Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McClean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

He should be given a chance in the friendlies, I've been impressed with his strength and direct approach. He is very raw though but that can be worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

dubmick wrote: »
    He is very raw though but that can be worked on.

Can you explain this to me.

In what way is he very raw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

monkey9 wrote: »
    He's already done more than i've ever seen McGeady do!

And you watch a lot of russian football do you and were a regular follower of the spl?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

monkey9 wrote: »
    Soups123 wrote: »
    He's played a few weeks in Prem under oNeill, no where near deserving of a place in Euro squad

He's already done more than i've ever seen McGeady do!
    No chance, seriously dont understand how someone with a knowledge of football can come to this conclusion. The lads had a good few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I don't think McClean will make Trap's Euro squad unfortunately.

If we assume the makeup is 7 defenders, 8 midfielders and 5 forwards - and no injuries, then that 8th midfielder spot will be taken by either Fahey or Coleman for their versatility I reckon.

Whelan, Andrews, McCarthy, Gibson, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey/Coleman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Vokes wrote: »
    I don't think McClean will make Trap's Euro squad unfortunately.

If we assume the makeup is 7 defenders, 8 midfielders and 5 forwards - and no injuries, then that 8th midfielder spot will be taken by either Fahey or Coleman for their versatility I reckon.

Whelan, Andrews, McCarthy, Gibson, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey/Coleman.

I wouldn't have Gibson or McCarthy as sure things yet. Just as McClean has to prove himself for a bit longer so has Gibson. The very low transfer fee he commanded in a very high price market says something. McCarthy is not developing as well as people hoped either. My guess is that Fahey is already on the plane.

As for McClean he needs to keep it going for a few more months but I think he will and could be worth a punt for Polkraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

See I think that Trap considers Gibson and McCarthy as his backup CMs for Andrews and Whelan - I could well be wrong with this. Trap seems to select Gibson regardless of club playing time or form. And McCarthy has been progressing very well with Wigan these past few months. I really don't think McClean has a chance at all with one or both of Fahey / Coleman in his way, unless either suffer a serious injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Keogh probably won't make the squad, as we're almost certainly only going to take 4 wingers (Duff, McGeady, Hunt and Coleman). McClean is going to have to displace one of those guys if he's to make it to Poland.

4k9o5l.png

No Pilkington ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

One for the future no doubt. Seems like a tidy little player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

And you watch a lot of russian football do you and were a regular follower of the spl?

As much and probably more than the Trap does. I've seen plenty of McClean in the LOI which is of a similar standard to the SPL, bar the top two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

No chance, seriously dont understand how someone with a knowledge of football can come to this conclusion. The lads had a good few weeks

He's been playing senior football a couple of years now not just in the last few weeks.

Or does LOI not count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Does he pronounce his name as McClane or is that something the English have made up? They were calling him it on Premier Soccer Saturday last night anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He's been playing senior football a couple of years now not just in the last few weeks.

Or does LOI not count.

Why even bother at this stage?

Weirdly enough it appears to be one or two of the worst anti-LOI tits that are now singing the praises of a player that was playing here only 6 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Liam O wrote: »
    Does he pronounce his name as McClane or is that something the English have made up? They were calling him it on Premier Soccer Saturday last night anyway...

It's pronounced 'McLeen'. TBH, I wouldn't watch PSS if Paris Hilton and Rihanna were scissoring each other on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

BOHtox wrote: »
    It's pronounced 'McLeen'. TBH, I wouldn't watch PSS if Paris Hilton and Rihanna scissoring each other

According to the man himself, it's McClane.

According to the man himself, it's McClane.

Really? where'd he say that?

i don't have twitter. what's it say?

i don't have twitter. what's it say?

That his name is pronounced like 'McClane'.

That his name is pronounced like 'McClane'.

fair enough. I know he's from the north but I though Irish people pronounce it mcleen and the English mclane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

Or does LOI not count.

LOI counts as football but not at a standard that can support the national team. I'm not looking to knock the league just being realistic.

I'm not knocking the lad either think he has the potential to do well but the Euro's are too soon, personally I like the idea of a couple of young fearless form players in the squad, but with can't see it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

fair enough. I know he's from the north but I though Irish people pronounce it mcleen and the English mclane

If you pronounced it with his accent, it comes out as McClane, still McClean for me :D

If you pronounced it with his accent, it comes out as McClane, still McClean for me :D

MNS once did an interview with him and I only understood around every 5th word. McLean for me. Let me demonstate

John McClane - McLayne
    Die%20Hard%20With%20A%20Vengeance1.jpg

James McLean - McLeen
    3999212152.jpg

MNS once did an interview with him and I only understood around every 5th word.

Reminds me of that famous broadcast during the troubles. A guy from Strabane or somewhere like that was talking and they had to subtitle him even though the programme was English or Irish. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The insufferable Colim Murray called McLean 'Northern Irish' the other day.

McLean tweeted the following response to him:

JMcC_23 James Mc Clean

Colin murray get it right will you its #irish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Can open, worms everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

He doesn't do things by the book, but he gets results!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Could Hunt's posistion in the squad genuinely be up for grabs?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16909171

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

darkman2 wrote: »
    Could Hunt's in the squad posistion genuinely be up for grabs?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16909171

It should be. He isn't first choice for Wolves, who are struggling in and around the relegation zone while McClean is one of the star players in a team who have been flying since the new year.

• Advertisement

The insufferable Colim Murray called McLean 'Northern Irish' the other day.

McLean tweeted the following response to him:

JMcC_23 James Mc Clean

Colin murray get it right will you its #irish

Possibility of this post being thanked by users with bhoy in username: high.

Advertisement