Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A2 and A1 licences

Options
  • 29-06-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hey guys I've looked around for this and haven't been able to find a definitive answer, basically I am 20 now and want to get a bike on the road.

I have a ybr 125 which I would be happy enough to learn on for a year or so as its cheap to insure, I was wondering if I was to do the theory and apply for an A2 license, do my IBT on a 400 that they rent at the training centre and get a learner permit for an A2, could I still insure and use a 125 for a while before getting a 400 in a year or 18 months to do my test on? I just wouldn't have the money to insure a 400 first time round and would prefer a small bike to get the feel of it. Id just hate to waste two years on an A1 and then have to move up a license grade.

I'm only wondering because when I was looking for a quote on libertys website for the ybr they only had A and A1 as the license options.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Get an A2 Learner permit, do your A2 ibt training, then you can ride your 125 after that as long as you want.
    When you want to do the test, you can get a school bike to do your test on for the A2 category, and you can still ride your 125 after that.
    After your a2 test you can get upgraded to A unrestricted 2 years later by just doing a modue 5 ibt., so you can have your A unrestricted by age 22.
    You can still ride your 125 after that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Get an A2 Learner permit You can ride your 125 after that as long as you want.
    When you want to do the test, you can get a school bike to do your test on for the A2 category, and you can still ride your 125 after that.
    After your a2 test you can get upgraded to A unrestricted 2 years later by just doing a modue 5 ibt., so you can have your A unrestricted by age 22.
    You can still ride your 125 after that too.

Thanks a lot, sounds easier than I thought :)

Advertisement