Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who needs a 300mm prime!

Options
  • 21-12-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

In Stephens green on Friday and what i thought was a rock flew by my face. I looked around and saw this going on about 10 feet from me.

I only had my fuji x100 with its 35mm prime, but started snapping anyway, creeping closer. Got to about 2 feet away before he/she started getting a bit concerned.

I lived in the countryside for 20 years and only ever saw one of these from a distance but in the center of Dublin one a scene like this lands on the ground beside you! Amazing!

16071750041_9d62405229_c.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

we need more to kill off the pigeons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

You been on Grafton St lately, more people than pigeons. If these guys can start picking off people we might be better off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Absolutely fantastic photo and as you say even more so in view of the location

- you should also post it over on the birds/wildlife thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055338830&page=310

with the story

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Send it to the papers as well, a few of them will definitely print it - buy yourself a nice xmas present with the proceeds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

CinSoots wrote: »
    Send it to the papers as well, a few of them will definitely print it - buy yourself a nice xmas present with the proceeds!!

How does that work, do i just go to their site, find the "contact us" page and give them a shout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Irish Examiner = picturedesk@examiner.ie - just include a caption and your contact details.

PS. Great Pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Excellent picture Fintan

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Superb photo and it is a sight to behold. I caught one earlier this year on video but unfortunately it was just on my phone. Fantastic to see it in the city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely shot; we've gotten sparrowhawk kills several times in our back garden, in the suburbs on the northside of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tom tit tot

Wow! What are the chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Clicked the thread thinking somebody spotted a bargain for 300mm primes :pac:

I've seen a fox running across the road into St. Stephen's Green one night. It's so weird to see wildlife in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

braddun wrote: »
    we need more to kill off the pigeons
    We need a few Taliban to kill off you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    In Stephens green on Friday and what i thought was a rock flew by my face. I looked around and saw this going on about 10 feet from me.

I only had my fuji x100 with its 35mm prime, but started snapping anyway, creeping closer. Got to about 2 feet away before he/she started getting a bit concerned.

I lived in the countryside for 20 years and only ever saw one of these from a distance but in the center of Dublin one a scene like this lands on the ground beside you! Amazing!

16071750041_9d62405229_c.jpg

Brilliant shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

That hawk is posing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭92cooper

Fantastic photo!! Look at those eyes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭92cooper

...and the head on the poor Pigeon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

Fantastic. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

What an incredible shot. A shot we would all love to capture. Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

keps wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic photo and as you say even more so in view of the location
    Might be because farmers out the country have been known to poison them because "they kill the sheep".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Great shot. Poor pigeon!

PS On the who needs a 300mm prime? .... me, me , me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nice shot, well done!

I often see Foxes in an area of Raheny my Mam lives in ...

Advertisement