Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing bike

Options
  • 04-06-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hola amigos,

I am importing a bike from Spain in October. I intend to ride it to Cherbourg (1,568 km on an ER6n to get there) and get the ferry into Rosslare. I am going to split the trip over 3 days? and put a screen on it and a box. Any advise for the trip/crossing? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Keep all your ferry receipts as you may be asked to prove when you landed in Ireland, make sure it's over 6mths old and more than 6000kms otherwise you get caught fire VAT as well

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Thanks, good advice. I will have the purchase receipt and will register it here when I arrive. I don't think it's done 6000 km yet but it is definitely older than 6 months. I will be tired after such a long trip, 1,800 km in total. Any advise for long tours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

coffee!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irish snowblower

Kaoko throttle lock

Thanks but normal lock won't do?

• Advertisement

Ah... cruise control on a bike! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Eat small but regular amounts, big meals make you tired and sleepy while the body digests the food. Plenty of water and avoid sugar as mush as possible, the initial high is following by a much greater and longer low. Try to get as much sleeps as possible, common sense stuff really. Fatigue is a big no no on a motorbike....

When I was in Germany last year 5 hrs rides take there toll.....not worth it

I guess a break every 2 hours should be OK. I plan to do 500 km-600 km per day approximately. Not sure if I am over ambitious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Eat small but regular amounts, big meals make you tired and sleepy while the body digests the food. Plenty of water and avoid sugar as mush as possible, the initial high is following by a much greater and longer low. Try to get as much sleeps as possible, common sense stuff really. Fatigue is a big no no on a motorbike....

When I was in Germany last year 5 hrs rides take there toll.....not worth it

A burger every 100km and you'd be grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Are you using the peages or national roads through France?
    I'd recommend stopping more often than 2 hrs on a peage, you can cover ground quickly but its very boring just droning along at 130.
    I'd be inclined to buy a backpack water carrier if you don't have one, and fill that and drink plenty along the way.

A small tankbag is also very handy for things like sunglasses and change that you need for the tolls, not the massive multistory ones.
    You may also think about a soft bag that you can strap on the back of the seat as well to carry any other stuff that won't fit into the box.
    Service the bike fully before you leave, check chain and sprockets as well.
    Make sure the tyres are good enough for the trip before you leave, if they are low change them for new ones, rain is not unknown in October in France.
    On that note also think about a set of rain gear.

Think about getting breakdown/recovery insurance as well, it may be a very cheap purchase that can save a lot of heartache if anything happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement