Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Storyland 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hoyeean

Nicely shot and edited that Gurriers piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

High quality stuff there. Been looking at a lot of the promo's online this year. Here's my own one for our horror web series: The Final

http://vimeo.com/29050666

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Voxillary

Six years ago, Taryn Barker grabbed the hand of Detective Ray Beckett and made him promise he would find the man who murdered her sister.

It was a promise that would haunt them all the days of their life.

Now in the present day, a murder has taken place. The victim is Ben Hatcher, a 48 year old male, stabbed seven times in the chest before his head was taken. The police have one suspect: A 24 year old girl, apprehended near the scene. The suspects name is Taryn Barker.

Now Detective Beckett races to discover the truth behind this horrific act of violence. Is Taryn searching for the man who killed her sister, or does something far more terrifying lurk in the darkness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Otterfox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_LCiYHOUQ

This is our entry for Storyland 4. Its called 'Foxing Gloves' and it centres around a pair of detectives who attempt to solve the mystery surrounding the disappearance of an old hurler.

It is a comedy set in a world slightly different to our own where the strange and surreal are commonplace.

Here is the facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foxing-Gloves/243970718983041

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

Here's our promo for Student/Teacher, the story is pretty well explained in the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABd2wLheZQ4

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/studentteachershow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Here's our promo for Student/Teacher, the story is pretty well explained in the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABd2wLheZQ4

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/studentteachershow

There's a wealth of great comedy talent behind this one. I hope it gets commissioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

Galvasean wrote: »

Nice one! Congrats, and best of luck with the interviews.

Commissioned! :D

Me on the set of Hysteria - Episode 1.

387791_326943810666287_280390178654984_1267118_508719606_n.jpg

It's out in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

What are ye shooting Hysteria on?

Exar Khun wrote: »
    What are ye shooting Hysteria on?

Canon DSLRs. I forget which type as I am a sound man philistine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Cool well be of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

6517417421_015f09fb76_z.jpg

I did the stills Promos for The Begrudgers. Got me right interested in video.

Something I must look into soon!

That reminds me, the Hysteria page uploaded some more production stills recently.

387814_334070556620279_280390178654984_1292047_607648214_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Canon DSLRs. I forget which type as I am a sound man philistine.

Two 7D's and about 6 lenses.....prime and zoom.

Just over a month now until Episode 1 of Hysteria is released and the voting begins! Keep your eyes peeled between now and the 13th February for further updates and teaser trailers. You can keep up to date at the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/hysteria.storyland

388798_341779292516072_280390178654984_1320536_1855778706_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ainec

Check out our promo for The Begrudgers.

www.facebook.com/thebegrudgers

426544_357035414323793_280390178654984_1360270_222444096_n.jpg

Trailer for Hysteria episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

Anyone know the song and artist on the current RTE TV ad for Storyland?

Thanks for the entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

krafty wrote: »
    Anyone know the song and artist on the current RTE TV ad for Storyland?

Thanks for the entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 homerbert

The trailer for my entry, Trouble Times Three. It's not the greatest trailer in the world because RTE basically want it just before you deliver the actual episode, which tends to get the lions share of the love and attention. But hey, it'll give you an idea of the show before voting opens next week.

Facebook page is over here for updates, behind the scenes, etc.
    http://www.facebook.com/RTE.TroubleTimesThree

Thanks all,
    Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Animated.Anna

Loving all promos, Guys! But my favourite is that 'Cuckoo'.

Rebellious, copper-haired teenager Niamh Keegan feels like a spare part in her boring, staid family unit. When she sees a digitally ‘aged’ picture of a missing child in the newspaper that looks just like her, her imagination runs riot and she being to suspect that she and the snatched baby are one and the same... Are Niamh’s suspicions just the delusions of a disaffected teenager, or has she inadvertently stumbled on to something more sinister?

Why? Because it sounds a bit universal. Everyone at least once has felt like Niamh. Out of the context, an outsider. So it is like a quest for the personal truth...

https://www.facebook.com/cuckoo.storyland

Loving all promos, Guys! But my favourite is that 'Cuckoo'.

Rebellious, copper-haired teenager Niamh Keegan feels like a spare part in her boring, staid family unit. When she sees a digitally ‘aged’ picture of a missing child in the newspaper that looks just like her, her imagination runs riot and she being to suspect that she and the snatched baby are one and the same... Are Niamh’s suspicions just the delusions of a disaffected teenager, or has she inadvertently stumbled on to something more sinister?

Why? Because it sounds a bit universal. Everyone at least once has felt like Niamh. Out of the context, an outsider. So it is like a quest for the personal truth...

https://www.facebook.com/cuckoo.storyland

Seems that someones ripped off remade Abduction for an Irish audience.

Abduction: A thriller centered on a young man who sets out to uncover the truth about his life after finding his baby photo on a missing persons website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bulletbreaker

Abduction: A thriller centered on a young man who sets out to uncover the truth about his life after finding his baby photo on a missing persons website.

You for real Darko? You think that the abduction storyline is original? and it was only out last year, cuckoo script was probably well under way by then!!

Cuckoo looks class!!

Really impressed with alot of the entrants good job and good luck!!

You for real Darko? You think that the abduction storyline is original? and it was only out last year, cuckoo script was probably well under way by then!!

Cuckoo looks class!!

Really impressed with alot of the entrants good job and good luck!!

The central idea of Abduction is an original enough spin on a tired genre. It's about the only interesting part of the film as every other aspect is severely lacking. The similarities between Abduction's set up and basic story and Cuckoo are hard to over look, hell the plot synopsis for both is identical bar the sex of the main character and while Abduction was only released last year it was being talked about in the film magazines/websites for a year and a half before that.

A few people have commented on the similarities when we've discussed this years story land and while the makers may never have heard of Abduction the synopsis released is far too similar for anyone not to wonder if they robbed the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not too surprising really - sure last year's winner was another rerunning of the tired old 'man wakes up and owes money to gangster in Ireland' story which Perrier's Bounty had done just the year before.

Although I've yet to meet anyone who ever owed a gambling debt in Ireland to a gangster it seems to be a storyline that people insist on robbing from American low-rent crime films. In America it works a bit better because gambling is illegal in many states. Here it just makes me think - why did he borrow all that money from a gangster when Paddy Power take credit cards?

The central idea of Abduction is an original enough spin on a tired genre. It's about the only interesting part of the film as every other aspect is severely lacking. The similarities between Abduction's set up and basic story and Cuckoo are hard to over look, hell the plot synopsis for both is identical bar the sex of the main character and while Abduction was only released last year it was being talked about in the film magazines/websites for a year and a half before that.

A few people have commented on the similarities when we've discussed this years story land and while the makers may never have heard of Abduction the synopsis released is far too similar for anyone not to wonder if they robbed the idea.

Truly authentic scripts can be few and far between at times but there's a huge difference between 'robbing' an idea and thinking that something might suit an Irish audience/format. You can look at most of the entrants and come up with ' it's a bit like this or the story is similar to that' but it doesn't mean that they consciously adapted a script. So many great pieces of work could have possibly spun from other great pieces of work. All I'm saying is that thrashing someones work and making false claims that they stole an idea seems a bit harsh, imo!!

Truly authentic scripts can be few and far between at times but there's a huge difference between 'robbing' an idea and thinking that something might suit an Irish audience/format. You can look at most of the entrants and come up with ' it's a bit like this or the story is similar to that' but it doesn't mean that they consciously adapted a script. So many great pieces of work could have possibly spun from other great pieces of work. All I'm saying is that thrashing someones work and making false claims that they stole an idea seems a bit harsh, imo!!

Never trashed their idea but the similarities between both are too obvious to over look.when it happens in Hollywood everyone is only too happy to sharpen the knives and tear it apart but when it's over here it's always a case of "he was only inspired by it" or "ara sure it'll be unique as its set in Ireland". The central idea is identical and whole it's a universal theme people are going to watch Cuckoo and be reminded of just how similar the idea is.

And it's not just me, plenty of people I know involved in the industry have commented upon it. Most just let it go as story land us nothing more than the "same rehashed ideas year in year out". Watch as anyone with a bit of originality is voted out early on.

Well I hope when you see it tomorrow you are taken in by the story. Seems like a good production as are all of the other entrants. Looking forward to watching them all. Good Luck everyone!!!

