Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Break in's

Options
  • 19-11-2014 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Lately there have been numerous break in's in the Douglas area, Gardaí have been telling those burgled that its a gang coming in via the tunnel and hitting douglas because of the road network....etc

but not telling anybody else in the area, there has been nothing on social media, and other residents haven't heard a thing (unless of course you knew someone who was burgled) am i wrong in thinking there should be some alert in the area from the gardaí for people to know the area is being targeted?

now tonight it's come out a man in his 70's has been stabbed after finding an intruder in his home, the intruder has escaped and was possibly around douglas since 4.30pm (according to the news article) and yet nobody in Douglas was told about this until it broke on twitter about an hour ago, i really hope the man is ok :( i am just astounded at the lack of information for residents in potential danger,

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-stabbed-burglary-cork-1789376-Nov2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Heard nothing about this until now.. Shame you think the guards would call around or do something more to alert people in the areas of what is happening.. They will probably have some excuse like they don't have the man power but that is silly.. Is there a local crime watch gang or maybe it might be an idea to set up something with the locals to keep an eye out for any suspicious characters..

I remember someone telling me about some chaps doing break ins up by grange and again like this they notified the local guards. They were watching people who were mass goers and breaking in while they were at mass.. The guards knew about it but said well there wasn't much they could do

any news on the man who got stabbed horrible thing to happen hope he has family to look after him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Scumbags so they are. Such a devastating thing to have your home burgled. It's not just the items taken either, it's the invasion of privacy, the invasion of your bit of the world. For what too? An iPod? A camera? A laptop? To them it's a couple of hundred euro which they'll probably piss away. To the owner it's their music, their photos, their work. As I send, scumbags, thoughtless thieving scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Wait, this happened in Douglas? Oh dear..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Colibri wrote: »
    Wait, this happened in Douglas? Oh dear..

interesting reply.care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Dbu wrote: »
    interesting reply.care to elaborate?

I'm living in Douglas, this frightens me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

We were burgled in Douglas(Shamrock Lawn) this time two years ago. We left the house at 4 when it was bright(but didn't pull the blinds). Was out at my mothers talking about burglars and returned home at about 8 to the lights on upstairs with the blinds pulled.

Front door was made of wood and had a basic lock. The door had been popped with a large screw driver. The back door of the house was left wide open. Downstairs was fine and upstairs was completely ransacked.

The neighbours house was also robbed with the same tactics and a house 2 rows back.

The sick feckers even went through our babies cot

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

The problem is that there is nothing to be afraid of if you are a scumbag. No prison, free legal aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I watched a guy yesterday with his hood up standing in the drive way of the house across the road, he then went next door and rang the bell then stood there, then walked back a bit then had another look, I think he was checking to see if anyone was home,
    he walked out onto the footpath still looking at the house then had a good look across the road, but he got into a car then and drove off, I'm convinced he was up to something, door to door sellers don't wear track suits and hoodies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

bladebrew wrote: »
    I watched a guy yesterday with his hood up standing in the drive way of the house across the road, he then went next door and rang the bell then stood there, then walked back a bit then had another look, I think he was checking to see if anyone was home,
    he walked out onto the footpath still looking at the house then had a good look across the road, but he got into a car then and drove off, I'm convinced he was up to something, door to door sellers don't wear track suits and hoodies!

did you get his car reg? or report this? please say you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

From bitter experience:
    - photograph your valuables\property, incl. serial numbers. It won't take long really.

Oh, and then save the photos somewhere suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've noticed 3 of these-type of characters recently in varying parts around Killarney town.

Don't know if 'working' together or just co-incidental behaviour and mannerisms.
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

hoodwinked wrote: »
    did you get his car reg? or report this? please say you have!

No I didnt get his number plate unfortunately, I was on the way out in the car anyway but when I saw him I went back inside because I wanted to see what he was at, I didn't want to report it without his number plate, I was a bit annoyed when he drove off I couldn't read it! I'm not working at the moment so if he comes back I will see him at least!

You could at least let your neighbors know perhaps? Make them aware.

No I didnt get his number plate unfortunately, I was on the way out in the car anyway but when I saw him I went back inside because I wanted to see what he was at, I didn't want to report it without his number plate, I was a bit annoyed when he drove off I couldn't read it! I'm not working at the moment so if he comes back I will see him at least!

