Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

@JenChang88: Fletcher at £12M-£15M+ price Wolves wanted was overpriced, but with relegation, good value around £8M. Wouldn't surprise to see him in red.

I think he's decent, needs good corners and good wingers so..................a NO. Unless we want a Carroll/Fletcher partnership.
    The Cup defiantly bought King Kenny more time IMO.

Serious questions would have to be asked if ye didn't win that, i know ye stumbled to the victory but a win is a win.

Only a point and two goals better off than last year...Anyone bar King Kenny would be scrutinized by the Liverpool faithful.

King Kenny isn't the man to take the pool any further IMO, he's a dinosaur who's out of tune with the modern game.

King Kenny is a hero to the pool fans but he wont ever get Liverpool challenging for major honors, i also doubt he'd ever be capable of getting ye a top four finish.

A dinosaur, considering his record against Chelsea...........

Was actually going to reply seriously but its a Chelsea fan giving advice on managers, the last thing we want.

Basically heed the advice, do the opposite.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

K-9 wrote: »

Was actually going to reply seriously but its a Chelsea fan giving advice on managers, the last thing we want.

Basically heed the advice, do the opposite.

I had a good cuckle at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

@JenChang88: Fletcher at £12M-£15M+ price Wolves wanted was overpriced, but with relegation, good value around £8M. Wouldn't surprise to see him in red.

Good grief... is this the level of player we're looking at to push on? We'll be in the same situation next year if thats the case. The club really needs to take a look at itself if signing average British players continues to be the modus operandi in transfer windows. We're already overstocked on them at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have to disagree about dissing Fletcher as I said earlier today he is what Carroll should be, a scruffy goal scorer. Every team needs one and Dirk Kuyt won't be here forever! 8 million would be a good buy just have to find a buyer for Andy. Matt Jarvis likewise, assists and goals from out wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

aaronh007 wrote: »

Good grief... is this the level of player we're looking at to push on? We'll be in the same situation next year if thats the case. The club really needs to take a look at itself if signing average British players continues to be the modus operandi in transfer windows. We're already overstocked on them at this stage.

Eh, I know it aint sexy but I given up all hope of us signing an aguero or mata or silva...

God damit I was so gutted when City signed Aguero. What kinda of bezzie is Maxi eh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Have to disagree about dissing Fletcher as I said earlier today he is what Carroll should be, a scruffy goal scorer. Every team needs one and Dirk Kuyt won't be here forever! 8 million would be a good buy just have to find a buyer for Andy. Matt Jarvis likewise, assists and goals from out wide.

Almost depressing to see someone say that the player that Andy Carroll should be, would be a good buy at £8m.:(

It is almost like saying the club spent £35m on a player that looked like he could be as good as Fletcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When I made the earlier mention of Fletcher it prompted me to think back to Carrolls signing and just why the fvck it happened and no still I can't see what prompted the rush to spend the Torres cheque.

Eh, I know it aint sexy but I given up all hope of us signing an aguero or mata or silva...

God damit I was so gutted when City signed Aguero. What kinda of bezzie is Maxi eh!!!!

There is a chasm in quality between Fletcher and an Aguero. There is also a number of better options than Fletcher without having to resort to a £30/40 million player that would be out of our reach at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭CSF

mixednuts wrote: »
    And ? .. Your point
    Point is simple. With Gerrard, Liverpool would have been much less likely to lose that game. Talking about how better things were without Gerrard in a game you lost at home makes no sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

downing.jpg

That's kinda funny,! Considering i see two hands above his :P

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Point is simple. With Gerrard, Liverpool would have been much less likely to lose that game. Talking about how better things were without Gerrard in a game you lost at home makes no sense.

We've not won with Gerrard in the team in the 6 games he's started since his comeback from injury. No doubt he would've made more use of the ball than Adam, but I don't think he'd have added much. Even his finishing has been exceptionally poor this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

aaronh007 wrote: »
    We've not won with Gerrard in the team in the 6 games he's started since his comeback from injury. No doubt he would've made more use of the ball than Adam, but I don't think he'd have added much. Even his finishing has been exceptionally poor this year.

His long range shooting has been hot garbage, sure, but has he had much finishing to do? I remember one beauty against Newcastle but not many other chances from inside the box.

On fletcher, a perfect backup signing if the 35m quid spent on Carroll had been spent on a 35m quid player (or spending a bit less but making the difference up in a higher wage).
    Having good local players happy to be at a big club, happy to not play all the time but being of decent quality is important. For that to be relevant you need superstars keeping them out of the team.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

K-9 wrote: »

We've still the best run in of all the top 7 but 4th just aint going to happen and I don't think anybody, including the team or management believe so.

Que? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jank wrote: »
    Que? :confused:

Premier League site has all the fixtures. Copyright and all that.

Do outline any relevant issues.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Pretty sickening result at the weekend - what made it worse that Arsenal were pretty poor as well.

2 well taken but very soft goals were the only difference. Btw - did anyone else think Reina could have done a lot better with the second goal? Seemed to be rooted to the line - if he'd advanced a yard or two it would have given Van Persie a very small area to aim at. Anyway, random potential goalkeeping mistakes are the least of our problems at the moment.

- Our lack of potency from set pieces is astonishing at this stage - that amount of missed penalties, shanked free-kicks and wasted corners is beyond the realms of bad luck.

- As ever, our inability to take relatively easy chances cost us dear. Kelly and Suarez were the obvious culprits against Arsenal. Again, I would say that the level of profligacy in front of goal this season is beyond bad luck. The lack of confidence in front of goal is running deep throughout the entire team.

- Adam and Spearing are nowhere near good enough for the level that LFC is aspiring to. In fairness to both of them, I think they are playing to the maximum of their potential but it's just not good enough. Talk of us signing more players from relegation fodder teams like Wolves fills me with dread.

- Suarez looks to be losing interest. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the summer. Leaving the controversy, bans etc. to one side, he's been pretty poor on the pitch for us this season.

- The game was crying out for a substitute from 60 mins on ; can't understand why Kenny waited until injury time to make a change.

It's hard to know where this team is going at this stage - are we just a couple of signings and a decent striker away from being very good? or are we on a downward spiral with a team packed with ageing and mediocre players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Pretty sickening result at the weekend - what made it worse that Arsenal were pretty poor as well.

2 well taken but very soft goals were the only difference. Btw - did anyone else think Reina could have done a lot better with the second goal? Seemed to be rooted to the line - if he'd advanced a yard or two it would have given Van Persie a very small area to aim at. Anyway, random potential goalkeeping mistakes are the least of our problems at the moment.

- Our lack of potency from set pieces is astonishing at this stage - that amount of missed penalties, shanked free-kicks and wasted corners is beyond the realms of bad luck.

- As ever, our inability to take relatively easy chances cost us dear. Kelly and Suarez were the obvious culprits against Arsenal. Again, I would say that the level of profligacy in front of goal this season is beyond bad luck. The lack of confidence in front of goal is running deep throughout the entire team.

- Adam and Spearing are nowhere near good enough for the level that LFC is aspiring to. In fairness to both of them, I think they are playing to the maximum of their potential but it's just not good enough. Talk of us signing more players from relegation fodder teams like Wolves fills me with dread.

- Suarez looks to be losing interest. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the summer. Leaving the controversy, bans etc. to one side, he's been pretty poor on the pitch for us this season.

- The game was crying out for a substitute from 60 mins on ; can't understand why Kenny waited until injury time to make a change.

It's hard to know where this team is going at this stage - are we just a couple of signings and a decent striker away from being very good? or are we on a downward spiral with a team packed with ageing and mediocre players?

I agree with all your points .

On the last paragraph;I would like to see a marquee striker added to our current squad and then see how we/Kenny gets on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

mixednuts wrote: »
    I agree with all your points .

On the last paragraph;I would like to see a marquee striker added to our current squad and then see how we/Kenny gets on .
    Wasn't Carroll meant to be the "marguee striker"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

kippy wrote: »

And Suarez. Its not like we are not creating chances, we just cant score. The report after the Carling Cup final showed we had 39 attempts at goal, and we scored 2. Its a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I was just thinking this morning what Damien Camolli's function at the club is. I know he is director of football but I thought he would be saving us money in the transfer market by unearthing some hidden talent from mainland Europe. Sebastian Coates is the only player that has come in that I did not know a whole lot about before he signed.
    We have stooped pretty low hoping we can sign the likes of Steven Fletcher in the summer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

kippy wrote: »

No, who ever said that?

Carroll was the "****, we need to get a bloody striker in in the next couple of days as we've just lost Torres" striker.

I'd sooner lose Carroll and Adam (I'd keep Henderson and Downing for the squad) and give Dalglish another transfer window with invested funds, than lose Dalglish.

There really are some nutty things being said at the moment.

