Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi's bike gear ~ Sunday 8th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

No helmet this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

zubair wrote: »

Get one in Halfords, €45 if I am no mistaken. Seen them in there yesterday Jamie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

MCN review Aldi's bike gear this week and it gets the thumbs up. If I needed it and had the funds I would buy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought some last time and brought a lot of it back. The boots are of very poor quality I think, I know they are 1/4 the price of the ones I have now but still I did not like them. DO NOT buy the socks. They are 100% normal socks with some colours written on them - but on the packaging it has a dozen or so features which is pretty much the most BS I have ever seen a product advertised. The gloves are ok but not great.

The compression underwear stuff is good, and the wind protectors are great too. I'm thinking of buying the lock - but for my mountain bike - I would not trust my bike with a €12 lock ;)

I may look at the waterproof suits, has anyone used them are they any good? Only size is L-XL though - I might get lost in it!

Zascar wrote: »

I may look at the waterproof suits, has anyone used them are they any good? Only size is L-XL though - I might get lost in it!

At a guess, I'd say that's because they're over trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zascar wrote: »
    I bought some last time and brought a lot of it back. The boots are of very poor quality I think, I know they are 1/4 the price of the ones I have now but still I did not like them. DO NOT buy the socks. They are 100% normal socks with some colours written on them - but on the packaging it has a dozen or so features which is pretty much the most BS I have ever seen a product advertised. The gloves are ok but not great.

The compression underwear stuff is good, and the wind protectors are great too. I'm thinking of buying the lock - but for my mountain bike - I would not trust my bike with a €12 lock ;)

The socks are class!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Lyndsey3000

I actually need a cover for my bike! great!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

The covers are quite good. Buy two and put one away. They'll last for a year or two and at that price you don't mind treating them as disposables. The windproof gear is great. Bought some two years ago and it's due for renewal. Team it up with the compression layer and a pair of leathers and I've ridden in -2 without freezing the lads off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

They got fed up with the fights we used to have here about their helmets... (btw I used one of their open faced helmets for a few years :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

No kevlar jeans? Feck!
    Am tempted by the tank bag.

Is the compression underwear just a cold weather thing, or one of them things that's supposed to keep you warm when it's cool and cool when it's warm or something?

RHJ wrote: »

I'd definitely go early if you want to make sure you get what you want, I wouldn't think queueing is necessary though.

Aldi and Lidl gear is definitely good for starting out, I still use the trousers I bought 3 years ago but then again that's probably because I still can't decide on a pair I want to upgrade to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jacket looks good, anyone have one and does the waterproofing last?

I bought a very overpriced and badly designed Alpinestars textile jacket a couple of years ago and it's fit to be scrapped already :( Badly designed because the velcro is the worst quality I've ever seen, there are no press studs to keep the front flap closed, the pockets expand inwards not outwards so are ornaments really, and are in the wrong places. It's like the person who designed it never rode a bike.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

I still use the trousers I bought 3 years ago but then again that's probably because I still can't decide on a pair I want to upgrade to.
    am in almost the exact same position except it was the trousers that i upgraded not the jacket. have been promising myself for about a year and a half now to change the jacket. but i hate hate hate clothe shopping (the fact its in a bike shop brings it down to just about bearable) and every time i think today's the day, i get distracted in the shop or cant decide which or get told the new edition is due in in a few weeks and is much better. etc etc. etc.
    this year i will do it though! (once i have the funds spare, and there is go again putting it off)

Jacket looks good, anyone have one and does the waterproofing last?

I bought a very overpriced and badly designed Alpinestars textile jacket a couple of years ago and it's fit to be scrapped already :( Badly designed because the velcro is the worst quality I've ever seen, there are no press studs to keep the front flap closed, the pockets expand inwards not outwards so are ornaments really, and are in the wrong places. It's like the person who designed it never rode a bike.

That's funny, I had a pair of alpinestars boots a few years ago and they must have used the same velcro. After a few months the velcro had basically no stick. You'd think a brand like that would use decent fúcking velcro

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Is stuff gone by the evening? Can't get in till late and need to pick up pretty much one of everything :D

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Is stuff gone by the evening? Can't get in till late and need to pick up pretty much one of everything :D

Depends on the branch. Only way to know is to head in and find out.

I'm going in to stock up on motorbike socks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Only thing I'm gonna look at is the high viz. Sick of using a flappy one

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »

Check the size, they're on the large side so I got a small.

Have to say the jacket and trousers seem decent. I only got the trousers but seem to be very high quality for the price. Of course they have a couple of negatives like any brand of bike gear but nothing that's a deal breaker. Definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Check the size, they're on the large side so I got a small.

Have to say the jacket and trousers seem decent. I only got the trousers but seem to be very high quality for the price. Of course they have a couple of negatives like any brand of bike gear but nothing that's a deal breaker. Definitely worth a look.
    have the trousers got a zip for attaching to a jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The jacket and pants have a matching zip strip at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Only 4 jackets and 6 pants left in Long Mile Road Aldi about 30 minutes ago. They are pretty good quality. Way heavier than previous incarnations and heavily armoured.
    They didn't have any of the waterproof over layers in stock. Loads of all the other items.

It's a 6 inch zip, doubt it would fit anything other than the matching jacket.

Only 4 jackets and 6 pants left in Long Mile Road Aldi about 30 minutes ago. They are pretty good quality. Way heavier than previous incarnations and heavily armoured.
    They didn't have any of the waterproof over layers in stock. Loads of all the other items.

I was very surprised at how heavy the gear is. The jackets and trousers were in limited supply in Naas (tesco side) too. Tons of the other stuff though, picked up the massive padlock (so I can throw at thieves), chain seemed more suited to a bicycle. The rain gear was missing in Naas too, wonder if it even exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I didn't see any waterproof gear in Santry either. There were a good few L and XL jackets and trousers earlier, but M must have either been in short supply or flown out.

goodlad wrote: »

Nothing worse than big flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No XL jackets left when I looked, also the lower two pockets on the outside (where I like to keep keys) only have velcro to keep the flaps closed, no zips, which makes them useless really. I'll never put keys in chest level pockets again after I bruised my ribs in a crash a couple of years ago. I think I'll hang on to the jacket I have for as long as I can then go to Cotters...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Picked up a pair of XL gloves in Coolock, seem pretty good quality for €18 but I'll probably return them later as they're pretty tight.

• Advertisement

Advertisement