Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project

Options
  • 21-04-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi guys,

If any of you have a minute to spare, could you fill out my short survey?:D
    Its only a couple of questions and takes about a minute. I would really appreciate it!! Myself and another two lads had to do a college design project. I know there are new rules for pre injection racing in 2016 that states engine covers are required, so we drew up a quick design for a cover for a cbr600f. We had hoped to put more effort into it and make a proper cover but the 3 of us also work full time so we only had a few hours to spare!

Thanks in advance!

06B33EB915DF4A388A0B6096EEF23F0D-0000371064-0003754190-00800L-D1228CF91C8542EC8CB2DC7F8E2BB1DC.jpg

8263C469C3C342E59089B8DFFDDAE4EB-0000371064-0003754189-00800L-7699536B8A9B4E38952C1205E7CFB91F.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

I honestly can't see how that would "protect" the engine casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

KTR1C wrote: »

Well its a carbon fibre cover not much different from the likes of GB Racing covers. It was more to do with marketing a product than the actual design anyway so I'm not too worried about whether it works or not. It won't ever be manufactured

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

KTR1C wrote: »

Same thing I was thinking. Surely crash bars or sliders would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

sean61 wrote: »
    It won't ever be manufactured

Well it'd fall at the first hurdle, surely someone answering your survey isn't going to be able to give proper answers for a product, as in how much they'd spend on it if it clearly wouldn't work. :rolleyes:

You can't use crash bars in racing and sliders won't cover 1/3 of the engine case so they are no good either for the new rules.

It's only a basic college project. I'm not trying to win any innovation awards...just thought I'd stick it up here instead of answering the survey myself 20 times like everyone else!

I'll remove the link and a mod can delete the post if they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Never mind crashing, some parts of the engine and clutch get warn from your boot, something like that would help if it was in the right place.
    And you can get carbon bits that stick on everywhere. There's a market for any carbon piece that goes onto a bike, doesn't matter if it does a job or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Jesus theres some right a holes on this forum.he's not trying to sell u something...is it any wonder young guys dont get into bikes thesedays..:rolleyes:...good luck with your project ...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

aside from function.
    my view on it is the marketing needs more work. it looks somewhat like a piece of carbon that has a sticker on it. i know you guys don't have too much time to spend on it, but if your logo could be incorporated into the piece somewhat you would have an item that is marketable. currently any bike shop could place a sticker over your logo and no one would be the wiser?
    sadly i cant really help you anymore than my comments, as i couldn't design my way out of a cardboard box.
    and yes i know that's a non-sense statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lucanone

Lads, It was just a bit of craic for a college assignment, Chill the beans with the critism of the design. Put the link up and i will fill it out for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

It looks good, you would have a better market in off road bikes, i have a carbon exhaust cover for a 2 stroke pipe and a lot of guys i race with have them too. Frame guards, clutch covers, ignition covers and pipe guards. If you could make them locally you eould sell them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

If you put up a link to the survey I would be more than happy to answer it. I think if this product were to be manufactured it would be better for it to be attached with adhesive and remove the bolt fixing points. I think the geometry around the areas for the bolt holes outside of the inspection cover would be too tight for carbon fibre to wrap around. The styling and logo look great.

I know of the carbon covers for the two strokes, I used to have one myself on an old cr250. The reason we went with the cover for the cbr was that they are required for racing pre injection in 2016 (new MCUI rules) but no company makes them for bikes before 2006. They can't be glued, must be fixed with at least 3 bolts, have to be made from an alloy or composite material, cover 1/3 the surface area of the engine cover and mushrooms, bungs or crash bars are not acceptable. I also need one for my own cbr so we were gonna make one up but all the other projects and work got in the way.

As for the logo, I didn't actually draw the part. We were never taught how to emboss an image on a part but I'll give it a go one of the days when I get time. I did most of the written report and made a poster. We also had to make a promotional video for the product. Considering it's a mechanical engineering course and we were never shown how to make posters or videos and have no marketing experience, I doubt the standard of work expected from us would be too high! It's submitted now anyway so I'll have to wait and see.

Sorry I'm only replying to your comments now, I've been quiet busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

sean61 wrote: »
    I also need one for my own cbr so we were gonna make one up but all the other projects and work got in the way.

If you are going to make one could you post some pictures. I would be really interested in seeing how you get on. I have always wanted to try making carbon fibre parts.

Advertisement