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to seeing the full episodes tomorrow. While obviously I'm biased as to which is my favourite, there are a couple of others I think will be very good. I also have at least one friend involved with each and every entry so it will b very interesting indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 homerbert

Hi Guys,

The entries are up for everyone to make up their own minds on.

http://www.rte.ie/drama/featured/storyland

In my totally unbiased opinion, you should all be voting for Trouble Times Three :p

http://www.rte.ie/drama/featured/storyland/troubletimesthree.html

Thanks,
    Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I have seen so much about Hysteria on this thread I have already decided....

It looks like a rubbish lost type piece of muck and is my least favourite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Really sad that a lot of these are let down by bad/hammy acting and even worse editing.
    Hysteria and Vidileaks are the only half competent ones imo

There's a few I'd like to see more of, but a couple I could care less about. The overall quality is pretty good IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madmanmoro

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Really sad that a lot of these are let down by bad/hammy acting and even worse editing.
    Hysteria and Vidileaks are the only half competent ones imo

your dead right but theres not much more to be expected from storyland tbh

Cuckoo would have been the only one that was professional looking shot on the F3, with a pro gaffer and a lighting package from cine (while everything else was DSLR ? correct me if im wrong)

The budgets are never done properly and id be surprised to find one of the eight productions without some small form of embezzlement happening. (ie the 'Producers' having a nice big day rate while the crew gets f*** all)

And frankly I thought the Vidileaks one was very insulting to those who died and those who value this countries independence. I couldnt believe what i was seeing.

Surely im not the only one who thinks this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Some amount of vote whoring going on on fb - I see one crowd are offering a prize if they spread the poster around on fb and vote for it. Ughhhh...

Renn wrote: »
    Some amount of vote whoring going on on fb - I see one crowd are offering a prize if they spread the poster around on fb and vote for it. Ughhhh...

I got a message telling me to vote for Student Teacher. I asked why and the answer was "It's made in Galway by some Galway lads".

Have to say that I found this years selection rather poor, there are some good ideas but the acting is for the most part atrocious and when watching Cuckoo the audio seemed to be out of synch for parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's a ridiculous and unfair way to do this type of thing. All you do is cheapen genuine effort if not talent.

madmanmoro wrote: »
    Cuckoo would have been the only one that was professional looking shot on the F3, with a pro gaffer and a lighting package from cine (while everything else was DSLR ? correct me if im wrong)

Considering the budget for each episode is 8 grand or so then there's no way that anyone can produce an episode while paying full rates to everyone involved. Everything on Storyland is done on favours and promises with a small amount of cash thrown around for everything else.
    The budgets are never done properly and id be surprised to find one of the eight productions without some small form of embezzlement happening. (ie the 'Producers' having a nice big day rate while the crew gets f*** all)

I'd say you're talking through your hoop here. What 'nice big day rate' are you talking about? Have you any idea what it costs to make television at all? 8 grand for 6 minutes is nothing and I would go out on a limb and say there's feck all of the writing/directing/producing teams that are making a penny off their Storyland episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Not sure why you've gone and attributed those comments to me.

To be fair that's not the production teams fault but rather RTE's.

RTE have turned it into a vote-whoring exercise and you can't blame people for doing their best to market their series.

The public voting system nonsense lowers the bar for everything it gets involved with. All that 'X-Factor Britain's Got Ireland's Get Me Outta the Voice on Ice' type sh*te - you can hardly blame the teams taking part in it for the whole ethos of the scheme.

Not sure why you've gone and attributed those comments to me.

Something weird happened with the quote thing. Fixed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Unfortunately that's the way it's gone - it's all about vote whoring and no longer about the shows themselves! I mean Student Teacher is populated wiht half the stand up comedy scene in Ireland so they have a HUGE advantage...that's not to say it's not good.....it IS! (In a "rob sneider is a teacher...." sort of way)

I have to say (I admit I am biased because one of my mates is a part of it!) but I really do like Hysteria, interesting and fun story! and it's very well done!
    I got a message telling me to vote for Student Teacher. I asked why and the answer was "It's made in Galway by some Galway lads".

Funny that - when half the cast are Dubliners - as are the writers! :p

I'm pretty sure none of the writers of student teacher are from dublin. Actually there's only one writer isn't there? And he's from Galway I believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement