Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil and spares

Options
  • 25-04-2015 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I know this has been done a bit on oil,
    Currently using castrol 4T 10w40, I thought it was semi synthetic but it looks like its fully synthetic, I need to check the bottle of whats left from the last oil change.
    I bought in halfords at the time (although on their website they show 4litre containers of castrol 4t, I never saw them in the store) , they have a 5 litre of part (semi?) synthetic 10w40 of their own branding, any worse?
    Where else to buy for bike oil?
    I got filter in cotters at the time, but of the two places I went, neither were pushed about getting other items, like o-rings, which'd have to be replaced at some point.

As for parts, where's/what's best? Id usually have ruled out main dealers for car consumables and parts, but recently came across cheaper oil from VW for a car and have come across cheaper parts from Ford and Fiat for parts than spurious in the past, so maybe main dealers??

So seals, filters, ebay? main dealers? depends?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

which o-rings?
    service items I get from motorcycleshop.ie typically
    shop around for parts alright.. can often get cheaper direct from manufacturer (know was the case for some Triumph bits before)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Wossack wrote: »
    which o-rings?
    service items I get from motorcycleshop.ie typically
    shop around for parts alright.. can often get cheaper direct from manufacturer (know was the case for some Triumph bits before)

I enquired about o-rings that went on part of the filter and the filter cap, likely standard parts available and just provided to fit certain requirements on bikes/cars, but if there is no interest to provide them with the parts they fit, kind suprises me?
    I get two o-rings as standard with a vw filter, thats off vw or a motor factors I dont think they need replacing everytime, but at some stage they do.

thanks for the link to that site, I found somewhere that does parts online and has a complete breakdown, just seems overkill to go ordering o-rings that'll cost to be posted.
    Thats why Im enquiring where other parts are available, mainly filters but also to see where people are getting their oil and what brand, at the moment, all the options I can see are castrol or halfords, dont know what in the way of bike oil is available in motor factors, and of course there's cotters, I just prefer looking up in advance whats available and then just going to ask for it, rather than turning up and finding out what my options are.
    I did find a place on adverts that does oils, over in Ballycoolin, might look it up and see if/what bike oil they have, I noticed it on adverts as an ad they had chain wax available got my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

a new o-ring will be pre-installed on the filter, I dont think theres any others involved (?)

copper sealing washer for the sump plug perhaps?

I use castrol power 1 in my rothars, and have had no issues! Ive no brand loyalty, just got a good deal when I was purchasing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Nope, had to reuse the existing ones, not canister like a car.
    Checked the oil bottle today, doesn't say fully synthetic, but fully synthetic castrol isn't that much dearer than what I got, might try the halfords oil if its still on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I use the halfords bike oil. Far better value than the castrol.

10w40 semi is what you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement