Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arai pro shade system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I would expect a lot of wind noise from that. Could be a problem riding tucked in behind the screen at night as the tinted visor might be in your line of sight. Also as easily damaged/scratched as a normal visor - now you have two to replace, that would be expensive!

Why not an internal sun visor, loads of lads here have them and have had no issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Arai don't do internal visors as they're not race legal. I got one and find it ok, the shaded part doesn't drop down at all, but could be a bit bigger. It doesn't touch the clear visor underneath, sort of floats on top of it.
    I like it inanyways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Arai don't do internal visors as they're not race legal. I got one and find it ok, the shaded part doesn't drop down at all, but could be a bit bigger. It doesn't touch the clear visor underneath, sort of floats on top of it.
    I like it inanyways

Nothing to do with being race legal, from what I read online and watched on UTOOB they weaken the overall shell structure and compromise the safety rating on Arai helmets thats why they never have them in built.

Shoei only recently started their own in built system for the same reason apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yup, bang on dude. And i think the dope who designed this Arai system needs a slap. Shoei did it the right way. They didnt weaken the shell of the GT Air with a internal visor. They actually mould the lid and then added on an extra layer on the lid that houses the internal visor. So they have the best of both worlds without that stupid looking external visor from Arai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I saw a couple of lids with the external visor when I was buying mine (got an internal visor), I immediately felt the design is flawed, ever have raindrops on the inside of your visor? It's a PITA. If it's raining you're unlikely to use it... I think.

• Advertisement

If its raining you won't be needin a sun visor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Very true.

Thats not true all the time though. You get days where its lashing one minutes and sunny the next. Then you have the sun glare off the wet road and a sun visor is great to have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Best thing to do is buy a lid with an internal visor, i took the plunge before Christmas and picked up this Shark Speed R, felt weird this morning putting on a new lid :D

http://www.lidsdirect.co.uk/new-arrivals/new-helmets/shark-speed-r-craig-white-blue-red.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

It's a good time to be buying too, waiting to get spammed with sales emails tomorrow.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    Thats not true all the time though. You get days where its lashing one minutes and sunny the next. Then you have the sun glare off the wet road and a sun visor is great to have

Yes, but then it is not raining.

Never seen it raining while it's sunny?

Let me explain.... A cloud over your location is raining while there is no clouds in the direction if the sun. So it's raining while also being sunny.

Apologies if the explanation was not needed, you seemed to be having difficulty grasping the concept.

Assumption...

The mother of all f***up's.

I assumed that you would get the joke.
    Sorry, I won't assume that again.

I chose to explain it as I was speaking to someone with the social skills and general intelligence of a child. Actually.... Thats not true, most kids play fine with other kids. Although there does sometimes be that one kid nobody likes but they just won't go away and annoys everyone else.

You most likely were that kid and are still the same. Nobody around here likes you man and you just post absolute crap all the time but yet you are still here....

Biking is 99% of the time a community where anyone and everyone is welcome. You are the exception, you are not welcome at all. But its ok man, generally we have a great laugh about you when everyone else from the forum meets up and chats, drinks, laughs etc.... No doubt I will get a ban now... Oh no.... But its cool, because I'm not the c*nt of the boards.ie motorbike community. Thats you. Have a superb 2015 man, I hope you find some friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

goodlad wrote: »
    Yup, bang on dude. And i think the dope who designed this Arai system needs a slap. Shoei did it the right way. They didnt weaken the shell of the GT Air with a internal visor. They actually mould the lid and then added on an extra layer on the lid that houses the internal visor. So they have the best of both worlds without that stupid looking external visor from Arai.

Couldn't agree more. Looks like a terrible design.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i had writen a longer review but browser kicked me out and i couldn't be arsed, ill update about the rain when i get stuck in it. the shape and size of the visor lets you see the mirrors and instruments at a glance in the clear section without having to move your head.

Pros..
    i like the shade size and tint % and the mechanism for holding it up.
    screen is thicker and has pinlock recess

Cons..
    The noise is increased (but it's already a noisey heltmet so doesn't bother me.)

Getting back to the debate of whether you use the external sun visor in the rain :) Friday was such a day, I got lashed on and then the sun came out, resulting in a double layer of rain drops on the visor. The clear visor had raindrops on it, and when I pulled the shaded external visor down, it had its own set of raindrops on it, which was a pita.
    However, I still like it (admittedly I got mine free so it was worth every penny)
    I'd imagine its much easier to actually grasp the visor and pull it down than looking for a lever on the lid.

Advertisement