Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain o rings

Options
  • 16-09-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Cleaning the chain today I noticed a number of other rings are damaged. Are o rings replaceable or has the chains life been radically reduced now? Also any major dangers involved with damaged or rings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Chain is fooked.
    Get a new one, check the sprockets at the same time.
    JT do an OK O-ring but DID are still better.
    No immediate danger from o-rings being beat but you may find the chain getting stiff in places and affecting the sprocket wear.
    A standard non-sealed chain can be good value if you lube it regularly, I have one on a dirtbike thats lasted well, dry and lubricate for long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Chain is fooked.
    Get a new one, check the sprockets at the same time.
    JT do an OK O-ring but DID are still better.
    No immediate danger from o-rings being beat but you may find the chain getting stiff in places and affecting the sprocket wear.
    A standard non-sealed chain can be good value if you lube it regularly, I have one on a dirtbike thats lasted well, dry and lubricate for long life.

Ah christ. It's still flexible and no tight spots. I'll try and get the winter put of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ah christ. It's still flexible and no tight spots. I'll try and get the winter put of her.
    Drive her on till you are ready for the NC!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

Had the same issue with my 250 recently, missing x-ring and a stiff link. I decided, feck it...I'll keep driving it. I drive it a lot, and forget about it. I still lube the chain but will probably only replace when I notice a bigger issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You should try to free up the stiff link. It makes the chain tension rise and fall a lot each time it goes around. Too loose at the loose part and it might hop off, too tight at the tight part and it puts stress on the gearbox output shaft bearing - the bearing costs a few quid but on most bikes it's an engine split to get at it.

If you can't reach an acceptable compromise between 'not too loose at the loosest part' and 'not too tight at the tightest part' then the chain needs to be replaced

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

You should try to free up the stiff link. It makes the chain tension rise and fall a lot each time it goes around. Too loose at the loose part and it might hop off, too tight at the tight part and it puts stress on the gearbox output shaft bearing - the bearing costs a few quid but on most bikes it's an engine split to get at it.

If you can't reach an acceptable compromise between 'not too loose at the loosest part' and 'not too tight at the tightest part' then the chain needs to be replaced

Chain is fine for now. No tight spots. I'll just ride it until it gets bad.

Advertisement