off city streets.

There are a number of best bikes, currently you want anything around 600-650cc that's A compliant and doesn't have 'r' in its name for insurance. Whatever looks well to you.

Budget about 700 quid just to get your license: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGYbyGJPuM - Budget at least another 700 for gear and bits.

Your current NCB counts for nothing, even if you insure the bike with liberty (you get 10% for having an existing policy, I think).

You can get a bike for under 1k, same as you can get a car for under 1k. It'll be a banger unless you really know what you're looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

gerrowadat wrote: »
    You can go straight to an A license, so do that. Don't buy a 125cc unless you're never taking it off city streets.

There are a number of best bikes, currently you want anything around 600-650cc that's A compliant and doesn't have 'r' in its name for insurance. Whatever looks well to you.

Budget about 700 quid just to get your license: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGYbyGJPuM - Budget at least another 700 for gear and bits.

Your current NCB counts for nothing, even if you insure the bike with liberty (you get 10% for having an existing policy, I think).

You can get a bike for under 1k, same as you can get a car for under 1k. It'll be a banger unless you really know what you're looking at.

A 600/650cc sounds a little big for starting out?

I have been looking at Lexmoto bikes and getting quote of 370€ online or generally for any 125cc bike.

Will have a look at some 600/650cc bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Stay away from Chinese motorcycles like Lexmoto IMHO, inferior build quality & availability of parts would be my main concern.

I presume as you're only starting out, that you have no practical experience of maintaining a motorcycle, who will service it for you?

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Stay away from Chinese motorcycles like Lexmoto IMHO, inferior build quality & availability of parts would be my main concern.

I presume as you're only starting out, that you have no practical experience of maintaining a motorcycle, who will service it for you?

That was my concern with the Lexmark bikes once I heard it was Chinese and going by how there counterparts in the car world are, I might just steer clear.

Yes just starting out on the bike, I have been driving cars for around 8 years now and do all my own work on the cars, so I assume it will be the same for the bike regards, oil, filters, sparks etc.. Any work I am not sure of or outside my scope will be straight to a mechanic to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I agree with Mes, stay away from any of the Chinese garbage.
    Can’t go wrong with anything Honda

• Advertisement

Sounds good, thanks for the advise so far. Much appreciated.

So far I have decided I will go for the A license, will book it for next weekend maybe.

Regards training, I am a little confused, do these guys provide the bikes?

I would rather have everything license wise sorted, have some knowledge how to operate a bike, then go look for a bike. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I checked a few of the IBT vendor website awhile back and they provided the bikes, if memory serves some offered discounts if you had your own bike.

Im not sure how this would work for an Irish resident but as a foreigner im allowed to use my US license in Ireland for up to 12 months before converting, so in theory I can drive my bike to the IBT under my US license while training for my Irish license

I checked a few of the IBT vendor website awhile back and they provided the bikes, if memory serves some offered discounts if you had your own bike.

Im not sure how this would work for an Irish resident but as a foreigner im allowed to use my US license in Ireland for up to 12 months before converting, so in theory I can drive my bike to the IBT under my US license while training for my Irish license

Thanks for that! Okay, will report back when I have got the learner permit for the A license.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Don't forget you need to apply for and pass your theory test before you apply for your learner permit, then wait for a week for them to post it out to you so don't go booking your IBT just yet

mamax wrote: »
    Don't forget you need to apply for and pass your theory test before you apply for your learner permit, then wait for a week for them to post it out to you so don't go booking your IBT just yet

Yeah I get you, I have ordered the book and DVD combo pack for the questions on the Motorcycle part of the exam, I have an old CD around somewhere but I said its outdated at this stage. Should be covered for most of the rules of the road from having the full B, but you never know. No harm in having the stuff to look over.

Just going to take it one step at a time.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    A 600/650cc sounds a little big for starting out?

I have been looking at Lexmoto bikes and getting quote of 370€ online or generally for any 125cc bike.

Will have a look at some 600/650cc bikes.

If you're already driving and have a bit of sense 600/650 is grand. Believe me, there are some exceptionally boring bikes in that range :-)

Anything under that might end up being too small - I learned on a 250, and the thing would barely do 90kph full on in top gear. If you're going to be on the dualler or motorway, you're wasting your time on anything smaller as far as overtaking and being able to pull out of trouble goes. A smaller bike can actually be dangerous in situations like that.

