Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many connection's. ..

Options
  • 23-07-2015 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello all

Question for anyone who electrical minded.

I've a Honda Deauville 08 and earlier in the year I fitted hot grips as the winter weather was killing the fun of the daily commute. Then I through on the 12v socket to charge the phone while out on a spin.

Got a PIMA using the phone as a satnav & was lucky enough to get a Zumo (thanks again for the heads up on that offer). fitted it last night. Delighted with it.

What's worrying me is have I connected too much to the battery. ??

All the wires are fused separately and well insulated not worried about a short, but concerned that in the winter if I'm running all three at once the output will exceed the imput and drain the sh1t out of the battery?

Currently not using a charger, never needed to and always check that everything is turned off after the fun has ended. But wondering will I need to jump start sooner or later?

Was thinking of buying a trickle charger but is it really necessary?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

These things won't be drawing power from the battery when they're off...it's the same as not having them connected, so don't worry about that.

If you're driving, which should be the only time they're on, then your battery is being charged as you're driving, if the charging system is capable of it.

So really it's down to the charging system, rather than the battery: i.e., is it capable of outputting more watts than you're consuming from the battery, and hence charge it? I'd say almost definitely, yes...especially on a Deauville.

Satnav devices consumes feck all. Heated grips a bit more, but I'd still say you would have buckets of usable watts left over.

I think you're fine, don't worry about it.

You can work these things out, but unless you're hooking up fog flights, heated jackets, laptops, and the like, I really wouldn't waste my time. Obviously be sensible in what you use while the bike is off!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Are the heated grips connected through a relay or direct to Battery?
    I'd think about running the grips through a relay if you can due to their draw.
    Switch the relay with the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah deffo have them connected to the ignition at least.....nightmare to leave on after the bike has been turned off. Or some kid pressing buttons when you not there and battery flat when you come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Fabio

The Deauville puts out something in the region of 400w from the alternator. Heated grips can take UP TO 50w of that I think, but probably a good bit less. The rest are all small fry so you'll have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It only puts out 400W if it's revving enough, around town especially on twins/triples you're often not putting big revs on it. Couple that with lots of time spent stopped at lights with headlights/heated grips/stop lights on and you can be draining the battery on town rides in winter.

If you don't get out for at least one long spin a week then it's no harm sticking it on a trickle charge over the weekend once or twice a month in winter. The Lidl 10 euro motorcycle battery charger is perfect for this, no need for Optimate or similar.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

If you want to reduce the draw on the battery a simple change is LED bulbs for your running lights. The reduction from these alone will cover the Satnav and USB draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hedges

Thanks for the reply lads.

All three are wired direct to the battery. Never even thought of little fingers pressing buttons and turning something on. (Or big fingers, know a few geniuses who love pressing bottons) Wiring via a relay is a simple fix.

The daily commute is a good hour of both motorway and town riding, five days a week. And a little longer on the way home, the long way home....
    So the battery should get a good charge most of the time.

I'm liking the LED lights idea. Possible a bit of an extreme mod for a Deauville but it's my bus and I'll trick it as I like.

Thanks again for the replies.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

If you are unsure, hook up an avo meter to the battery with the engine running and turn on every possible electric item you have including full beam and hazards, brake light etc. If you are still showing over 12.5 volts you are ok. Ideally it should show around 13.8volts. I personally don't think you are overloading a D'Ville with the items you have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hedges

Excellent suggestion. I'll test that tomorrow. Thanks for the advise.

Advertisement