Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover

Options
  • 26-06-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi the wife is mad to get a small bike 125 cc for tipping around I had a bike years ago and would drive it from time to time. If she buys it and registers it in her name ...( we both have to start from start .....doing theory test next week permit and then lessons - done over two weeks ) would be end aug all going to plan before road ready ) I see that on my car insurance it covers me to drive any bike provided its not mine and not under hire \ if I have my learners permit I presume I am covered on that to drive it. We will both be taking bike test (for full licence) as quickly as time will allow ....I know like the car test i will have to be insured and show proof to the tester on the day....can I do the full licence\ permit test on my wife's bike ? She will have it taxed.... My car insurance will cover it ..... I will have my learner permit (all up to date with mandatory lessons done etc) this paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have never seen car insurance that also gives you insurance to drive a motorbike. Are you 100% on that?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Yeah, I doubt your car insurance covers bikes. They're considered different entities. You can't even transfer NCB. Vast majority car insurance companies don't do any cover for bikes.

You have to wait for 6 months after getting learner permit before you can do the driving test. If you do the test on a 125 you will be given a A1 licence and you will be restricted to 125cc in the future. To get a unrestricted licence the test must be done on at least a 600cc bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

see pic

goodlad wrote: »
    I have never seen car insurance that also gives you insurance to drive a motorbike. Are you 100% on that?

see copy policy ...stand up in any court id say/never had it before ....delighted tho:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yeah, the auld fella has a similar policy. No idea how he got it, although I think he's had the same policy for a while so it may not be happening for new policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is that not just a generic term depending on whether you purchased car or motorbike insurance separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

It's Deffo something that's worth putting in a call to get clarification instead of going on assumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Surely it'd cost little or nothing to add you as a named driver on her policy anyway.

Its black and white on the Insurance certificate. Ya it probably will be cheap to add me as named on wife's policy.
    I just saw that motorcycle , cover when I read my certificate. I don't think its unclear though. I am happy to have it and use it , if it suits.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you have cover on any bike then just get a 600 that you can sit your driving test on.

You'll be bored of the 125 after a couple of weeks, especially after doing your IBT on a bigger bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

goodlad wrote: »

I had it on a policy before I got my own bike, was very handy as a mate had left a bike sitting here and I got to use it

Hi the wife is mad to get a small bike 125 cc for tipping around I had a bike years ago and would drive it from time to time. If she buys it and registers it in her name ...( we both have to start from start .....doing theory test next week permit and then lessons - done over two weeks ) would be end aug all going to plan before road ready ) I see that on my car insurance it covers me to drive any bike provided its not mine and not under hire \ if I have my learners permit I presume I am covered on that to drive it. We will both be taking bike test (for full licence) as quickly as time will allow ....I know like the car test i will have to be insured and show proof to the tester on the day....can I do the full licence\ permit test on my wife's bike ? She will have it taxed.... My car insurance will cover it ..... I will have my learner permit (all up to date with mandatory lessons done etc) this paddy

Only problem is that you have an insurable interest in your wife's property so it may not be as easy as just sitting on her bike and using your cover, it shouldn't cost too much to add you to the policy from the start.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I had it on a policy before I got my own bike, was very handy as a mate had left a bike sitting here and I got to use it

Only problem is that you have an insurable interest in your wife's property so it may not be as easy as just sitting on her bike and using your cover, it shouldn't cost too much to add you to the policy from the start.

Don't understand I don't have any insurance interest in her bike. It will be hers nothing to do with me.
    If I don't own it ... And it's not hired ... I'm good to go as far as I'm concern

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't understand I don't have any insurance interest in her bike. It will be hers nothing to do with me.
    If I don't own it ... And it's not hired ... I'm good to go as far as I'm concern

Marriage confers rights on both parties which they don't have when living together. Items bought when married are usually jointly owned which is why you don't have to change ownership on a car if both are maintaining an NCD, I can't insure your car but your spouse can.

Advertisement