Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GGG vs Marco Antonio Rubio

• 17-10-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

Rubio weighed in nearly 3lbs overweight for the fight, Golovkin for his part was 1lb under the weight.

Apparently Golovkin has offered to come to the UK to fight Froch. I wonder how GGG would get on at supermiddleweight as he is so comfortable at middle I think he would be at a big disadvantage size wise if he stepped up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Yeah, I'm actually more interested in Walters and Donaire. I think Donaire doesn't have the same interest anymore. He seems very happy and contented with his life and that hunger seems to be waning.

I've seen Walters twice and was quite impressed, but thought he was a work in progress. I'm surprised he's taking on Donaire at this stage, I thought this was the sort of fight he'd have 2 or 3 fights down the road. Having said that, I think he can take this on points as he's naturally bigger and stronger and quite busy, along with having a punch that Donaire will have to respect.

In short he's the fighter on the way up and Donaire is slipping, so Walters is worth putting a few bob on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Rubio went 12 with Chavez Jr so it wouldn't surprise me to see him give Golovkin some work. He won't win though.

Donaire-Walters is a great fight. Very interesting. Walters has a huge 73" reach, almost unheard of for a featherweight. If he can stay disciplined and just peck away at Donaire without looking for anything big early on, the frustration will start to eat away at Nonito.

Donaire thrives on his opponent's aggression, but when he's forced to lead himself he doesn't look good at all. He's a lot like Marquez in that respect. Walters could well force him to take silly risks, and has the power to make him pay if he does.

It's an intriguing fight. Could be very cagey, or there could be fireworks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Henno30 wrote: »

Donaire-Walters is a great fight. Very interesting. Walters has a huge 73" reach, almost unheard of for a featherweight. .

What is he? A f*cking Urang Utan?

Rubio missed weight by nearly two pounds yesterday. Robert Garcia strikes again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I hope Rubio gives GGG a good fight because I can't wait to see more of the latters brilliance, his fights are normally over before the kettle has boiled.

I fully expect Donaire to win his fight, albeit by decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kpb87

Anyone know what time this fight card is starting at or how to watch it over here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kpb87

pac_man wrote: »
    Coverage starts on sky sports 1 @ 2am.

Much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,699 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Coverage starts on sky sports 1 @ 2am.

Brill. I thought it was boxnation. That station got cancelled on me. Paywizard unable to update my credit card details? Still trying to sort it. Anyone else experience this with Paywizard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Really looking forward to seeing Walters later.

He's done it the hard way, no big promoters, no shortcuts or easy hand picked fights and no padded record. He's got here through ability rather than connections.

I think he stops Donaire in the second half of this fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

walshb wrote: »
    Brill. I thought it was boxnation. That station got cancelled on me. Paywizard unable to update my credit card details? Still trying to sort it. Anyone else experience this with Paywizard?

Will be watching it off Skygo myself, delighted I don't have to deal with crap streams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

There's no doubt about it, Donaire vs Walters is the fight of the night.
    Walters first properly came to my attention a few years ago when Celestino Caballero's team refused their mandatory defense against him (for average-okay money) and ending up waiting on the sidelines for ages as a result, and losing his next fight (for crap money) vs Robinson Castellanos.

Walters isn't an elite level fighter, but he is pretty decent and as mentioned by a few is tall at the weight, has extremely long arms and can crack a fair bit. His handspeed isn't bad either, and he's a pretty smart fighter, sets traps very well.
    Nonito hasn't looked the same since he lost to Rigondeaux and moved up to Featherweight, and tbh going on form here you have to give the edge to the same people the bookies have and that's Walters. So Walters by stoppage for me.

As for the main event, I think we'll see a one sided fight with Golovkin dominating and gaining a stoppage in the mid rounds. Golovkin doesn't present the opportunities like CHavez jnr does, and he's far better at punishing you when you do let your hands go. Rubio is fine at B level, but up against the top guys he just can't mix it, and he'll get beat tonight worse than the way Pavlik beat him.

That was a sensational performance from Walters. He really grew into that fight, and seemed to be learning and adjusting in the fight itself, he looked much better than he did vs Darchinyan, despite it being far more competitive.

