Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training question

• 21-12-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Quick question, can going hard on a turbo for an 1 hour on Friday and doing a 150km endurance spin on Sat followed by another spin on a Sunday affect performance?

Today I was cycling for about 60km out of my 130km endurance spin and then I approached a hill and was going fine up it and then suddenly three cyclists overtook me up the hill. Hills are my strongest point in cycling so I tried to hold there wheel but suddenly there was one surge followed by another and I was dead and buried and I completely lost them and my legs gave up to the cause. I had a bike that weighs 11kg and there are cheap heavy wheels on it at the moment, but that group that overtook looked like semi pros or A1/A2 racers but I cant be sure, they had decent carbon fibre bikes and one of them was a female and I was very impressed by them. Again they might be just individuals who dont race I dont know but they looked like good racers. I have alot of cycling done since September. I am clocking up 300km a week between interval training with videos and long endurance spins Saturday and Sundays, so I thought there should be no way they could get away that easy without me hanging on to them. I was going well on the bike and am at my fittest phase ever and finished with A2s on last few sportives but this totally destroyed my confidence today and to be fired out the back like that wasnt good and now makes me wonder am I doing the wrong training for A4 racing? When am I going to peak or am I burned out? Am I looking too much into it?

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You had 60km done, they may only have done 10km and had fresh legs and like you said they could have been semi pro/A1 or A2 racers. I wouldn't beat myself up about it too much.

You should be able to tell by your average speed and segment speeds if your down much on previous times??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You had 60km done, they may only have done 10km and had fresh legs and like you said they could have been semi pro/A1 or A2 racers. I wouldn't beat myself up about it too much.

You should be able to tell by your average speed and segment speeds if your down much on previous times??

You previous times on that hill should be your pointer. When the A1/2 lads in our club stick down some power on the hills I wouldn't expect to be able to stay with them. It is all relative to what your capable of and also what the others are capable of as well. As Cee has said maybe they hadn't been out the Saturday. To be honest I wouldn't really worry about it. Training really is a personal thing. I know myself at the moment there has been a few Saturdays where at the end of our group spin I'm gone out the back with nothing left in the legs but now isn't the time to be flying is it. Trust your own body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

You previous times on that hill should be your pointer. When the A1/2 lads in our club stick down some power on the hills I wouldn't expect to be able to stay with them. It is all relative to what your capable of and also what the others are capable of as well. As Cee has said maybe they hadn't been out the Saturday. To be honest I wouldn't really worry about it. Training really is a personal thing. I know myself at the moment there has been a few Saturdays where at the end of our group spin I'm gone out the back with nothing left in the legs but now isn't the time to be flying is it. Trust your own body.

I personally did struggle on today's spin I had to cycle solo for 10km into a terrible headwind and looking at strava I was a good bit slower than my personal best up there previously but my best up that hill was set with an aero bike that weighs 7.5kg and not 11kg. My legs were sore by the end of the 130km spin today. Those cyclists who overtook me looked in good form cycling wise for late December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Maybe you could try : http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/ to see if any of them were using strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Amprodude wrote: »
    Quick question, can going hard on a turbo for an 1 hour on Friday and doing a 150km endurance spin on Sat followed by another spin on a Sunday affect performance?

Today I was cycling for about 60km out of my 130km endurance spin and then I approached a hill and was going fine up it and then suddenly three cyclists overtook me up the hill. Hills are my strongest point in cycling so I tried to hold there wheel but suddenly there was one surge followed by another and I was dead and buried and I completely lost them and my legs gave up to the cause. I had a bike that weighs 11kg and there are cheap heavy wheels on it at the moment, but that group that overtook looked like semi pros or A1/A2 racers but I cant be sure, they had decent carbon fibre bikes and one of them was a female and I was very impressed by them. Again they might be just individuals who dont race I dont know but they looked like good racers. I have alot of cycling done since September. I am clocking up 300km a week between interval training with videos and long endurance spins Saturday and Sundays, so I thought there should be no way they could get away that easy without me hanging on to them. I was going well on the bike and am at my fittest phase ever and finished with A2s on last few sportives but this totally destroyed my confidence today and to be fired out the back like that wasnt good and now makes me wonder am I doing the wrong training for A4 racing? When am I going to peak or am I burned out? Am I looking too much into it?

Advice appreciated.
    you asked a simple, but very important question in your first line, and the answer is yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

you asked a simple, but very important question in your first line, and the answer is yes!

You cant be flying all the time, there are no medals for going well this time of year.
    you should have shouted you were doing a zone 1 recovery ride!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I wouldn't let it destroy your confidence. Rome wasn't built in a day. Have you been racing or just doing sportive up to this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Probably a bit early in the training cycle to be flying up the hills. Other factors might also affect how you feel on a given day-maybe you need to get a bit more sleep to help with recovery for example, or maybe throw in some easier weeks to allow yourself to recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

No one should be attacking hills in December.
    Once the racing season starts, is when you can start chasing random attacking cyclists. Not now.
    Also, as a cyclist, you will be overtaken by hundred more people. What they look like is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Don't compare yourself to other cyclists, there will always be cyclists better than you. Concentrate on improving yourself and stick to intensities that you can handle not what others are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Getting passed on a hill always feels like getting dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I wouldn't let it destroy your confidence. Rome wasn't built in a day. Have you been racing or just doing sportive up to this point?

2014 was my first year racing. I did 5 A4 races this year and have 4 points. Did 1 league race and got 1point.

Trying to improve for next season and have a goal to get up to A3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Well shur there you go. Those riders could have been a higher grade and seasoned racers. No need to take much notice of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I got beaten by a 13 year old on the Poggio yesterday.

My kids thought this was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

daragh_ wrote: »

I hope it wasn't a girl. That would be embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No one should be attacking hills in December.

Winter miles Summer smiles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Raam wrote: »
    I hope it wasn't a girl. That would be embarrassing.

He was wearing a Kanturk Jersey. Make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

daragh_ wrote: »

We all got beaten by him, he was eager to drop us from Laragh...

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Apologies for hijacked the thread but at least my question is training based. I've come back to cycling after many many....many years, my last road race was when I was 19yrs old....I'm now 42. Anyway, just interested now in general fitness and sportive riding. I am doing some training at the moment on the turbo trainer as I can't get out during the week and I was wondering is it still all about the miles in the legs this time of year, I remember as a junior rider our club coach would lock out our front deraileurs to stop us using the big ring during the winter. It was just about cadence and miles....what do people think nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

+1 to Sprocket.
    1 hour belting it out goodo on a turbo, next day 150k endurance spin and the next day anther good spin....
    With no rest day inbetween, muscles stretched and drained friom the day before and no opportunity for the body to re-cooperate fully much of the carbs lost, I think you did pretty well just to climb the hills, let alone keep up with A1 or A2 cyclists....
    Me thinks you might be asking too much of yourself?

• Advertisement
Advertisement