Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prevent-a-puncture/tyrearmour

Options
  • 20-05-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if either of these are any use, or are they just gimmicks? Not seeing a lot of reviews from bikers online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I know you don't have a Deau any longer but this guy on the Deauville UK forum recommends Puncturesafe, Royal mail use it so I guess it can't be crap.
    http://www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/deauville/
    scroll down a bit to the General section for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Is that a generally done thing by shops that do tyre changes? All I've really spotted is the prevent-a-puncture place in by bikeworld.

It's one of those things that strikes me as either a no-brainer that everyone does, or crap and will cause issues down the line (i.e. the next tyre change is a pain in the hole).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Is that a generally done thing by shops that do tyre changes? All I've really spotted is the prevent-a-puncture place in by bikeworld.

It's one of those things that strikes me as either a no-brainer that everyone does, or crap and will cause issues down the line (i.e. the next tyre change is a pain in the hole).
    You could look at it with a tinfoil hat or like a person that may be in an area that doesn't have 24hr recovery.
    Tyre shops don't like it because it has to be washed out of the tyre before it can be repaired and it goes all over their tyre machine.
    Its not that expensive and the videos I have seen of that particular sealant seem to show that it washes out with water.
    Its not that expensive and it seems to get good reviews from the guys that use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I had it in a car years ago. Took a while after starting for it to spread evenly so had a terrible shudder for the first few km, was tolerable in a car don't know how I would have managed on a bike. Not sure if too much was put in and I don't know if it did anything to increase tyre life. You'd want to be keeping a very good eye on your tyres as this could hide a small puncture getting bigger till its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,395 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have had good experiences with Ultraseal in a rear tyre, sealing minor punctures with little air loss, probably worth having

Have also had six inch nails through the tread and sidwall, no hope there just replace the tyre.

If I had to choose between something pumped into my tyres and a year's breakdown cover, I'd choose the year's breakdown cover.

Also, don't bother paying money to have anything pumped into your front tyre, it'll roll over almost all nails or screws then flick them up poised to penetrate your rear, if they're going to cause a puncture it's almost always in the rear tyre.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement