Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might have made a f##k up

Options
  • 19-07-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi guys
    Bought a bike today off a company/shop
    Have zeroo experience on bikes, Use to have quads and decided id like to go at something again.
    So going off the fellas advice i bought a cr125 off him
    Got home and now im seriously regretting it. Im 23 about 7-8stone and 5'6-5'7
    Cant touch the ground atall, Took off the seat and i can touch it on my tippys, Bike feels really heavy akward to pull around.
    Considering maybe giving it back as i think it may be two dangerous
    Should i just go back to quads
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

this girl is about 5 foot 2 - born deaf so can't hear the other bikes

skilled n tough though - she broke her collarbone at the start of that and continued on

f5034ced05471ee6212101e9b0445b52.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Even a smaller engined bike is gonna be similar size. Ride her on, be grand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Give it a go for a week or 2, it's not bad when you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Masterkey01

Will i just go ahead and lower the bike, Raed a few things online so far bout seat shaving and lowering spacer.
    Obviously i want to be able to comfortably have both feet on the ground, as ive never ridden before.
    Is it common for the bikes to feel quite heavy etc

Leave it the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Will i just go ahead and lower the bike, Raed a few things online so far bout seat shaving and lowering spacer.
    Obviously i want to be able to comfortably have both feet on the ground, as ive never ridden before.
    Is it common for the bikes to feel quite heavy etc

Don't do that. Leave as is and give it a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rock_face

I tihnk you are talking about altering the dog bones which hold the suspension. This will alter the handling of the bike - are you just raking around or do you want it for racing?

Taking the seat cover off and shaving the seat foam would be a better option, but you'll probably not get enough off to make enough difference. Can you soften the suspension to allow it to compress more when you are on it - I think it is the preload you'd need to adjust. Look online or get someone to look into that for you. Maybe a combination of the two would give you sufficient drop.

But try it for a while before you do anthing drastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You'll be used to it in a few days. One of the best pilots i ever knew had to run along beside his bike and hop up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Could you put stabilisers on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This wouldn't be a Wicklow based shop would it?
    Selling a CR125 to a newbie is a stupid move on the shops part, regardless of whether or not you are tall enough.
    A 2 stroke MX 125 is not a learner machine for offroad, what a new rider needs is smooth controllable power to gain confidence not a peaky powerband.
    Something like an XR200/250 or DR250 would be a good starter machine.
    I know you are used to quads but a 2 wheeler is a lot different to a quad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

A cr125 is a chicken chaser charlie haughey, what would you suggest a honda 50 with off road tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Hi guys
    Bought a bike today off a company/shop
    Have zeroo experience on bikes, Use to have quads and decided id like to go at something again.
    So going off the fellas advice i bought a cr125 off him
    Got home and now im seriously regretting it. Im 23 about 7-8stone and 5'6-5'7
    Cant touch the ground atall, Took off the seat and i can touch it on my tippys, Bike feels really heavy akward to pull around.
    Considering maybe giving it back as i think it may be two dangerous
    Should i just go back to quads
    Thanks

Don't mind me asking but did you not hop on the bike when you were in the shop?

+1

Was on a 125 when I was 12 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

As above give a week or so, youure not gonna get much smaller unless you go for a cruiser type, which if you cant get comfortable is always an option. also with the weight, it should alright at stand still no? but at any sort of speed that bike is gonna fairly light.

all said and done, its your own comfort and confidence thats gonna be the deciding factor.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

A cr125 is a chicken chaser charlie haughey, what would you suggest a honda 50 with off road tyres?

Think he suggested a 4 stroke 250 which has a more linear power delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Old Perry wrote: »
    As above give a week or so, youure not gonna get much smaller unless you go for a cruiser type, which if you cant get comfortable is always an option. also with the weight, it should alright at stand still no? but at any sort of speed that bike is gonna fairly light.

all said and done, its your own comfort and confidence thats gonna be the deciding factor.

Bit awkward doing offroad stuff on a cruiser though. Would be funny to see nevertheless.

No, Honda 50's aren't very good offroad, if you really want that style then a CT90 is a better bet but doesn't have the suspension travel of an MX or Enduro bike.
    So you learned to ride a CR125R?
    The main reasons you would not buy a 125 two stroke as a leaner machine is the power is probably 25 hp odd and it all arrives at 9000 rpm.
    As a learner offroad you want smooth power, halfway up a wet snotty hill s not where you want to find the power coming in thick and fast.
    Secondly the suspension is designed to handle MX conditions which are not the same as offroad and enduro conditions, usually more seat height is a starting point to more suspension travel.
    Thirdly 2 stroke MX bikes are designed to be rebuilt on a regular basis, piston and rings are consumables in these engines unlike a 4t Enduro bike.

I have nothing against 2 strokes, in fact I really like them and have one myself.
    But its a vintage enduro machine and doesn't hit as hard as a MX bike.
    Bear in mind the OP said he was 7-8 stone and has never ridden a bike before do you really think the CR125R is the best choice to buy as a learner machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Cant believe you bought the bike without sitting on it, or did you feel pressured/embarrassed maybe ??
    The bike feels heavy (to you) because its so tall....once youre milling around it wont feel heavy....
    Know plenty of guys around your height that ride bigger mx bikes....stick with it...you'll be grand....;)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Bit awkward doing offroad stuff on a cruiser though. Would be funny to see nevertheless.

ha, didnt cop that at all, why did i think yad bought a nsr. ah well, im about same size as yourself and my first bike was a yz. not a hope of touchin both feet to ground, but sure it made no difference. and ya'll get used to luggin it around no bother.

• Advertisement

Ok update everyone
    Swapped the bike for a ktm85 much happier now as i can touch the ground etc, and because im so light the bike still has plenty of power for now while i learn how to ride then we can progress onto bigger
    I appreciate eveyones help and comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ok update everyone
    Swapped the bike for a ktm85 much happier now as i can touch the ground etc, and because im so light the bike still has plenty of power for now while i learn how to ride then we can progress onto bigger
    I appreciate eveyones help and comments

Dont rage when you get taken at the traffic lights by a mobility scooter brah!!!

;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont rage when you get taken at the traffic lights by a mobility scooter brah!!!

;);)

MX mobility scooter....i'd buy one...:p

;);)

And when am i going to be at the lights brahh!!

Is that a big wheel 85? They are a very nice machine.
    Use the best 2 stroke you can buy when you mix the fuel and keep on top of the gearbox oil and you should be fine.
    Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rock_face

Glad it worked out for you - enjoy the bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

;);)

you would actually be surprised how nippy the 85s are!

Advertisement