Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Out of interest did Capello have a definite first choice XI during his time with England (eg the way the Ireland team is pretty much picks itself)?

I realise because of the new manager there's speculation about which players will make the squad but it seemed to me that there was always many many players in contention for England call-ups at any given time rather than a settled 23 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Walker will be in team nevermind the squad
    Richards isnt first choice for city anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

when you the england squad on paper, you realise how limited it is.

as a united fan, if it comes down to chris smalling v phil jones, i would expect smalling to be picked, as he is a far superior defender and overall a much better footballer.

rio ferdinand will be in the squad if fit and him and terry will start their first game. a bit surprised to see virtually nobody pick carrick who has been excellent for united this year,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

as a united fan, if it comes down to chris smalling v phil jones, i would expect smalling to be picked, as he is a far superior defender and overall a much better footballer.

rio ferdinand will be in the squad if fit and him and terry will start their first game. a bit surprised to see virtually nobody pick carrick who has been excellent for united this year,
    Aye Carrick deserves to be pick after a great season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Carrick is missing the key attribute for international games - reaction under pressure. England will come under lots of pressure and pressing, and Carrick is unsuited to that. Pity as much of the rest of his game is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

He won't make it either way as Parker is perceived as a guaranteed starter and will probably get the captaincy which is a poor decision imo.

Also, I'd play Barry over Carrick any day and as he played throughout qualification and as his form has been very good for City recently. If Capello was in charge no way Rio would make it. It now seems the only way that Rio won't start is if he chooses not to himself! Though I'd have Lescott in. Thought he was poor last year has improved in leaps and bounds this season.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Walker will be in team nevermind the squad
    Richards isnt first choice for city anymore

It's cos he was injured and Zabaleta did so well in his absence they couldn't drop him when Richards returned (United last week). Richards is still City's first choice right back strictly speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Heskey and michael owen before they retire. Before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, P Jones
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Ashley Cole
    Leighton Baines
    Micah Richards
    Chris Smalling (cover RB and CB)
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Gary Cahill
    Kyle Walker
    THFC wrote: »
    Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, K Walker

All leaving out the best performing English centre half this season, for shame.

At least someone's on the ball.
    cgpg5 wrote: »
    Can't see how people are leaving out Lescott, should be in the team by rights in my view

^^^ Correct

• Advertisement

If Terry or Cahill is injured then I wouldn't take the other one, and Lescott would start. As it is, I think the value of such a partnership (And with Cole too) takes priority, and there's no way Smalling's not going. And I'm only taking 3 CB. (Jones as well but as a utility man).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

2 questions.
    When is Roy naming his squad and is it likely he'll name a new captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What planet are people living on when they think Phil Jones should be anywhere near the England Euro 2012 squad?

Seriously, he has been a liability since christmas, and the fact that his name is still being touted around is solely due to all this "rah rah we love players with passion" crap that has served England so well over the years.

Smalling is twice the defender Jones is, and judging by performances probably a better midfielder as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Most squads here contain 4 strikers. The ROI squad announced last week contains 5 iirc. Is England definitly only bringing 4 not 5, and why is this as Rooney is missing for 2 of their 3 group games?

What planet are people living on when they think Phil Jones should be anywhere near the England Euro 2012 squad?

Seriously, he has been a liability since christmas, and the fact that his name is still being touted around is solely due to all this "rah rah we love players with passion" crap that has served England so well over the years.

Smalling is twice the defender Jones is, and judging by performances probably a better midfielder as well.

I don't advocate playing Jones. I want a relatively competent defence/midfield utility player as cover, and Jones is the best England offer.

G.K. wrote: »
    I don't advocate playing Jones. I want a relatively competent defence/midfield utility player as cover, and Jones is the best England offer.

If Jones is the best England offer they should stay at home and eat some mushy peas. Bringing a completely out of form 20 year old just to fill some championship manager style defender/midfielder/left/right/centre role is a waste of a slot.

I am serious when I say Smalling could fulfill any role better than Jones, and not only that, if you want a Utility player, then England would actually be better off bringing Carrick as cover for both midfield and defense, he has shown to be a better defender than Jones is a midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

I'd think he will run with

Hart, Green, Foster(he will make himself available)

Johnson, Richards, Cole Baines, Lescott, Smalling, Cahill, Rio/Terry

Gerrard, Lampard, Parker, Barry, Johnson, Lennon, Young, Milner

Rooney, Zamora, Welbeck, Crouch

Not neccesarily who i'd bring though

syngindub wrote: »
    2 questions.
    When is Roy naming his squad and is it likely he'll name a new captain?

1) 14th May
    2) It will be either Gerrard or Parker, more likely the former

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm very surprised by Lescott not making most people's squad. He's our finest central defender by a mile nowadays.

Jones is superior to Carrick in the international game.

Based on what, a bunch of signatures in the United thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Walker will not go, no way. Baines & Cole cover the 2 left back spots, Richards and maybe Johnson cover the two right backs?

I think Smalling has been brilliant this season. He's gonna be one of the best in the league in a couple of seasons.

He could only bring one right back but bring smalling as he can play centre and right back.

Hodgson has a lot of experience and I think he'll go for the experience this summer. Ferdy, Terry, Lescott & Cahill will probably go.

So far

Richards
    Smalling
    Cahill
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Lescott
    Baines
    Cole

Strikers then

Rooney
    Crouch
    Welbeck
    Defoe or AN Other

Midfield is tough to call

Young
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Andrew Johnson
    Walcott
    Parker
    Barry
    Walcott

Milner & Lennon could have a case, Milner will probably go as he's played in major tournaments before.

IMO Lampard shouldn't go, in fact I think Gerrard and Lampard aren't beneficial to England any more :( But they won't be dropped.

Do I have to go over Carrick's unsutiability for international football (In my opinion anyway) again...

Do I have to go over Carrick's unsutiability for international football (In my opinion anyway) again...

On the contrary, I am asking you to comment on Jones suitability...

Why have you begun posting such short comments since becoming a mod? :(

Samich wrote: »
    Why have you begun posting such short comments since becoming a mod? :(

Coincedence - I don't have as much time at the moment, what with my AS exams just about the corner. As soon as they are over, which is the end of the month, I'll be back to my long winded, blogging self.

Coincedence - I don't have as much time at the moment, what with my AS exams just about the corner. As soon as they are over, which is the end of the month, I'll be back to my long winded, blogging self.

Good man! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Do I have to go over Carricks unsuitability for any type of high level football, just don't understand how he gets away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I wreckon Carroll has played his way into the squad with his recent form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭event

he'll take 5 strikers, id say near definitely.
    if he only takes 4, for the first 2 games he has 3 strikers. if one gets injured, he has no other options up front.

cant see him bringing 8 defenders either. he will take 7, probably richards, johnson, rio, terry, cahill, cole, lescott( can play lb and cb)

Well rumours are that Roy is going to make his first stupid call and leave out JT. First of all stripping him of the captaincy was bad enough, but dropping him altogether? Along with Lescott he should be in the team and his leadership has been top notch for England for the best part of 8 years. But the main question here is what happened to innocent until proven guilty? Terry might be an insufferable person to many but surely this is completely unfair. Now putting the trial after the Euros seems to have been for nothing.

From what I can understand though is Roy doesn't want him to be in the same squad as a guy who shouldn't be on the plane, and wouldn't be if Capello was still in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Well looks like Roy is going to make his first stupid call and leave out JT. First of all stripping him of the captaincy was bad enough, but dropping him altogether? Along with Lescott he should be in the team and his leadership has been top notch for England for the best part of 8 years. But the main question here is what happened to innocent until proven guilty? Terry might be an insufferable person to many but surely this is completely unfair. Now putting the trial after the Euros seems to have been for nothing.

From what I can understand though is Roy doesn't want him to be in the same squad as a guy who shouldn't be on the plane, and wouldn't be if Capello was still in charge.

Have you a source for this? I don't think anyone wants to start a debate over JT but John Terry got himself into this situation and if the reason for his possible exclusion is that his impending trial will be hanging over the team and could cause unrest etc then i can understand it. The harmony of the squad and the team's cause has to come first.

Have you a source for this? I don't think anyone wants to start a debate over JT but John Terry got himself into this situation and if the reason for his possible exclusion is that his impending trial will be hanging over the team and could cause unrest etc then i can understand it. The harmony of the squad and the team's cause has to come first.

Will see on Monday when the squad is picked. Roy has a big call to make so early in his tenure I'd imagine he'll be pasted either way by the tabloids

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Johnson,Cole, Baines, Lescott, Smalling, Cahill, Terry

Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge, Crouch

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lennon stretches the pitch horizontally, Walcott stretches it vertically, and for me, Walcott knows how to use his pace better (and is a much cleaner striker of the ball) which is reflected in Walcott having 35-odd league goals or assists in the last two seasons as opposed to Lennon's 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If I was Grant Holt and Andy Carroll got a call up ahead of me, I'd be rightly pissed off.

Carroll's performed well in the last two games but overall Holt has been the more consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Rickie Lambert is a far, far better striker than Grant Holt will ever be.

Smalling ruled out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

slingerz wrote: »

Johnson,Cole, Baines, Lescott, Smalling, Cahill, Terry

Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge, Crouch

No room for Micah Richards or Kyle Walker? I'd drop one of Welbeck/Sturridge as they are basically the same player and throw in Oxlade Chamberlain

mike65 wrote: »
    No room for Micah Richards or Kyle Walker? I'd drop one of Welbeck/Sturridge as they are basically the same player and throw in Oxlade Chamberlain

Elaborate.

• Advertisement

er young and black......? Quick, athletic wiry types who have to play up top albeit with a bit of cutting in from wide, whereas Rooney can and will drop deep/go wide if required to link up play. Not sure Carroll and Crouch would both be taken really - not quite the same type of course but probably only room for one tall fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Has Michael Cox taken over Mike65's account, sick analysis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah well sure, they're both black, they must be the same player. Never mind one's a very skilled greedy player and one's a very skilled player who's nearly afraid to shoot on occasions. They're both black and from the same country, how did I not see this before?!

Sounds like they should both be left at home. Take Walcott instead.

With the squad being announced tomorrow already a bunch of names are flyingh about who have supposedly been left out.

Walker, Richards, Terry, Ferdinand, Crouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

No surprise Ferdinand is being left out. he has lost a yard of pace this season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

With the squad being announced tomorrow already a bunch of names are flyingh about who have supposedly been left out.

Walker, Richards, Terry, Ferdinand, Crouch.

I would put Walker, Richards and Terry/Ferdinand in my team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

BBC Sport ‏ @BBCSport

BREAKING NEWS: England are set to leave out Rio Ferdinand from their Euro 2012squad, while Kyle Walker has been ruled out with a toe injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

John Terry has left Ferdinand, Walker (toe injury) and Richards out. Carroll in apparently.

He'll let Roy know the full squad tomorrow.

This Euro's is going to be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Will be interesting to see if Neville's thoughts from a few months ago back up what we see in the squad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ou-joking.html
    So get two people who can work together and will stand by their players; get a group of players who are young, enthusiastic and untainted by the past failure. Let them know what the rules are and then stick by them.

Wipe the slate clean and start again, like the England rugby team. Accept that Euro 2012 will be a learning experience. Bring in talented young players like Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck, Tom Cleverley, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Joe Hart, Wayne Rooney, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Kieran Gibbs and, hopefully, Jack Wilshere, for the summer.
    Create a unified spirit from top to bottom and we might even have a proper Team England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

If both Walker (because of injury) and Richards are being left behind, would it be Johnson and Jones competing for the RB slot?

• Advertisement
Advertisement