Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SV 650 opinion's please.

Options
  • 11-07-2015 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Well the day every parent dreads has come ~ my son wants to buy his first motorbike :(

I know, I know I should be delighted but my parental instincts are kicking in.

Instead of discouraging him I'd rather be a mentor and set him on his way to a biking life of safe and happy riding.

So to the bikes (this thread my change from time to time seeking opinions on different bikes).

He's 24, provisional license.

He's a tall lad at 6'1''

And he's got his eye on something like the SV650.

His budget will be €2500 max (for the bike).

Any years he should avoid, any pitfalls to watch for etc?.

Also alternatives to the SV?.. (anything but a Bandit, pieces of crap).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good choice TBH, might not be the most comfortable for his size but a great starter bike. Very forgiving and the engine braking will help him early on. I am sure lads will be on giving the best yrs to buy and yrs to avoid, I personally would opt for a FZ6 or Honda Hornet over the SV650 but that is just personal taste.

Even a Honda CB500 is a great learner bike. Not to mention the Vstrom 650 if he likes the twins (be more comfortable for him too)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Well the day every parent dreads has come ~ my son wants to buy his first motorbike :(

I know, I know I should be delighted but my parental instincts are kicking in.

Instead of discouraging him I'd rather be a mentor and set him on his way to a biking life of safe and happy riding.

So to the bikes (this thread my change from time to time seeking opinions on different bikes).

He's 24, provisional license.

He's a tall lad at 6'1''

And he's got his eye on something like the SV650.

His budget will be €2500 max (for the bike).

Any years he should avoid, any pitfalls to watch for etc?.

Also alternatives to the SV?.. (anything but a Bandit, pieces of crap).

I've never had one, but check out http://cycle-ergo.com/ to get an idea of sizes of bikes. Gives an idea of how comfy/squished it might get on certain bikes.

Oh and best of luck and many happy miles mini Maki

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I got one (pointy not curvy) as my 2 year restriction bike. Very nice, and as a twin it is a decent safe power restriction.

The only downside of the bike was the front suspension wasn't the best for track days so I put in an after market thingumejig that was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

A good starter bike, that he won't get bored of too quickly.
    Not sure if it would suit someone that tall tho, but that's a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Im just shy of 6ft and i found my sv very comfortable, i had a nice set of straight renthals on mine tho which mad it much better. Mine was 04. Great power and sound from the vtwin. Excellent starter bike. Agree on the vstrom too, nice size for a tall lad and same engine as the sv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

terrydel wrote: »
    Not sure if it would suit someone that tall tho, but that's a personal thing.

Set of adjustable rearsets would help alot if liked the bike and found it a little cramped. And as was said a set new bars.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

V strom better than SV for tall rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I don't have a bike but am getting very strong desires for everything two wheels of late...so some great advice here.

Can I ask though OP, why do you say the Bandit is a piece of crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I believe the Hyosung 650 is a similar bike to the SV for smaller money. You see them in yellow sometimes, I was chatting to a lad that that has one and he really rates it. I was trying to persuade my lad to buy one as a first bike but he was determined to go middleweight sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I believe the Hyosung 650 is a similar bike to the SV for smaller money. You see them in yellow sometimes, I was chatting to a lad that that has one and he really rates it. I was trying to persuade my lad to buy one as a first bike but he was determined to go middleweight sports.

Probably a great bike, but the Irish dont like things that dont have a big name...look how long it took us to accept Skoda...and bikers are the worst offenders.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

A good choice IMO that's what I started off on and I commuted everyday in all weather and I always found it comfortable. I loved the sound and engine braking. I'm 6ft2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cheers guys, I appreciate the time you've taken to answer.

We've looked up the Vstrom and its just a little outside his budget, but a nice bike all the same.

Someone asked about the Bandit, I detest the yokes. We use them in work, they're a horrible thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

+1000 to the SV - my SO has one (lowered) = so the only issue is comfort imho.

Lovely engine, easy to ride.

I ride an NT700 a fair bit, and it shows up just how good the SV is in comparison, engine-wise. I think the DL is the obvious answer if fit becomes an issue but as you say, with fewer of them around, they are a bit more expensive - who knows, maybe his Dad might help him out with the difference........ :)

Btw, re licences etc, I know the Leinster Driving Campus have an SV on their training fleet, so that might be one way of combining training and seeing if an SV would 'work' for him, in one go.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I've covered 12k kms or more on mine, I use it for commuting and spins and it's an excellent bike. It's got plenty of poke without being too crazy, I'd say it's probably learner friendly. I have no intention of changing it for something bigger (or 'better').

