Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triumph Street Triple

Options
  • 21-07-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I've been researching this bike for the last couple of months while I'm completing my DAS. Looks to be a pretty good machine goin on the many reviews online I've seen. Any boardsies own one of these? If so what are your opinions on the bike? What's it like on a day to day basis and how have you found the upkeep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    I've been researching this bike for the last couple of months while I'm completing my DAS. Looks to be a pretty good machine goin on the many reviews online I've seen. Any boardsies own one of these? If so what are your opinions on the bike? What's it like on a day to day basis and how have you found the upkeep?

Talk to Ktric he had one. Also, a few on here had different trumph triples and would happily give you advice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

They are a fabulous machine, especially the newer versions. I took many a test ride on the new top spec in McCallans (worth the trip up if you fancy a test ride) and its incredible to ride. The triple is a great engine and the handling and brakes are very good, obviously not much wind protection but you cant complain about that....

All round arguably the best naked bike out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

I have a speed triple for a year now, fantastic bike, always had sports bikes for the past 20 years, wish I got one sooner, I use it only for weekend spins though, so not sure how it would cope with daily commute, the street is a great bike too, head up to mccallens and take a test ride, I was up there last week, one of the best shops in the country,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    All round arguably the best naked bike out there.
    Nope...Yamaha MT-01 or Ducati Diavel IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Thanks for all the feedback. Do you think it would be a suitable 1st bike for a newly qualified rider?

• Advertisement

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Nope...Yamaha MT-01 or Ducati Diavel IMHO

Thats why I said arguably, opinions vary.

Personally I prefer the Triple, maybe I am biased having been on the sprint and it felt familiar.

Thats why I said arguably, opinions vary.
    Different horses for different courses Wonda ;)

Different horses for different courses Wonda ;)

Exactly what I said m8, wasnt been smart.

Also the new BMW R1200R is out, different animal again. And the S1000XR the upright variant of the S1000RR is getting a naked version also in next quarter.

Exactly what I said m8, wasnt been smart.

Also the new BMW R1200R is out, different animal again. And the S1000XR the upright variant of the S1000RR is getting a naked version also in next quarter.
    Just when you're happy with what you got, they bring out something new to entice us...damn this two wheel addiction of ours :pac::pac::pac:

Just when you're happy with what you got, they bring out something new to entice us...damn this two wheel addiction of ours :pac::pac::pac:

And its always more expensive. Never value for money :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback. Do you think it would be a suitable 1st bike for a newly qualified rider?

I think it would be a great choice, but make sure to get an insurance quote first, some new starters buy a bike first and then find out they can't get insurance

A litre bike would not be ideal, but you can get a lower cc speed triple also. The 1050cc Speed Triple is no slouch!

A litre bike would not be ideal, but you can get a lower cc speed triple also. The 1050cc Speed Triple is no slouch!

think the OP is taking about 675 Street Triple

thelawman wrote: »
    think the OP is taking about 675 Street Triple

Koola Boola.....the older models with the twin headlights are nice too. Except that purple colour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Koola Boola.....the older models with the twin headlights are nice too. Except that purple colour!!!

I seen a lad in one of them older models is a metallic purple. . . . He had a purple helmet too!!

I'll get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

Had mine since 2008 (roulette green 675)

Great bikes, engine is the star of the show - pulls very linearly from very low down, very predictable, and great power imo. Excellent town bike, as its very quick off the line, and the lack of fairing doesn't hamper you

Wouldn't recommend if your commute is on motorways or fast national roads much, as no wind protection does tire you..
    Also wouldn't recommend if you're north of 6ft, as theyre diminutive bikes really..

Id go for the 'R' version also (probably save you money in the long run - I winded up putting Ohlins on mine..)

Just to clarify the STREET triple is 675cc the SPEED triple is 1050cc, just in case anyone is looking at them online and did not cop it.

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    I seen a lad in one of them older models is a metallic purple. . . . He had a purple helmet too!!

I'll get me coat

There is a lovely gun metal grey in the older model with gold forks and finish. Its a lovely bike.

Yea the matte grey (graphite) was an 'R' edition iirc - radial brakes, adjustable suspension front and rear

out in 2009, alongside the matte orange one

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Wossack wrote: »
    Yea the matte grey (graphite) was an 'R' edition iirc - radial brakes, adjustable suspension front and rear

out in 2009, alongside the matte orange one

Yes it's the same matte grey and black that the special edition 1050 tiger came it. Lovely mix of colours

• Advertisement

We are not doing it justice calling it matte grey in fairness, its a lovely perlescent qlimmer to it.

Link to a lovely example some mush in the US has....really sexy bike.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23464

Wossack wrote: »
    Id go for the 'R' version also (probably save you money in the long run - I winded up putting Ohlins on mine..)

Did you find the suspension lacking on the standard model? Is it really worth the extra £?

yea, I'd have gone for an 'r' had it been available at the time (and I liked any of the R colours.. not gone on the matte paint personally)

Did you find the suspension lacking on the standard model? Is it really worth the extra £?

Unless you push mad hard or wanna track it, it should be fine for the majority of tasks mate.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If this is your first bike then I would get something older and spend a year on it before getting the street triple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Went to buy one few years back and the test ride put me off tbh. The bike is brilliant in the turns but once you get it unto the motorway it really is lacking. That said im 6ft 2" so maybe not the best bike for me anyway.

Just realised I never updated this. Bought a 2010 black Street Triple R back in September. It's absolutely brilliant. My confidence has built steadily since then. I've ridden to and from work most days (except during the snow and ice) and have been out with a few mates on runs at the weekends. Went to the IOM a few weeks ago and had a couple of laps of the tt course too :-D Great craic altogether!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What's the wind buffeting like. How fast is comfortable?

At 90+mph the wind is trying its best to push me off the back of the bike; unbearable for long periods without ducking down behind the screen. I tend to tuck in as much as possible once I get to 70mph. I'd imagine a fully faired bike to be more comfortable in that regard at those speeds anyway. I suppose it helps keep me under 100mph which is a good thing haha ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

I Changed from sports bikes to a 2010 street triple 4 months ago. I find it fantastic. I use it to commute from about 20km as well as spins at the weekend
    I find the seating position and the low down power gives me much more control in cornering and around traffic and the engine has plenty a power.

I do accept the criticism about the wind when you get around 90mph on the motorways (maybe thats not such a bad thing)
    but the bike is so responsive and fun its unreal

ill be playing with the idea of putting a bigger screen on it later on and make it the ultimate all around Bike for me.

20160606_205856_zpsakjttemh.jpg

Advertisement