Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ Sports Awards 2014. 9.30 RTE 1. Sunday 21st December

• 21-12-2014 10:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭

It may lack the glamour of its British equivalent but also has less of the schmaltz that goes with it.

The Irish awards always seem more down to earth.

Is there no panel this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Is there no panel this year?

Hopefully not, its painful enough as it is....!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Ah you'd miss Dunphy giving out all the same.

RTÉ should have got Niamh Horan from the Sindo in to do this interview !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'd guess Rory has to win something, seeing as he showed up (and the sassenachs didn't give him their one last week).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Skid X wrote: »
    I'd guess Rory has to win something, seeing as he showed up (and the sassenachs didn't give him their one last week).

Getting wayyyyyyy more TV time than the previous people too.

Was only going to be him winning SPOTY anyway.

• Advertisement

Less of the thigh slapping please lads.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Getting wayyyyyyy more TV time than the previous people too.

Was only going to be him winning SPOTY anyway.

He only came second in that, Lewis Hamilton won.

Lewis Hamilton won......

......And started World War III as a result.

You could hear a pin drop, probably not much fun being in the audience. It's all changed since the IFTA's !

I'd love him to hand it back and say 'I'll come back and pick it up in 40 years'.

Jimmy Magee will probably be there to present it to him then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Brilliant BO'D montage.

Some of his tactical analysis on BT Sport is great. He is a natural at this TV lark.

I always feel sorry for the researchers who have to do this list. You are always going to have complaints from those who think you left out someone who should have been on the list.

The question is not who will get the team of the year award but how much the Rugby team will win by.

Oh no - Earplug time. As much as I admire Katie, I can't listen to her.

Hang on lads (and it was three lads discussing who is Ireland's greatest ever sportswoman), Katie only has one Olympic medal.

Michelle Smith can play pitch & toss will all the medals she has. Isn't that right Jimmy?

Hang on lads (and it was three lads discussing who is Ireland's greatest ever sportswoman), Katie only has one Olympic medal.

Michelle Smith can play pitch & toss will all the medals she has. Isn't that right Jimmy?

I'm a big fan of Katie, but you can't ignore the fact that Womens Boxing is very much a minority Sport. Sonia won several World Championships (including two in a weekend), it's annoying to see them writing her off like that.

But yeah, Jimmy appears to have changed his tune about Michelle Smith.

Can't begrudge Schmidt his award but I'd prefer to see him there this time next year holding the world cup in his hand and talking about how 2015 got off to a flying start by winning the grand slam.

I don't ask for much do I ?

It's an impressive turnout this year. Hope Jonny Sexton is alright, his head issues sound worrying.

Ronan O'Gara has just thrown his TV out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Can't begrudge Schmidt his award but I'd prefer to see him there this time next year holding the world cup in his hand and talking about how 2015 got off to a flying start by winning the grand slam.

I don't ask for much do I ?
    Dont care about grand slam or winning a championship as long as performances dont nose dive. 2015 is only about the world cup
    It's an impressive turnout this year. Hope Jonny Sexton is alright, his head issues sound worrying.
    Sexton should be ok. Rest should do him a lot of good but worrying he had so many concussions/blows over a short enough period

• Advertisement

Wow, wasn't expecting that. I thought the rugby team would piss it.

I don't begrudge it to them either.

Pity they had to endure meeting that plonker Michael Ring though.

Then it would be deserved.!!
    But this year im not sure.
    We didn't win the Grand Slam, and only won the Championship because France gave a forward pass at the final play of the game when it was easier to score a try.
    Just goes to show the importance of media hype for these awards.
    (and the importance of rugby school boy Ryle Nugent as RTE head of sport)

Wow, wasn't expecting that. I thought the rugby team would piss it.

I don't begrudge it to them either.

Pity they had to endure meeting that plonker Michael Ring though.

Text votes are a lottery, if you organise your supporters you have a good chance of winning.

I'm glad Rory won.

Nidge killer.

washman3 wrote: »
    We didn't win the Grand Slam, and only won the Championship because France gave a forward pass at the final play of the game when it was easier to score a try.
    We were deserving championship winners though and it shouldnt have to take a Grand Slam... we've won 2 grand slams compared to 10+ championships
    Role of Vile Nugent had nothing to do with the award....

washman3 wrote: »

Since Ryle Nugent became Head of Sport RTE have lost all the Rugby rights (except the Six Nations). Considering the interest level in the sport it doesn't get more than it's fair share of coverage on RTE.

We were deserving championship winners though and it shouldnt have to take a Grand Slam... we've won 2 grand slams compared to 10+ championships
    Role of Vile Nugent had nothing to do with the award....

Not disputing we were champions but the outcome was by accident rather than design and certainly not the result on a coaches master stroke/strokes.
    TBF England would have been even more deserving champions. Their display on that final matchday was professionalism at its best, albeit against an average Italian side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Jimmy Magee on RTE Sports Awards, when discussing Katie Taylor, mentions Flojo as one of the all time greats of women in sport. Unforgivable, but not surprising given his attitude towards Michelle Smith.

Also, no sign of the Irish 4x400 relay team in the nominees for Team of the Year. I mean they only came 5th in fecking Europe, and broke the national record twice in two days!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

The big prize goes to Daragh Moloney for his top class MC presentation. Mark my words, RTE will not be able to hang on to this man much longer as SKY and BBC will offer him lots of lolly.
    I'm glad that an egg ball didn't win team of the year also and my choice would have been the Mayo football team who keep coming back for more year after year despite being rode by bent referees and downright bad luck.
    I'm amazed that Mick O Dwyer didn't feature in the manager of the year award...........LOL

• Advertisement

wackokid wrote: »
    The big prize goes to Daragh Moloney for his top class MC presentation. Mark my words, RTE will not be able to hang on to this man much longer as SKY and BBC will offer him lots of lolly.
    I'm glad that an egg ball didn't win team of the year also and my choice would have been the Mayo football team who keep coming back for more year after year despite being rode by bent referees and downright bad luck.
    I'm amazed that Mick O Dwyer didn't feature in the manager of the year award...........LOL
    Egg ball :rolleyes:
    Mayo team of the year :pac::pac:
    No bent referees just simply not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

wackokid wrote: »

If we're going to play this game my vote for team of the year would be the Dublin footballers, just that good they were going to win at least 5 in a row......

Advertisement