He brought us our first silverware in 6 years. If I lived in the same black and white world of football that some of you seem to live in, it would drive me ****ing spare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

or are we on a downward spiral with a team packed with ageing and mediocre players?

I wouldn't agree with the aging. Our best players are Lucas(25), Skretl(27), Reina(29), Suarez(25). I might as well get it out of the way now but it's time to move on from Agger. We should try and sell him in the summer if we can and even if we don't another centre back is now a huge priority. Bellamy and Gerrard are the our two best aging players and tbh Gerrard has dropped down the list of important players/players who'd be first on the team sheet at this stage. We do have a bit to much mediocrity though - Downing, Adam and Carroll should be no where near a starting 11 for a side with top 4 side ambitions. However we have some decent players up and coming and solid squad members - Henderson, Spearing, Kelly and a lot of younger players who have potential.

spockety wrote: »
    No, who ever said that?

Carroll was the "****, we need to get a bloody striker in in the next couple of days as we've just lost Torres" striker.

So lets spend £35m on a player who's injured and who we have no idea when he will be fight. Great Logic there. That's before even getting into the fact he's not very good in the first place :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I wouldn't agree with the aging. Our best players are Lucas(25), Skretl(27), Reina(29), Suarez(25). I might as well get it out of the way now but it's time to move on from Agger. We should try and sell him in the summer if we can and even if we don't another centre back is now a huge priority. Bellamy and Gerrard are the our two best aging players and tbh Gerrard has dropped down the list of important players/players who'd be first on the team sheet at this stage. We do have a bit to much mediocrity though - Downing, Adam and Carroll should be no where near a starting 11 for a side with top 4 side ambitions. However we have some decent players up and coming and solid squad members - Henderson, Spearing, Kelly and a lot of younger players who have potential.

Ok..the aging thing might have been a bit harsh i guess.... I was referring mainly to Carra, Gerrard and Kuyt. Great players/legends/servants at their peak but time to start looking seriously at other options. Coates must be give some game time this season - we have nothing to lose at this stage...finishing above/below Norwich/Sunderland/WBA/Newcastle is pretty much meaningless.

I'd like to see Kelly given a proper chance too - I reckon he could be a legend in the making if he's handled properly.

Henderson has potential too I think but Spearing is limited at this level. He's honest and hard-working but I've never seen anything in him beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

So lets spend £35m on a player who's injured and who we have no idea when he will be fight. Great Logic there. That's before even getting into the fact he's not very good in the first place :pac:

Chucky, I'm pretty sure this has been explained a million times before, but since you seem so determined to be blinkered, I'll state it again.

Torres got sold. We had no first team striker. We needed to buy, with mere hours to go, which restricted who we bought for a number of reasons.

1. Time/distance - we needed a player based in England so we could get them across and do the necessary signing etc before the windows closed.
    2. Availability. We needed a player that we COULD buy.
    3. We had 50m to spend. We just got that from the Torres sale, so it really didn't matter how much of it we spent, we needed a striker on the books.

Carroll ticked all of those boxes, but sure, we threw a lot of cash at him to ensure the deal got done.

It really bemuses me why people still bring the Carroll transfer into a debate - its been done a zillion times at this stage, and is really of no consequence any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,496 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Chucky, I'm pretty sure this has been explained a million times before, but since you seem so determined to be blinkered, I'll state it again.

Torres got sold. We had no first team striker. We needed to buy, with mere hours to go, which restricted who we bought for a number of reasons.

1. Time/distance - we needed a player based in England so we could get them across and do the necessary signing etc before the windows closed.
    3. We had 50m to spend. We just got that from the Torres sale, so it really didn't matter how much of it we spent, we needed a striker on the books.

Carroll ticked all of those boxes, but sure, we threw a lot of cash at him to ensure the deal got done.

It really bemuses me why people still bring the Carroll transfer into a debate - its been done a zillion times at this stage, and is really of no consequence any more.

Your argument seems to be "the signing was stupid but we had no choice but to be stupid".

It has been done a zillion times but why are you making an attempt to justify it?

I dont see why we couldn't have held onto the 35m until the summer. We had nothing serious to play for and Suarez, Kuyt and Gerrard could have filled the void until the summer window.

One has to ask how crazy a transfer "policy" that is however?
    What do you mean the Carroll transfer is of "no consequence" any more?

His transfer is of major consequence. Any player you spend 35 million pounds on (no matter where that money came from) is going to be of major consequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

AFAIR, the transfer window when Carroll arrived was the last before the FFP rules kicked in so the last opportunity to splash cash without any consequences under FFP.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

not disputing your point but the reason it keeps getting brought up is it hangs like a millstone around the the club. we would have been better off, and i mean faaar better off not buying anyone. we spent in a panic for the sake of two goals in one game last season? having a striker on the books who wasnt on the pitch is pretty pointless.

and i know, hindsight is twenty twenty vision, but i dont think there was a single person who thought signing caroll was a good idea. and its worrying that commoli and kenny did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ok..the aging thing might have been a bit harsh i guess.... I was referring mainly to Carra, Gerrard and Kuyt. Great players/legends/servants at their peak but time to start looking seriously at other options. Coates must be give some game time this season - we have nothing to lose at this stage...finishing above/below Norwich/Sunderland/WBA/Newcastle is pretty much meaningless.

I'd like to see Kelly given a proper chance too - I reckon he could be a legend in the making if he's handled properly.

Henderson has potential too I think but Spearing is limited at this level. He's honest and hard-working but I've never seen anything in him beyond that.

I disgaree with finsihing above our below being meaningless. There is a massive difference between finishing 5th or 6th and 10th or worse. I agree with most of the other stuff though, Gerrard, carragher and Kuyt can not be relied on anymore. In saying that I think Spearing fine as a squad player. I'd have no problem playing him in the lower matches against the weaker teams in the league at home and in all cup games just to give Lucas a rest every so often.

It has been explained a million times more, and it's still laughable how people peddle the retarded bull**** about how we NEEDED to buy someone to replace Torres for 6 months so lets spent £35m on him. If we needed a first team striker so desperately why did we sign a guy who was out for a month and still had big question marks over when he would eventually be fit?

Daemonic wrote: »
    AFAIR, the transfer window when Carroll arrived was the last before the FFP rules kicked in so the last opportunity to splash cash without any consequences under FFP.
    That's just a crazy excuse, is it not?

Anyway, I'll move on from Carroll (I brought it up as a poster had wondered what would happen if Liverpool brought in a Marquee signing, I would assume that is what you would expect from 35 million pounds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i was numbed by that result on Saturday.

as an Arsenal fan said to me immediately after the game, if we had VP in our team, we'd have won that 7-0. our problems in front of goal are very very serious at this stage. it's not a blip. it's not a case of the "goals eventually coming". it's a full blown problem.

the encouraging part of Saturday was that we created clear cut chances. contrary to what many believe, we don't create as much as we did on Saturday on that regular a basis. we were excellent. Henderson looked a player. Suarez was elusive. Spearing was composed for the most part. Kuyt showed energy and plenty of neat touches. Downing, particularly first half, continued to look like something resembling the player we bought. and Skrtel continues to be simply brilliant.

on the downside, Adam was atrocious. and that's kind. his long passing was abysmal, and that lack of vision to put in Henderson summed him up. pathetic. it was either greedy, or it was useless, one or the other.

back to the goalscoring issue...someone, or some players, need to really take on some responsibility for this. they need to get their finger out. Suarez, as good as he usually looks, has a meager return for someone of his talent. Our midfield never look like scoring.

and Andy Carroll, well, I'm convinced Kenny has no idea what he's doing with him. he got a run in the side, looked pretty good despite not being prolific (who is at the club?), and now seems to be out of the team. the team must be getting slightly confused at this rate, because even though we look more fluid with Kuyt and Suarez in tandem, you just know Carroll will be back in the team for a game or 2 coming up, and we'll have to change our style again to suit him.

i'm getting worried Kenny doesn't see a lot of the issues, but maybe more worrying, that he may see them, but does not know how to address them. we are getting to the stage where IMO, yes, we have a trophy, and that's great, but the team is not fulfilling what it should be league-wise (which is the bread and butter), that we've spent a lot of money doing so, and what have we got?

Adam - shíte.
    Downing - very overpriced, and half-decent, just starting to show something.
    Henderson - has something about him, but is still very much potential.
    Carroll - waaay overpriced, and at best a decent target-man and striker.
    Bellamy - a fantastic squad player whose made impact.

Kenny will be given the next window and until January I reckon. and he should be. but, if we have another window of underwhelming signings for big money, then sorry, Kenny should then be asked to step aside or upstairs.

his ability to change a game at the right time has to be brought into question now too. Saturday in particular was a poor performance from him. i know you can't compensate for hitting the post twice, and Kelly missing a sitter, but this sort of shít is happening too often for it to be coincidence.

anyway, sorry...

/rant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement