Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Harmonic Distortion

Options
  • 17-04-2015 7:24am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a fundamental sine wave with high harmonic content. I have all of the information that I require to graph the fundamental and the 3 other sine waves. In fact I have graphed all 4 individually and the final combined wave in Excel.

It has been a few years since college :)
    My question is, how do I calculate the THD and express it as a percentage?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

2011 wrote: »
    I have a fundamental sine wave with high harmonic content. I have all of the information that I require to graph the fundamental and the 3 other sine waves. In fact I have graphed all 4 individually and the final combined wave in Excel.

It has been a few years since college :)
    My question is, how do I calculate the THD and express it as a percentage?

Many thanks,

Sum the squares of all the harmonics amplitudes.....take the square root of that.....then divide by the fundamental....and multiply by 100 for your percentage! Make sure all values are in RMS though first!

e.g.

THD% = (sqrt(V2^2 + V3^2 + V4^2....)/V1)

Where V1 is your fundamental and V2, V3 and V4 are your harmonics (In RMS)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

rob w wrote: »
    Sum the squares of all the harmonics amplitudes.....take the square root of that.....then divide by the fundamental....and multiply by 100 for your percentage! Make sure all values are in RMS though first!

e.g.

THD% = (sqrt(V2^2 + V3^2 + V4^2....)/V1)

Thank you!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

rob w wrote: »

Converting each to r.m.s. values doesn't change anything as its a common factor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

2011 wrote: »
    Converting each to r.m.s. values doesn't change anything as its a common factor?

Yes, it doesn't matter if it's RMS or not, since the harmonics are sine waves by definition.

Sometimes the RMS value might be more readily available, so you might as well just use that, but peak amplitudes are also fine, once you're consistent.

Yes, it doesn't matter if it's RMS or not, since the harmonics are sine waves by definition.

Sometimes the RMS value might be more readily available, so you might as well just use that, but peak amplitudes are also fine, once you're consistent.

That makes sense, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement