Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rural transport - the "secret" existing network [Zombie thread]

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    JustMary wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing them try to integrate the "ring up the night before and we'll pick you up at home" services with scheduled school runs.

I was quite surprised at how many of these there are in Galway, and how hard it was to track down information about them.

Some of the rural transport people do charge a fee - except that I suspect most of the passengers will qualify for a free travel pass.
    Most of those services are the only means elderly and disabled people have of getting out to a town to do a bit of shopping for a few hours or even go to the library to return books maybe once or twice a week.

As you mentioned if those people choose to live in the sticks then they should make their own arrangements .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

parsi wrote: »
    As you mentioned if those people choose to live in the sticks then they should make their own arrangements .
    Most of these people have lived there all their lives and did not chose to move to or build a house miles from the nearest town and essential amenities. When people are disabled or get old they are often not able to drive and rely on the services provided by rural transport schemes like "ring-a-link" "town-link" etc most rural areas are covered all at relatively little cost due to the operators knowing how many passengers they will have for most journeys and using appropriate sizes of bus and mini-bus.

Ah. Your earlier posts suggested that your objections were based on infection control and child protection issues.

How far from Cork or Dublin do you think we should state that "the sticks" begin ? Would - for instance - Carlow be considered to be the sticks in terms of travelling to Dublin ?
    Would you like your children sitting next to a convicted rapist or child killer on the bus to school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Would you like your children sitting next to a convicted rapist or child killer on the bus to school?
    foggy - you haven't answered why if this is so likely that urban kids don't get picked up by similar buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    But more than ANYTHING else I am sick of thick cu*ts like Chris Andrews and his acolytes arguing that the subsidy of transport is a ''rural' thing ...when it is not .
    Whatever one thinks of Mr. Andrews, can we refrain from such comments?
    Can you ease off on such comments?

The greatest quantity of threat to school children probably comes from the class bully and general horseplay. The most substantial threats come from family members and authority figures known to the child. Having additional adults present on the bus probably makes things safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There is also a child protection issue here, All bus drivers must be Gardai vetted before driving school buses AFAIK so are all the extra passengers going to be Gardai vetted? School buses are exactly that to segregate and protect children on their way to and from school, this is for their protection

A bit hysterical

How do the children using Bus Éireann in Galway and Cork or Dublin Bus manage so?

And if I had a conviction I'd choose to live in a city anyway as you can be a lot more anonymous then somewhere where everyone knows everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'd normally agree with this sentiment. However, a relative did a study of rural transport schemes in West Cork a couple of years back as part of a college course. She found that those using the schemes for the most part really were the old, disabled etc. She interviewed many of them and it appears that the "this is their only chance to get out of the house" maxim really is the truth, and most would never get out of the house if not for these schemes. I also believe that the cost involved is pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd normally agree with this sentiment. However, a relative did a study of rural transport schemes in West Cork a couple of years back as part of a college course. She found that those using the schemes for the most part really were the old, disabled etc. She interviewed many of them and it appears that the "this is their only chance to get out of the house" maxim really is the truth, and most would never get out of the house if not for these schemes. I also believe that the cost involved is pretty low.
    Surely these people would be better off in a village or sheltered housing environment?

Victor wrote: »
    Surely these people would be better off in a village or sheltered housing environment?
    Most have lived in the houses all their lives and should not be expected to move into some sheltered housing scheme or village leaving the houses many of them were born in, now that they are a bit older, what is wrong with looking after the elderly like they have looked after Ireland paying massive taxes all their lives, working on farms and in jobs where health and safety just meant the boss had to report your death if you were killed on the job, these people are the reason we all have so much today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

these people are the reason we all have so much
    today!

I think it was joining the EU and the massive grants that came with that that actually got us to the level of a first-world country, not anything our old folks did back in their day out in the sticks.

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    I think it was joining the EU and the massive grants that came with that that actually got us to the level of a first-world country, not anything our old folks did back in their day out in the sticks.
    So them paying massive taxes and living hand to mouth most of their lives has nothing to do with how well people have it today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most of those services are the only means elderly and disabled people have of getting out to a town to do a bit of shopping for a few hours or even go to the library to return books maybe once or twice a week.

I'm not criticising the services as such - just commenting that they're not a good fit with getting other people to places at scheduled times. I can see opportunites to use the same vehicles / drivers, though, and that this could both save cash AND provided better services overall.

Gotta wonder though - how do the users get their groceries? How do they get to Mass ('cos 99% of them go go). Etc.

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm not criticising the services as such - just commenting that they're not a good fit with getting other people to places at scheduled times. I can see opportunites to use the same vehicles / drivers, though, and that this could both save cash AND provided better services overall.

Gotta wonder though - how do the users get their groceries? How do they get to Mass ('cos 99% of them go go). Etc.
    I agree with what you had posted and as for getting groceries and mass etc often family members are available to bring elderly relatives to mass or shopping when going themselves but would be working or busy at other times of the week so would not have the opportunity to drop an elderly or disabled person to a day care centre or other facility daily or a few times a week, many people rely on the Ring-a-Link services for trips to their doctors surgery for prescriptions etc.

We must decide how important Quality of life is for the elderly in our lives but be aware that when we become dependant on others we may not recieve the same levels of treatment especially if we start the levels on a downward spiral!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    So them paying massive taxes and living hand to mouth most of their lives has nothing to do with how well people have it today?

Broadly speaking if they were loving hand to mouth they wouldn't have paid much tax.

Of course by your own reckoning some of them are convicted child rapists and murderers so they won't have paid any tax during their spells inside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Its very difficult to work out what the cost of running the service is.
    There a number of annual reports on the Pobail website, but very vague on costs.

The news reported Alan Kelly saying he questioned the sense of leaving school buses parked for 5 or 6 hours a day.

I dont recall any talk of integrating the service with the school transportation scheduled services justice using the vehicles more during the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement