Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mr2 1.6 insurance for 18 male

Options
  • 14-01-2007 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I was trying to get a qoute for my dads 1989 1.6 toyota MR2 and no one will qoute me even with a full license and Im 18. I also have one year named driving experence with hibernan.

I have no problem getting qoutes for 1.9 diesel boxs ,but why is a MR2 classed so high, its hardly any faster than a mondeo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

uh its well faster, even the 1.6's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If you're on a full licence quinn will most likely qoute you on it. It shouldn't be that hard to insure, the mk1 ism't the quickest but I suppose that never makes a difference with insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As far as insurance companies are concerned the Mr2 is considered as a sports car. That and the fact your an 18 year old male usually have alarm bells ringing for them.

Alot of insurance companies also load premiums on older cars due to limited safety features and parts, etc.

If you do have a full licence then wait until your father's policy is up for renewal. This way you will be able to shop around other insurance companies for a quote. Though if you are quoted I cannot image it being cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

bazz26 wrote:
    As far as insurance companies are concerned the Mr2 is considered as a sports car. That and the fact your an 18 year old male usually have alarm bells ringing for them.

Alot of insurance companies also load premiums on older cars due to limited safety features and parts, etc.

If you do have a full licence then wait until your father's policy is up for renewal. This way you will be able to shop around other insurance companies for a quote. Though if you are quoted I cannot image it being cheap.

what he said.What a lot do is have drive any cars on there own policy and just get there parents to insure the car in there name.Then you can drive it under your own insurance as long as its not in you name have the owners permission and is insured.You could also try this get a 1litre car get insured on it and ring the insurance company telling them you have bought an mr2 and want to transfer your insurance i think by law they have to quote you for the transfer but your premium will go up a lot next year you might have to do the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dodgy enough advice there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

colm_mcm wrote:

Dodgy but I don't see any way an insurance company could prove whatever in the event of a claim, he would "just happen to be driving" his dad's car instead of his own, while his insurance would be the payer

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

utmost good faith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Paying another insurance tax etc., and having/running another car is not going to be cheap. A MR2 is RWD and mid engined. If you don't know why thats a different ball game to a mondeo, you shouldn't be driving one. No offence. :D Classic car, lovely to drive but they can bite! Which is why insurance is so high.

If I was you I'd get a cheap and cheerful 1.0 and run it for a year under your own insurance. Its a good experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Aye, they would be classed as a sports car, was on the phone to quinn direct durin the week harrasing them about ins on a 525, they told me for the 1st few years ins some are limited 100bhp cars, as i'm sure that that MR2 would be over the 100bhp limit.

P.S they are lovey little cars! Defo on the wish list!!

-VB-

ninty9er wrote:
    Dodgy but I don't see any way an insurance company could prove whatever in the event of a claim, he would "just happen to be driving" his dad's car instead of his own, while his insurance would be the payer

While the main driver's (in this case his dad) NCB is totally wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

What bhp is it anyway do any od ye know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

When new they were about 120bhp or there abouts. Lucky enough if its making near that 18 years on.

Nuttzy wrote:

112bhp afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

bazz26 wrote:
    While the main driver's (in this case his dad) NCB is totally wiped out.

it wont becuase he would be driving it under his own insurance his dad could claim for the car off him.he (dad) would get the speeding tickets tho:D
    colm_mcm wrote:

whats dodgy about it?its perfectly legal to have a drive other cars extension when he has a full licence.And its the same if your insured they have to quote you on a change of car nothing dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nuttzy wrote:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data.aspx?model=932

123 or 127 according to Parkers. That was 18 years ago though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

bazz26 wrote:
    112bhp afaik.

122 bhp. Same engine in the Corolla. 0-60 in about 8.4 or something like that. Theres also a 145bhp rare supercharger (import only). They handle like a dream. Well if you can find one that hasn't been crashed which is nigh impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alancar891

Because its a back wheel drive most insurance companies dont want lads drivin them. I cant get a qoute on a mr2 turbo off anyone even Quinn and i'm 27 male with 5yrs no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,145 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Don't revive old threads, alancar891. Please read the charter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement