Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi bulb not functioning

• 08-02-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Headlight buld went on the way home.
    Its an Audi A5, anyone got an idea of the cost to get it sorted and will i need to go to an Audi garage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have you got xenons? All original Irish A5 have the xenon. THey were option in UK
    Ive an A5 (with xenons) and one of my headlights went before. Audi dealer wanted 243 + vat plus fitting if you needed that.
    I eventually got a genuine philips replacement which was the same part as fitted in the factory for about €60 from germany (ebay) and fitting is an easy DIY. Lots of bulbs available much cheaper than that too but I wanted to match the light colour as good as possible and also to not have any issues with beam pattern etc that some really cheap stuff can have. IF you have xenon, the bulb is likely a D3S with 4300k intensity.
    If you dont have xenons, then it should be really cheap.

Re fitting, the entire headlight slips out without hassle meaning no messing with trying to fit the bulb in a narrow gap. 5 minute job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

mickdw wrote: »
    Have you got xenons? All original Irish A5 have the xenon. THey were option in UK
    Ive an A5 (with xenons) and one of my headlights went before. Audi dealer wanted 243 + vat plus fitting if you needed that.
    I eventually got a genuine philips replacement which was the same part as fitted in the factory for about €60 from germany (ebay) and fitting is an easy DIY. Lots of bulbs available much cheaper than that too but I wanted to match the light colour as good as possible and also to not have any issues with beam pattern etc that some really cheap stuff can have. IF you have xenon, the bulb is likely a D3S
    If you dont have xenons, then it should be really cheap.

Re fitting, the entire headlight slips out without hassle meaning no messing with trying to fit the bulb in a narrow gap. 5 minute job.

Thanks for getting back. Yes they are xenon.
    243 quid :eek: Sweet jesus. Thats ridiculous.

Now I'll be honest, im not the most handy of DIY men out there but i'll be willing to give that a try i think. I was gonna pop out to audi North Dublin tomorrow, because i seen this:

http://www.audi.ie/ie_partner/p_00124/en_home/aftersales/genuine_parts.html#source=/ie_partner/p_00124/en_home/aftersales/service/Saturday_Morning_Car_Clinic.html&container=page

They will screw you on the price of the bulb although it might be significantly less than I was quoted as mine was about 2 years back and the dealers have since copped on abit re pricing. If they sell you the bulb for 60 or so, fair enough but anything more is a rip off. Many more now on Ebay than when I was buying. Seems to be loads in uk. Motor factors would have them too but if they are different manufacturers you might want to replace both. You could possibly get them for 30 each.
    I would pull out the lamp first to see what is actually fitted.

It just noticed (now that it a bit darker) that the headlight sort of flickers a bit when I turn them on.
    Could something be loose i wonder.

Most Ive heard on the A5 have exploded leaving the bulb scattered all over the inside of the lamp.
    What I would do in your case if you are not sure of the bulb is swap them over.
    If the problem moves to the other light, its the bulb, if the problem stays, well it could be wiring or the ballast unit in that light.
    They really are easy to take out so that shouldnt put you off. You will need torx key set, that is all. 4 screws to remove plastic cover around the lock carrier, 2 or 3 bolts holding the headlight plus 1 electrical connector then it slides out. I had mine out one day in 3mins. No dealer coding or resetting if only the bulbs are changed.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Most Ive heard on the A5 have exploded leaving the bulb scattered all over the inside of the lamp.
    What I would do in your case if you are not sure of the bulb is swap them over.
    If the problem moves to the other light, its the bulb, if the problem stays, well it could be wiring or the ballast unit in that light.
    They really are easy to take out so that shouldnt put you off. You will need torx key set, that is all. 4 screws to remove plastic cover around the lock carrier, 2 or 3 bolts holding the headlight plus 1 electrical connector then it slides out. I had mine out one day in 3mins. No dealer coding or resetting if only the bulbs are changed.

Thanks.
    I'll try this tomorrow, I'll borrow a torx set off the neighbours.
    Will pop down to Audi in the morning and get them to have a wee look, i believe they'll try sort certain things for free there.

Again, appreciate you help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Audi won't sort that for free and they will charge you Audi prices for the DS bulb! I would save myself the trip and follow Micks advice.

The igniters do give trouble but usually on older cars,one of the bulbs in my S3 doesn't ignite sometimes but a quick off and on again sorts it.On my old Bora i would have to flick the headlights on and off 3 or 4 times to get both bulbs to ignite so worth trying that also.

I fear you might be told that they need to carry out a full diagnotic at €100. Then told that you need a new 'Gas discharge xenon lamp' (Bulb with )little box on the base) priced at around €250 plus at least a half hours labour to fit as its a 'major job' that requires removal of the complete headlight.
    Final bill, 300 to 400

And....If you mention buying a bulb on the net they will tell you some horror story about a single mum who bought one on the net and her car exploded!

Any update after visiting Audi?

• Advertisement

Hey.
    Sorry only seeing this now. I never got up to them on Saturday morning after all.
    Have it on good authority that Audi will be looking for 400e to sort that out.

So will try source that bulb from somewhere tomorrow and I'll get someone to fit it.

Regarding the bulb, am i safe enough going with the Philips one you suggested above?
    Are Philips stock in Audi?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hey.
    Sorry only seeing this now. I never got up to them on Saturday morning after all.
    Have it on good authority that Audi will be looking for 400e to sort that out.

So will try source that bulb from somewhere tomorrow and I'll get someone to fit it.

Regarding the bulb, am i safe enough going with the Philips one you suggested above?
    Are Philips stock in Audi?
    Yes mine was philips from the factory its a D3S 4300k. Lots of other reputable brands available but might be an idea to change bith sides if going for a different brand. Might be just as cheap as trying to source a philips if it not available locally. Its also possible that yours are not philips as audi probably used a few suppliers.

I probably will replace both bulbs. Found a place in Dublin. They're called Red Chariot. They have the d3s bulb X2 for 55e, and a few quid for fitting.
    4300k available, seems decent all things considered. Maybe too feckin cheap but I'm a skeptical son of a...

Will give them a buzz in the morning and suss them out.

Is there anything else I need to know regarding these bulbs so im not going to do myself out of money.

Just buy a brand name that you have heard of.
    And if someone goes fitting the bulb without removing the light, tell them it pops out easily.

Ok it looks like its one of these puppies i need:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Philips-D3S-XenEcoStart-Xenon-Bulb-4300K-OEM-Audi-A5-S5-2007-2012-/270875667697?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1172acf1

i've a feeling this is probably what you got??

I have someone lined up to fit it as a nixer, an Audi tech mate of a mate.

Glad you got it sorted without going near Audi :) It's advisable to change them in pairs,as the do degrade over time,you will notice a vast difference between the new and old.

tossy;83166323]Glad you got it sorted without going near Audi :) It's advisable to change them in pairs,as the do degrade over time,you will notice a vast difference between the new and old.[/Quote]
    Yep the philips one is what I got. I found no noticeable difference in mine when replacing one at about 3 years old but getting 2 branded bulbs is a good idea too.
    It is worth swapping bulb to other side to confirm that bulb is at fault. You really would have no issue going diy on it if you had an hour to spare in daylight.

I read on a forum that if there was a problem with the ballast or wiring the bulb wouldn't come on at all. Where as when I turn them on they come on for a second or two and then go.
    I'm reasonably confident its the bulb.

If there is a difference in the headlight I can get another one down the line.

Will order bulb this evening from eBay and hopefully get it fitted over the weekend.
    It's extortionate how much Audi would charge me.

It's extortionate how much Audi would charge me.

Absolute madness the dealer prices.
    There is no way it can be justified when a genuine replacement can be bought through other channels for a tiny fraction of the price.
    I got the whole sales pitch when I called audi. They would have you believe that it was some sort of special item that nobody else could possibly supply.

• Advertisement

Ordered this bulb this morning from these guys, direct from their website.
    Good communications from them too, will use them again.
    (If its ok that is)

http://www.xenons4u.co.uk/hid-xenon-bulbs/14-philips-d3s-xenon-bulb.html

Hi lads how's it going.
    Bulb arrivedyesterday and got it fitted llast night for the grand total of 100e all in.
    The lad only wanted 20 quid to fit it. 5 minute job.

The bulb is got from the UK was practically the same philips one that was in the car.

Delighted with that.

Thanks for advice.

Hi lads how's it going.
    Bulb arrivedyesterday and got it fitted llast night for the grand total of 100e all in.
    The lad only wanted 20 quid to fit it. 5 minute job.

The bulb is got from the UK was practically the same philips one that was in the car.

Delighted with that.

Thanks for advice.
    Glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Just had a quick read of this thread. I sell Philips bulbs, and I am not spamming here. There are cheaper bulbs out there, how they will last and what they will compare to the car I do not know. Philips Xenons are expensive, but they are OE on a lot of cars and most of the VAG. They do a colour-match, which allows you change one bulb and it will match the other one. Most motorfactors are able to get these and would start from around €100 + vat retail.

There are a few types of Xenon, D1, D2, D3 & D4. From this you may have either a projector or reflector system, therefore D1S, D1R D2S D22 etc. You would need to know what light system your car has. There would then be "upgrade" bulbs, Ultrablue etc. Here is a handy link to find the bulb your car needs. Click on GO under your car lamp guide.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/eco-headlights/14238/cat/

Advertisement