Unless he's using it for commuting I'd go with the naked rather than the S. I don't like the clips on as they make slow/ tight control unnecessarily difficult at times. You obviously learn to adapt and manage but handlebars are easier for filtering and slow control. I think this could be a big handicap for someone who's just learning and something that's not brought up much. I know some people find their wrists get sore/ tired with them too but I don't get this.

When I was buying mine I wanted the injection version and looked for K4 on, I only overlooked the K3 as I preferred the black frame over the silver.

If you want to know anything specific about the bike, feel free to give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cheers guys, I appreciate the time you've taken to answer.

We've looked up the Vstrom and its just a little outside his budget, but a nice bike all the same.

Someone asked about the Bandit, I detest the yokes. We use them in work, they're a horrible thing IMO.

I wouldnt discount the Strom, You can get good member owned examples for your budget. Just have to keep a good eye out on the UK forums.

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Probably a great bike, but the Irish dont like things that dont have a big name...look how long it took us to accept Skoda...and bikers are the worst offenders.:)

lot more evidence of them 'probably' being **** in fairness..

Reason you dont see many high mileage ones is they've either blown their engines (valves/cam chains on the 125s and 650s), or melted in the rain (the chrome ones)

Wossack wrote: »
    lot more evidence of them 'probably' being **** in fairness..

Reason you dont see many high mileage ones is they've either blown their engines (valves/cam chains on the 125s and 650s), or melted in the rain (the chrome ones)

A lad in work had one, it broke his heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've had mine for about five years now with no issues. Great bike, looks good, easy to ride around town, sounds well, decent fairing for the motorway and even is reasonably comfy for a pillion. The stock forks are probably the weakspot and front brakes are not amazing either. Expect 220km out of a tank which is bit of a pain if doing big miles. The service interval is 6k km which a lot of people don't realise so make sure you get one which has been looked after. There are a few stories of engines seizing on them but they should be OK if minded. Valve clearances due every 24k km so check this has been done spending on mileage. Happy to answer any specific questions

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

i have a low mileage immaculate 07 kle 500 for sale, might be a good bet, at around the budget too. also a nice cb500s OR a triumph speedmaster , keeping one of these for wife starting on bikes...kle and triumph on adverts cb not yet advertised

Well we picked up a 'curvy' this morning.

A cracking little bit in more or less original condition.

361340.jpg

Got some work to do on it.. The throttle is sticking, front brakes are useless and no idle off the choke.

But its in more or less original condition, although I'm unsure if its restricted or not (the seller didn't know). Its feeling pretty gutless but I haven't rode a small bike in a few years so its hard to know until I pull the carbs out.

Its handling is really nice, I can see why they're a popular production twin racer.

There's probably a day or two work in her, a new stubby can and it'll be a cracking little bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RAIMEIS

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

RAIMEIS wrote: »
    A vulgar common and ugly piece of crap.

I own a K9 BANDIT 650 S ABS and it looks like a real bike.
    Not like a degenerate moped of yours.

Anyway good luck for selling it back. A mug wakes up every morning.
    This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I have seen on boards and I have been here a while.
    Dissing someone elses pride and joy is a silly, childish and ignorant.
    Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

my condolences

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RAIMEIS

Why do you ask for opinions, then? Are you looking for a yes man kinda answer?
    Because I do think what I say.
    You think what you want about the BANDIT, I maintain it is a real bike compared to that.
    Ask for positive opinions ONLY in your post. But please don't call that a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

You realize the degenerate moped would piss all over your bandit yeah?
    You think what you want about the BANDIT, I maintain it is a real bike compared to that.

no one said you have to agree but you don't have to go out of your way to be insulting about it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

WTF else is it? An ostrich? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Raimes Banned

Zascar wrote: »
    Raimes Banned

But he was fun :P

Anyway, I'm collecting the bike this evening for the lad.. A nice 120km ride home on a bike half the size of my own, this should be fun!.

I can not believe that the little two year old sitting on my work bike has just bought his own, 21 years later!!.

361585.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Was that a dispatch GT550?
    Great outfit, Sam Brown and the leather satchel.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Was that a dispatch GT550?
    Great outfit, Sam Brown and the leather satchel.

Thats it.. And ironically enough after that lads rant, we're using Bandit 600's now and they're the worse pile of crap we've ever had lol.

I done my course on a Yamaha XS400, we used to say the 'XS stood for 'Extra Septic' lol.

The GT's were superb bikes, best courier bike ever.

Advertisement