Some of his defence in the later rounds on the inside was class, and the way he pressured Donaire was very impressive. I may not have given him the credit he deserves, because Walters is going to be very, very difficult to beat at this weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Delighted that nightmare woke me up!

Take a couple of rounds to practice then do what you got to do... Lol

Will anyone fight him???

It was the bodyshots that made him want out. Rubio was hurt from the right uppercut, and overhand left that came shortly after, but he could have got up if he wanted.

Golovkin needs to be in there with other Elite or A level fighters, B level guys are no use for him now.

@HBOboxing: WATCH - And just like that, @GGGBoxing ends Rubio's night with this huge left hook in the 2nd http://t.co/3xJhPrES9w #GolovkinRubio

No-one is going to go near him. Cotto is too small, Martinez looked shot and Quillin no chance.He needs to move up in weight.

Oh I agree, the best you'll get to face him at Middleweight would be Sam Soliman (once his knee is right), *Martin Murray, the winner of Lee vs Korobov. I'm not even a small bit interested in any of those guys facing him, so I guess Super-Middleweight is the only way to go.
    But who's the say the guys at that weight will even fight him ?, both Andre Ward and Carl Froch have been fairly dismissive of him when it comes to him being a potential opponent in the past.

Andre Ward probably spends more time studying law than he does fighting nowdays anyway, so he's not even relevant.

*Murray's old team ran a mile from Golovkin, but apparently his new lot actually want the fight if he wins next week, well according to Sky...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

If GGG should go to SMW then Froch will talk himself into a mega payday with Chavez jnr or de Gale. GGG will end up fighting someone like Bika or Dirrell. cotto has no business taking on GGG & probably won't.

GGG is likely to end up fighting top tenners at either division until he becomes disinterested. I reckon TMT are ****ting themselves wondering if GGG will overtake PBF as TBE. 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Big Ears wrote: »
    Oh I agree, the best you'll get to face him at Middleweight would be Sam Soliman (once his knee is right), *Martin Murray, the winner of Lee vs Korobov. I'm not even a small bit interested in any of those guys facing him, so I guess Super-Middleweight is the only way to go.
    But who's the say the guys at that weight will even fight him ?, both Andre Ward and Carl Froch have been fairly dismissive of him when it comes to him being a potential opponent in the past.

Andre Ward probably spends more time studying law than he does fighting nowdays anyway, so he's not even relevant.

*Murray's old team ran a mile from Golovkin, but apparently his new lot actually want the fight if he wins next week, well according to Sky...

A fit and warmed up ward can beat golovkin. Frochs people have been told the true mw champion will travel to the uk and they are not interested. That says it all. If a smw champs team are scared of him. what must the rest of the mid weights be thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 The Oak Tree

Golovkin is number one p4p. It's as simple as that.

Disappointed again. GGG is just too good. I really thought Rubio would have at least lasted until round 5.

I think Jermain Taylor will take a fight with Golovkin and get brutally hammered. Cotto will avoid him at all costs I think and I wouldn't be surprised if Lee gets a fight with him too.

Only Andre Ward can beat GGG imo. Anyone a division above or below is brutally beaten even Mayweather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

A fit and warmed up ward can beat golovkin. Frochs people have been told the true mw champion will travel to the uk and they are not interested. That says it all. If a smw champs team are scared of him. what must the rest of the mid weights be thinking
    Disappointed again. GGG is just too good. I really thought Rubio would have at least lasted until round 5.

I think Jermain Taylor will take a fight with Golovkin and get brutally hammered. Cotto will avoid him at all costs I think and I wouldn't be surprised if Lee gets a fight with him too.

Only Andre Ward can beat GGG imo. Anyone a division above or below is brutally beaten even Mayweather.

Getting so tired of the non fighting from Ward. He is pissing away the prime of his career. That being said a primed Ward vs Golovkin would be a superb matchup and set the winner apart as the clear P4P No.1.

Froch is right to go no where near him. He would take serious punishment & due to his toughness think it could do some long term damage if he got punched by a mule for 8-10 rounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Gelatomela

Mayweather would have his head taken off. He doesn't even have the power to hurt Maidana anymore, Goodwin would walk straight through his pot shots, break his ribs and decapitate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Really not interested in seeing Golovkin in fights like this. The best fighters he has fought are Rubio,Geale and Macklin, hardly world beaters. I know he's more than likely being avoided but it's still disappointing.

I don't know what to make of Walters after this win. Sure, it was impressive to beat Donaire but for some reason or another I'm not excited by him.

Didn't see the fight but wondering why you would think this? Looks like one a fighter to get excited about!

Yeah really thought Nonito would come out on top but Walters was impressive...a fight between him and Jhonny would be incredible. I think Lomachenko beats him easily though which will hopefully lure Rigo to move up after he cleans out Super Bantamweight.

I think Jermain Taylor will take a fight with Golovkin and get brutally hammered.
    Cotto will avoid him at all costs I think and I wouldn't be surprised if Lee gets a fight with him too.

Probably a less than 1% chance that fight happens. Taylor has Hassan N'Jikam as a mandatory, but even that aside Taylor is managed by Al Haymon now. Haymon won't let either of his top Middleweights (Quillin being the other) anywhere near Golovkin, but he probably will sacrifice Taylor to Quillin to further his stock and give him a belt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Just finished looking at the card. Walters and Donaire fight was a good watch. Donaire decent in early rounds but Walters got to grips him and was to strong for him as Donaire said himself don't think he can fight at this weight. Great respect between the two at the end nice to see.

Easy night for GGG again! Rubio was obviously terrified of his power because he didn't want to get up. Don't know where GGG goes now. Also I think it's a bit premature saying he's no1 pound for pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Also I think it's a bit premature saying he's no1 pound for pound.

Not sure he is there yet (certainly top 5) but he is definitely in the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Not sure he is there yet (certainly top 5) but he is definitely in the conversation.

Fair enough but he needs to beat few more quality fighters to be talked about as no1. Every chance he can end up no1

I'm a bit bewildered by the overrating of GGG in regards to what he may do at SMW. He is quality at MW, but the jump to 168 won't be that easy. Interesting that he weighed 173 lbs last night; this is very close to what SMW men are on fight night. Will he cary his MW power in against natural 168 lbers? What of his chin when a big SMW tags it? Talk of GGG moving down in weight? Very unlikely. No way Cotto meets him. That would be a slaughter. Cotto rated above him at MW? I guess that belongs in the thread about the problems with pro boxing.

Donaire boxed very well last night. He was just not strong enough for a man at least a weight class above him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Gelatomela

I'm a bit bewildered by the overrating of GGG in regards to what he may do at SMW. He is quality at MW, but the jump to 168 won't be that easy. Interesting that he weighed 173 lbs last night; this is very close to what SMW men are on fight night. Will he cary his MW power in against natural 168 lbers? What of his chin when a big SMW tags it? Talk of GGG moving down in weight? Very unlikely. No way Cotto meets him. That would be a slaughter. Cotto rated above him at MW? I guess that belongs in the thread about the problems with pro boxing.

Donaire boxed very well last night. He was juts not strong enough for a man at least a weight class above him.

It's been said that Golovkin has the power of an average heavy weight. If true his power would be more than enough for super middle weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Donaire boxed very well last night. He was just not strong enough for a man at least a weight class above him.

Surely Rubio was/is the size of a SMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

There can be no questions of his chin either.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Surely Rubio was/is the size of a SMW.

He was 181 lbs. That doesn't tell the whole story. Rubio was flabby at this weight. I am talking about the likes of the real natural 168 lb men. Men who are really LHW fighting at SMW. Anyway, I will wait and see. Let us see how GGG reacts to being hit solid by the likes of Froch and Ward.

Gelatomela wrote: »
    It's been said that Golovkin has the power of an average heavy weight. If true his power would be more than enough for super middle weight.

Who says this, and how is it even verifiable?

There can be no questions of his chin either.

Thare can always be questions of his chin. Not sure what proves this assertion? Yes, as it stands his chin has proven solid. We won't know how the chin reacts when it gets hit hard by SMW boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Thare can always be questions of his chin. Not sure what proves this assertion? Yes, as it stands his chin has proven solid. We won't know how the chin reacts when it gets hit hard by SMW boxers.

Never being knocked down in 400 fights, never even wobbled as a pro as far as I know. Granted stepping up in weight will test it further but I think it is fair to say that it is sound and not much reason for concern.

Froch and Ward are hardly huge punchers as well.

I think Golovkin beats Froch and loses to Ward on points.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Froch and Ward are hardly huge punchers as well.

I think Golovkin beats Froch and loses to Ward on points.

Yes, Ward doesn't appear to be all that heavy handed. Carl has heavy and numbing hands. Enough to test GGGs chin if he connects clean. I would have to go with Ward against GGG, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a really clear victory.

Yes, Ward doesn't appear to be all that heavy handed. Carl has heavy and numbing hands. Enough to test GGGs chin if he connects clean. I would have to go with Ward against GGG, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a really clear victory.

The fight with Froch would be at least interesting to tell us a bit more about GGG, to date his biggest fights have been Rubio and Macklin, he has disposed of them easily but hardly huge tests. There is no way GGG can be considered for number 1 P4P with the opponents he has fought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just got to see the bill now and as far as I'm concerned it's all about Walters.
    That was very, very impressive. I really didn't see Nonito getting stopped, but from the time of the knockdown in the 3rd he looked very wary. Funny enough, before that he looked as sharp as I've seen him in a long time, which is why I really rate this performance from Walters. He looks so hungry and even more than his power I was so impressed with his defense - I can't ever remember Donaire's left hook missing so regularly.

Walters is definitely one to watch.

Golovkin was also impressive, but I thought the win was tainted by the fact that Rubio could definitely have beaten the count. And that is a fact. This fake complaining afterwards about being up before 10 is ridiculous. He was perfectly clear-headed, but just didn't want to go on.

I really rate him but it's a pity there's nobody to test him at middleweight to give GGG a better standing, cos I believe he'd be a strong favourite against Cotto and would probably stop him in the later rounds.

Walters was hugely impressive. He'll take some stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Thought Donaire did pretty well actually, think the size and power difference at the weight was too much for him. He hasn't the same advantages he had at the lower weights.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Thought Donaire did pretty well actually, think the size and power difference at the weight was too much for him. He hasn't the same advantages he had at the lower weights.

I agree. He looked sharper than ever, and was really getting power into his shots. The foe was just a weight or so above him. I would say 6-7 lbs naturally bigger.

Disappointing to see Donaire talking about moving back down already. Even though there's a promotional barrier, I would have liked to see him take on Mares at 126. I think he could win a lot of relatively big fights at 126, just not against a powerhouse like Walters.

What are the odds of getting Frampton-Donaire at 122?

Henno30 wrote: »
    Disappointing to see Donaire talking about moving back down already. Even though there's a promotional barrier, I would have liked to see him take on Mares at 126. I think he could win a lot of relatively big fights at 126, just not against a powerhouse like Walters.

What are the odds of getting Frampton-Donaire at 122?

Not sure what moving down would do to his body. The guy looks fairly natural at 126 lbs. 4 lbs is a lot to drop after moving up. Even though Donaire has fought at a lower weights right now he looks solid at FW in appearance. BTW, he was possibly a shot or two himself away from really hurting Waters. I think Donaire has/had the power to do the trick but he didn't connect clean enough.

Very dangerous fight for Frampton or anyone. Return with Rigo would also be interesting. He may decide to be a lot less cautious and patient. This could be bad for him or good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Who says this, and how is it even verifiable?

I know Kovalev has sparred both Golovkin and Povetkin and said GGG punches a lot harder. Take that whatever way you like.

magma69 wrote: »
    I know Kovalev has sparred both Golovkin and Povetkin and said GGG punches a lot harder. Take that whatever way you like.

I can take it that Povetkin is a weak hitter, or that he was just sparring and not fully committing. Or that Kovalev is telling porkies. Or that GGG is one in a million! A few ways to take it. None are verifiable to any of us.

I'd probably bet that punch for punch Povetkin would generate more power/force.

• Advertisement
Advertisement