Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering/Buying OEM Parts Bikes

Options
  • 08-07-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all.

I am currently doing some work on GSXR. I've bought an OEM fender to replace the lucky bag yoke that was on it. I've been trying to get the OEM bolts and other pieces to finish it off.

The only websites I can find that sell and ship to Ireland are US sites. For 4 bolts that cost less than €3 it costs over €60 to ship them to Ireland.

Sites like bikebandit.com or motoSport is all I can seem to find that will give you a catalog of part numbers that you can just place the order directly. Anyone know of any sites based in UK or Ireland that have cheap shipping rates if it is across the water.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ive seen stuff like that before on US sites. Their website is just pricing it using a courier. Drop them an email and ask them to pop the bolts into registered international mail for you instead of a courier.

9 times out of 10 ive found companies will do this no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I've used motorcyclespareparts.eu for smaller widgets once or twice. Also a good way of finding part numbers if you have a local supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I had a similar dilemma recently with some pricey V-Strom and DR parts. In the end I decided the small additional cost of using my local dealer (no postage charges) was the best option - and I was pleased to support them.

I've heard good think about Robinsons Foundry in UK but have not used them yet. They were certainly prompt and helpful via email
    Ron Ayers in USA offer good savings - depending on delivery charges of course. Good parts fiche too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Robinsons are good - haven't used them in a while, but for years I got a lot of Suzuki stuff from them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

City spares have a box of "Lucky-dip" FREE bolts on the floor in the shop....if u know what you need..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭madpaddy88

Have you tryed horsepower

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi all.

I am currently doing some work on GSXR. I've bought an OEM fender to replace the lucky bag yoke that was on it. I've been trying to get the OEM bolts and other pieces to finish it off.

The only websites I can find that sell and ship to Ireland are US sites. For 4 bolts that cost less than €3 it costs over €60 to ship them to Ireland.

Sites like bikebandit.com or motoSport is all I can seem to find that will give you a catalog of part numbers that you can just place the order directly. Anyone know of any sites based in UK or Ireland that have cheap shipping rates if it is across the water.

Thanks,

There's no such thing as OEM nuts and bolts, once you have the thread pattern and size and size of the head they are all the same. Just stay away from the cheaply made stuff by going to a decent supplier and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

These guys have hooked me up on many an occasion...

http://www.dublinboltandnut.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭tri50072

I would recommend that you register with PARCEL MOTEL and all your purchases will be sent to Northern Ireland then sent to a pick up point near you which you register. You then get a txt from them to let you know that it at your pick up point with an access code to the locker in which your part is and usually costs about €3. Hope this help
    ps This is for parts from uk usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There's a crowd in Cork do stainless steel bolts for cheap enough.
    Can't think of their name at the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I had a similar dilemma recently with some pricey V-Strom and DR parts. In the end I decided the small additional cost of using my local dealer (no postage charges) was the best option - and I was pleased to support them.

/QUOTE]

I had to get oil seals, gaskets etc for a very smokey tdm, on line I could have got the parts for less than 100, but I went with Ciaran and Robbie from megabikes at 3 times the price, point being, on line, you're never sure of what you're gettin.
    The parts from megabikes fitted perfectly and I had remit if they didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

3 times the price!!!! **** that I take a chance....twice the price is bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    3 times the price!!!! **** that I take a chance....twice the price is bad enough.
    The labour is the killer though, Opening an engine again to fit a genuine oil seal because the spurious one didn't work is a real PITA.
    I'd always use genuine stuff for engine internals.
    Things like fork seals, wheel bearings, external seals for gearshift or output shaft fine, use cheaper stuff but if you have to split the engine or do brakes then OEM is best.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as OEM nuts and bolts, once you have the thread pattern and size and size of the head they are all the same. Just stay away from the cheaply made stuff by going to a decent supplier and you'll be fine.
    Suzuki used to make their own bolts, they had an S stamped into the head.
    Not sure if the GSXR had these but I certainly remember some Suzi's with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I didnt think tdm manufactured their own oil seals, thus this idea of people thinking their is such a thing as a genuine seal and only got from main dealer is amusing.

TDM is a model not a make.
    Yamaha make the TDM.
    Oil seals made to factory specs by a seal company like NOK can be made to a specific spec that is not commonly available in the aftermarket.
    Take a Montesa Cota 315R for example, made by Montesa but a Honda in all but name.
    Left hand crank seal is a 25x36x 6 double lipped in Viton.
    Try getting that from a Bearing or seal shop, pretty much impossible.
    You can get them in Nitrile rubber but its a quite different to the Viton thats specced one is made to resist 120°C and the other resists 204°C
    Double lipped means that the chances of the seal failing and the engine running lean are lessened.

The genuine parts are made to a spec for a reason, Yes you can buy one that fits but fitting and lasting are not the same thing.

Charlie haughy viton seals are widely available, suggesting you have to go main dealer is ludicrous. The genuine part as you call it can be got from other places at ease.
    Dont be believing what bike shops or google say.

Charlie haughy viton seals are widely available, suggesting you have to go main dealer is ludicrous. The genuine part as you call it can be got from other places at ease.
    Dont be believing what bike shops or google say.
    I am speaking from experience.
    Not google or bike shops advice.
    Viton seals are available but some sizes are not available in twin lip.
    I seldom deal with main dealers, too far away from me anyway, but I have rebuilt a lot of engines and used parts from many different suppliers, main dealers, bearing and seal suppliers etc.

If its so easy find me the seal size I quoted, 25 x 36 x 6 Twin lip Viton not the RGV type with the outside lip.
    If you do, let me know where, I'll buy a few.

Many manufacturers also spec bearings in odd sizes, not available in Bearing suppliers.
    If seals are available in the correct spec from an alternative source then I will buy them, Abbey seals are good, Reliance as well. But I have found that some seals are not available due to wrong dimensions or wrong material, what do you do then?
    BTW most OEM parts are available from sources other than main dealers.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    BTW most OEM parts are available from sources other than main dealers.

I have been saying this to you all along, what class of confusion are you creating by posting that? :confused:

Advertisement