Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

700cc as a first time bike?

Options
  • 26-09-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Okay, thinking of getting a bike. Prefer the cruiser style bikes, so was looking at Virago 250s mostly. However saw a Virago 700 today, decent price at €2200, very low mileage. But was wondering would 700cc bike be "too much" as a beginners bike?
    It would be used mostly for my commute to work, 8-9 miles round trip so no major distance involved. From the specs online there is quite a weight difference between the 700 and 250 models so am assuming the 700 is more difficult to control, so at least would require an experienced biker?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Don't they need to have a limiter on them until you passed your test?

But, still seems an awful big bike.

I looked into getting a bike briefly at one stage and there didn't seem to be an obvious starter bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

there's no restriction on the A license provisional, so no limiter until after you've passed your test (if you're over 24 and can get the A.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Are you big
    It's not a huge bike have you earned to ride and done your cbt
    If you can ride a bike then just see if you can ride it and if you can then I'd say go for it
    I rember the first time I rode a "big " bike and I thought "this is easier than I thought it would be .

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Should have mentioned I'm 43 have yet to do the IBT. I'm about 5' 8" so not huge. One if the reasons I like the Virago (and most cruisers) is the seat position which allows me to have my feet planted flat on the ground.

Cheers,
    Sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Would say its better than the 250cc, which I think you would grow out of very fast. If that's the kind of bike you're interested in, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Would say its better than the 250cc, which I think you would grow out of very fast.

You can't do your A test on a 250cc bike.

I got an 800cc bike as my first bike. I do my test soon, so have been riding it since Jan on my learner permit.

Definitely worth getting a decent bike that will do all you need, rather than a starter bike, and then move to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I had a couple of scooters and then a 125 Veradero over the course of a few years. I never did a test.

So decided to bite the bullet a few years ago and went with 650cc Vstrom. I have to say I found it very different to the smaller bikes in weight and handling. I think you'd be better off going with the 700 earlier. No point in buying a bike you might need to sell in the near future.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Do yourself a favour and get a naked bike like a Fazer, Bandit or Hornet.

Cruisers are for people who like leather vests and assless chaps.
    All show and no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Pugzilla wrote: »

All show and no go.

Each to their own. I like the look of them. Some of us are not speed freaks and want to wear ninja leather suits, showing off our scraped knee sliders.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mcginty28

I started on a bandit 600 that was restricted, passed the test on it and now it's unrestricted and still using it after 3 years. I would recommend starting on a bigger bike, as said if it's a smaller one you'll only look at selling it after a short while. Think the smaller bikes are better for younger lads to start on so they don't get carried away with the power but you're mature enough to know better!! 😂

• Advertisement

Each to their own. I like the look of them. Some of us are not speed freaks and want to wear ninja leather suits, showing off our scraped knee sliders.

None of those are sportbikes. They're just normal and well balanced motorcycles designed for everyday use in the real world. Shows how much you know.

Majority of Cruisers have bad handling, poor ground clearance and are overweight (just like their owners). Form over function, a concept I have no respect for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

All show and no go.

Bullsh*t post.

Bullsh*t post.

Please tell me why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Please tell me why?

My 1800 V-Twin handles quite well

KTR1C wrote: »
    My 1800 V-Twin handles quite well

Compared to what? A boss hoss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Please tell me why?

No, I'll let you stew in your ignorance.

No, I'll let you stew in your ignorance.

Lots of types of bikes: naked, sportbike, sport-tourer, tourer, dual sport, adventure. They all have a genuine purpose. Form follows function.

Cruisers are for posing.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Go for it, My dads first bike was a 525 viagro, I just turned 24 and by first bike is a bandit 600. On
    it 5 months with a provisional love every second of the big bike.

Your insurance will be buttons I am paying 399 dad renewed his and is paying 265 on a provisional aswell.

Safe riding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

All show and no go.

out of interest, what are you driving yourself ?

I'm a great heel. Getting a lot of heat here.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    out of interest, what are you driving yourself ?

Hornet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hornet

those Hornet 900s would be quick enough ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Forget the foreplay with chicken chasers like r6s and cbr600rrs and get a cbr1100 blackbird, hayabusa or a ducati 1098.

gctest50 wrote: »
    those Hornet 900s would be quick enough ?

It's a 600, but it's fast enough for what I do, commuting and back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Get the bike you want to get, simple as. Take up friendly advice and ignore the rest.

Personally I wouldn't go near anything less than a 500cc if you're going to be riding outside city streets, or if you're already an experienced road user. A 250cc cruiser will struggle to do motorway (or even dual carriageway) speeds, and will be a danger to you because you're trying to choke the life out of it. This would also apply on corners, where having a bit of pull will get you out of some scrapes. For better or worse, your average cruiser seems to be less quick off the draw than most bikes, just how the type of bike is set up and tuned.

A learner will be grand on a 700, you'll get more use out of the bike rather than wanting to trade up after a few short months.

If you have the means, test ride both, even off the road. Sadly, test rides are hard to come by before you have your license (and even after).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm a great heel. Getting a lot of heat here.

Generalising an entire class of bikes?
    I'd call you a jobber tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Why would anyone want a naked bike for every day use in a country where it rains every day?

Buy what you like, there'll always be a twat telling you everything is **** except their own bike.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Why would anyone want a naked bike for every day use in a country where it rains every day?

Buy what you like, there'll always be a twat telling you everything is **** except their own bike.

The bandit and fazer have faired models, still classed as nakeds.

I like every type of bike except cruisers. They're the most popular class of bikes in America, says it all really.

Generalising an entire class of bikes?
    I'd call you a jobber tbh.

Jobbers don't generate much heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The bandit and fazer have faired models, still classed as nakeds.

I like every type of bike except cruisers. They're the most popular class of bikes in America, says it all really.
    I used a cruiser in America earlier this year and I can see why. I'd own one if I lived there.

Advertisement