Most IBT places will lend you a bike. I'd say don't go near buying your own bike until you've your IBT done on a school bike. Doesn't hurt to look though :-)

As for which bike, it's one of those 'how long is a piece of string?' questions. Pick a style of bike you want. Popular 600/650 style bikes right now would be bandits, hornets, sv650s, fazers, that kinda thing. Loads on donedeal, although you might want to stick with dealers for a warranty if you're starting out. If you have your heart set on a bigger tourer or a cruiser, the options change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The best thing to do is to choose a trainer that will have a range of bikes to let you try. You'd be very surprised how quickly you'll outgrow them. My first was a Bandit 600 and my second was (is- I still own it!) a GSX1400 which I got a few months into my career.

My advice to all noobs is to just take it a step at a time. Treat IBT as a challenge and once you have the cert, take it from there. You may decide biking isn't for you (doubt it though!). Trainers will provide bikes, gear, insurance etc etc meaning that you can get to that point with little more financial commitment than the cost of IBT which is a few bob to be fair, but it would be whole lot more if you'd bought a bike, insurance, tax, gear and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

its 700 to get a license now?
    **************?

Tigger wrote: »
    its 700 to get a license now?
    **************?

More or less.

45 theory test
    35 learner permit
    450-500 or so IBT training and etc.
    85 for test booking (assuming you pass first time)
    35 again for adding the category to a car license (or full license if not).

Anyone know if i need an eye test again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If you have a current driving licence then no, you shouldn't.

Definitely not unless you have moved from a state of needing glasses to not needing them eg after laser eye surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Actually now that you mention it I should do that. Had laser about four years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do the ibt and try get a go on as many different bikes as possible. Then, once you've that in the bag you'll have a much better idea about what kinda bike you like to ride and what you'll be using it for and you can make a more informed decision as to what to buy.

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Actually now that you mention it I should do that. Had laser about four years ago!

You'll need that eyesight report but you'll get the new licence free from the NDLS as it's a change of personal details. You should probably make a point of getting on this because while you have the 01 notation on your licence, it's legal requirement that you wear corrective lenses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Do the IBT first, and you may save more than the cost of the training with the stuff you learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,791 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone know if i need an eye test again?

You do need an eye test yes.

Ok so because I have the full B I don't need an eye sight test? I'm sure I will figure it out anyway, just thought I ask.

Yeah going to do IBT after I get the licence and see what type of bike I like, would suit my riding etc..

Are ISM up in Finglas any good for IBT?

Still awaiting book and disk to arrive so I can do some questions, hope to cover it in a week or so, just the bike stuff and I guess a few general rules of road questions I will not be up to speed on.

Can't believe the price of a licence has jumped so much think it was 25€ for mine a few years ago !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

LookBehindYou (commented earlier) is your only man for IBT, send him a PM.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

If you go and do the IBT does this have an expiry date ? Would love to do it now but won't be getting a bike for a year or two , will take the sting out of the other stuff I will need to buy!

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    If you go and do the IBT does this have an expiry date ? Would love to do it now but won't be getting a bike for a year or two , will take the sting out of the other stuff I will need to buy!

It lasts 2 years.

zubair wrote: »
    LookBehindYou (commented earlier) is your only man for IBT, send him a PM.

Spoke with him, reasonable price also for 1:1, now to get my licence ! Was up the libary, done a test up there and passed. So hopefully can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,791 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I still had to get an eye test, ive had the Full B for 10 years +

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    You do need an eye test yes.
    listermint wrote: »
    I still had to get an eye test, ive had the Full B for 10 years +

There are some very rare circumstances where you might need one but if you haven't earned your entitlements abroad, there wasn't a form-filling foul up that required clarification or something changed with your eyesight then you shouldn't have been required to submit one. If you were instructed to, I'm afraid you were sent on a fool's errand. There have been a lot of changes and also, don't forget, the NDLS are only in existence for two years so there has been a lot of misinformation at different times.
    Ok so because I have the full B I don't need an eye sight test? I'm sure I will figure it out anyway, just thought I ask.

As long as there's an eyesight report against your driver number, you're covered. Your driver number will be the same on both your full licence and permit. It's linked to your identity much like your PPS number. At the very least, being a licence holder allows the NDLS to assume your eyesight is not in question.
    Can't believe the price of a licence has jumped so much think it was 25€ for mine a few years ago !

Well you get a nice polycarbonate card now and you're saved the hassle and expense of getting photos. It will be €35 for the permit.

Advertisement