Did you check outside the house for markings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

get an alarm -thatll stop most of them the noise will make them run off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

get an alarm -thatll stop most of them the noise will make them run off

Doubt that very much. No one pays any attention to house alarms going off. 99% of the time it is a fault.

Ludo wrote: »
    Doubt that very much. No one pays any attention to house alarms going off. 99% of the time it is a fault.

You doubt so you dont know-cheers for that valid opinion

Lol...it is as valid as your opinion above. I can remove the "doubt" if that makes you happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

CZ 453 wrote: »
    We were burgled in Douglas(Shamrock Lawn) this time two years ago. We left the house at 4 when it was bright(but didn't pull the blinds). Was out at my mothers talking about burglars and returned home at about 8 to the lights on upstairs with the blinds pulled.

Front door was made of wood and had a basic lock. The door had been popped with a large screw driver. The back door of the house was left wide open. Downstairs was fine and upstairs was completely ransacked.

The neighbours house was also robbed with the same tactics and a house 2 rows back.

The sick feckers even went through our babies cot

Sorry to hear that I would be insane with rage, blood boils reading about it

etoughguy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that I would be insane with rage, blood boils reading about it

Ah sure. What can ya do...Time is a great healer. At the time I was enraged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Ah sure. What can ya do...Time is a great healer. At the time I was enraged.

True that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I agree with this....100%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

My elderly mother was recently burgled as well (Lough). The Gardaí told her it was likely they picked her house as there was no alarm - it's not the noise that puts them off, it's just easier to go elsewhere. She's getting one fitted.

Scary really - they broke in through a rear window which was only replaced a few years ago. It's the bog standard triple locked, double glazed, "security" window used in loads of modern houses. They knew exactly what to do and, probably only using a hammer and screwdriver, were in in seconds I'd say (she wasn't home).

Joke was on them though - if you were after bling, my mother's house is definitely the wrong place! They only took one watch, which they dumped in the garden behind her house because it was worth **** all. Dirty ****ing scumbags.

The alarms are a minor deterrent but a minor one could make the difference. These people are cowards, preying on unsuspecting targets when they are out. If it's a choice between a house with an alarm and one without, I know which I'd rather live in. It's also good to try and develop a relationship with your neighbours if you can so if the alarm does go, they might think twice and give you a call. Again, it's a small thing but the small things count.

Something I do if I'm away for the weekend or holiday - I've a few old smartphones I've since upgraded from (worth next to nothing to sell on) that I now use as webcams around the house so I can keep an eye on it. Now all I need is a tazer gun attached to a remote controlled toy car and I'm set.

A big/loud dog is the only deterrent that will really work I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Did you check outside the house for markings?

Load of old cobblers, urban legend spread online, 'tags' or hoaxers trying to put the wind up people. Anyway, it's far easier for crims to contact each other about potential targets on their mobiles, they're the new thing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

A few months ago ,I had two scumbags come right up to me at the back window of my house looking in. I got the fright of my life & had an alarm fitted after that - touch wood haven't had a repeat issue.

I agree with this....100%

Ok dont get an alarm lets see your house get robbed-do you think people get alarms for the fun of it ?

You seem to lack basic social knowledge like the other gob****e

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bacchus wrote: »
    The alarms are a minor deterrent but a minor one could make the difference. These people are cowards, preying on unsuspecting targets when they are out. If it's a choice between a house with an alarm and one without, I know which I'd rather live in.

People might not take much notice of an alarm going off but might rattle an intruder enough to abandon what he's at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Ok dont get an alarm lets see your house get robbed-do you think people get alarms for the fun of it ?

You seem to lack basic social knowledge like the other gob****e

i know plenty of people without alarms who have never been robbed, i know plenty of people with alarms who have,

best thing you can do is have one of those cctv system's (try and catch them after the fact) and take other measures (make sure to lock up, try to mix up your routines of coming and going or have more than one person coming in and out of your house at random times)

obviously no system is foolproof (i have heard of dogs being poisoned in house's with big scary dogs...etc)

when i hear a house alarm go off my first thought is not "it's a robbery, call the gardaí" it's "oh no not again, how long will we be listening to this racket this time" it's why i was suggesting the gardaí should be warning locals, as if i knew douglas was being targeted constantly and i heard an alarm go off i would be more inclined to phone them rather than the everyday occurrence of false alarms...

Advertisement