Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing motorcycle from Malaysia to Ireland

Options
  • 27-06-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Now lads and ladies, here's one for yas! Of course, at around this time of night I come up with these great ideas that in the morning will probably say to myself " what in the name of jaysus was I thinking ", buy anyhow. I was thinking of importing a motorcycle from Malaysia to Dublin and I haven't got a notion of how it would be done. May I stress that this is merely an idea brewing and nothing more! I just want somebody who is knowledgeable on the subject.
    The bike in question is just outside Kuala Lumpur and has been an interest of mine for quite some time. The value of the bike is around €3'900 and I was WONDERING, how would I go about getting it over here? I was thinking something along the lines of getting it shipped from Kuala Lumpur to the UK and then bringing it from the UK to Ireland. But I don't know what sort of documentation issues you would encounter. And of course the taxes, I know the total would probably come close to around €7'000.

Again, just an idea, any help is welcome! Thanks everyone, ride safe.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The cost of importing it will be the total cost of getting it to Ireland, don't even think of trying to register in the UK, including purchase, shipping, insurance and any fees this will get you the VAT and import duties you need to pay, VAT will be 23% not sure of duties. You'll need a van or trailer to get it from the port.

Then the easy bit is getting it registered, book a VRT appoint at your nearest NCT centre, the cost it €2/cc to 350cc and €1/cc over 351cc. Then get plates made up

Only issue could be spares availability

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

Del2005 wrote: »
    The cost of importing it will be the total cost of getting it to Ireland, don't even think of trying to register in the UK, including purchase, shipping, insurance and any fees this will get you the VAT and import duties you need to pay, VAT will be 23% not sure of duties. You'll need a van or trailer to get it from the port.

Then the easy bit is getting it registered, book a VRT appoint at your nearest NCT centre, the cost it €2/cc to 350cc and €1/cc over 351cc. Then get plates made up

Only issue could be spares availability

Thanks for that info mate!
    Decided it's probably not worth the money in the long run to do it so I think I'll steer clear of it. Thanks anyways for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Have a look at VRT calculator.
    The VRT is calculated per CC but then a depreciation rate is applied depending on age.
    You may need to get a compliance cert from manufacturer or main dealer as vehicle is not made for EU.
    Shipping to Tilbury/Folkestone/Southhampton is common. You may find an insurer that will insure you for a couple of weeks based on chassis number pending IRL re-reg.
    Don't overlook freight handling charges at ports.
    You could always ride it back .. or I could ride it back for you!

Have a look at VRT calculator.
    The VRT is calculated per CC but then a depreciation rate is applied depending on age.
    You may need to get a compliance cert from manufacturer or main dealer as vehicle is not made for EU.
    Shipping to Tilbury/Folkestone/Southhampton is common. You may find an insurer that will insure you for a couple of weeks based on chassis number pending IRL re-reg.
    Don't overlook freight handling charges at ports.
    You could always ride it back .. or I could ride it back for you!

Gone off the idea at this stage mate ( as usual ) hahaha, it was a CBR250RR converted to an R6, pretty much everything the same as an R6 except CBR250rr internals. Works out at around €10,000 in the end by the time you get it over here ( little bit out of my budget ) hahah. Thanks anyways ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭blade1

DJDylan106 wrote: »
    Gone off the idea at this stage mate ( as usual ) hahaha, it was a CBR250RR converted to an R6, pretty much everything the same as an R6 except CBR250rr internals. Works out at around €10,000 in the end by the time you get it over here ( little bit out of my budget ) hahah. Thanks anyways ;)

A Cbr250 converted to an R6?

Importing aside,sounds like you were better off staying well away anyhow.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    A Cbr250 converted to an R6?

Importing aside,sounds like you were better off staying well away anyhow.

Started realising that myself blade :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭blade1

DJDylan106 wrote: »
    Started realising that myself blade :D:o

Good man, you'll pick up something decent around here without all the import hassle and god knows what that bike/bikes have been through in their previous life's! :)

blade1 wrote: »
    Good man, you'll pick up something decent around here without all the import hassle and god knows what that bike/bikes have been through in their previous life's! :)

Would nearly be better off buying a 2010 R6 for that price! hahaha, anyways! Another stupid idea to add to the list!

Advertisement