Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the insurance cover?

Options
  • 06-05-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Does the insurance cover me if I have an accident while not wearing my L tabard (learner permit)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Why are you not wearing your L tabard?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

migualo wrote: »
    Does the insurance cover me if I have an accident while not wearing my L tabard (learner permit)?

Depends on the policy documents and what happened, you may be held partially to blame in the end and get a reduced payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Faith+1 wrote: »

Why would you? It's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

It won't effect your third party liability cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 migualo

Faith+1 wrote: »

I have been wearing it for two months in Dublin but I had couple of incidents where cage drivers would drive close to me or passed me and then break hard in front of me. I think it's safer for me not to wear it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's a legal requirement you're only asking for trouble by chosing not to wear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I have been wearing it for two months in Dublin but I had couple of incidents where cage drivers would drive close to me or passed me and then break hard in front of me. I think it's safer for me not to wear it.

You'll soon find you will get a lot of this regardless. The L vest doesn't really come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

DubVelo wrote: »
    Why would you? It's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

It won't effect your third party liability cover.

Because it's the LAW...that's why. I wore mine until I passed and how exactly is it ridiculous?You're a learner hense the requirement to wear it.

Do what you want but don't be surprised if you get points, fined and yes it does affect your 3rd party liability. Your insurance will pay out on a 3rd party claim but will come after you to repay them.

So enough of the rolleyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

This can be a tricky one TBH, I wore a Hi Vis vest for the majority of my 6 mths till I passed my test. I refused to wear the L vest after one or two stupid incidents that were totally beyond my control.

As to insurance covering you I have no idea......ring them and find out.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

I absolutely agree that the L vest incites trouble sometimes, this is due to the mentality of a lot of fools on the road.

You do 80kmh in a 80kmh zone and cars behind ten to be grand and chill out.
    You do 80kmh in a 80kmh zone while wearing a L vest and you can bet you will get drivers overtaking you dangerously because "God damn learner... i gotta get past him"..... Its the same old crap.

I see it every day and i experienced it years back both in my car and on my bike. I took off my Biker L vest after a month of wearing it and stupid incidents almost stopped completely with people overtaking me dangerously no matter what speed i was doing. Those L vests just incite rage in a lot of idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

goodlad wrote: »
    I absolutely agree that the L vest incites trouble sometimes, this is due to the mentality of a lot of fools on the road.

You do 80kmh in a 80kmh zone and cars behind ten to be grand and chill out.
    You do 80kmh in a 80kmh zone while wearing a L vest and you can bet you will get drivers overtaking you dangerously because "God damn learner... i gotta get past him"..... Its the same old crap.

I see it every day and i experienced it years back both in my car and on my bike. I took off my Biker L vest after a month of wearing it and stupid incidents almost stopped completely with people overtaking me dangerously no matter what speed i was doing. Those L vests just incite rage in a lot of idiots

While true, I only wore the vest for the morning of the test and had moron's passing me, it still doesn't remove the fact that it's a legal requirement to wear one and it could impact on any insurance claims being made. Best solution is wear the L- Tabard and cover it with a rucksack, still technically illegal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

mate of mine forgot to wear one once, and he was struck by lightning

insurance paid out though, s'all good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Will cover third party claims for sure. Hard to know about your own damage though if you've fully comp. Could be excluded but would it be relevant to the loss? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Faith+1 wrote:
    Your insurance will pay out on a 3rd party claim but will come after you to repay them.

Can you cite one instance of this?

Unlike L plates in a cage there could be times when you do not have the tabbard on a bike.

Advertisement