Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergraduate part-time BA degree Law in DIT

Options
  • 12-11-2011 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I have been looking to progress my knowledge in Law as i work as a legal secretary (i have done a diploma course in legal sec), which i love. I have been thinking about the BA Ordinary Degree in Law part-time in DIT, just wondering is there anyone out there that can advise me if they think this course is veeeerrry hard i am just worried about being able to handle it all ?

I would be grateful for any feedback.. :):confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

nickita22 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been looking to progress my knowledge in Law as i work as a legal secretary (i have done a diploma course in legal sec), which i love. I have been thinking about the BA Ordinary Degree in Law part-time in DIT, just wondering is there anyone out there that can advise me if they think this course is veeeerrry hard i am just worried about being able to handle it all ?

I would be grateful for any feedback.. :):confused:
    Also looking to do the same course part-time, would be interested in hearing from those who did/are doing said course!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

I started this course this year and I am thoroughly enjoying it. The course is interesting and the lecturers (at least on the modules I'm doing) are very good.

However I am not from a legal background so I may not be best placed to advise regarding the usefulness or not of the course.

In terms of work load it largely depends on how many modules you are doing. I am taking 3 per year but you could quite easily do more and get it over with quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jOHNGERARD50

finished the BA in 2010, they use to give it for completing 6 subjects now they force you to do the 9. Overall is was fine and I was not from legal background. It does take a fair bit of work and you do need to attend the lectures. I think that it was better with just the 6 subjects as you could finish it in 2 years. Now, it would to be real about it take 3 years.

...they use to give it for completing 6 subjects now they force you to do the 9.
    Is that legal ? :-)
    The only issue I have at this stage is that the company law module could be a tad boring! That aside I'm going to start in Sept. Do they have a suggested reading list ? Anything you could suggest that I have a look at in the meantime would be great. Thanks for the replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nickita22

Thanks for all the replies, one more question did anyone do this course while working full time? :)

• Advertisement

Paulieboy-Most of the modules have "Nutshells" which are basically easy to read introductions to each course. They would give you a good idea of the content of each subject.

nickita22-I am working full time and doing the course at the moment. I am doing 3 modules this year but at a push I could have done 4. It all depends on your own circumstances.

Paulieboy-Most of the modules have "Nutshells" which are basically easy to read introductions to each course. They would give you a good idea of the content of each subject.

nickita22-I am working full time and doing the course at the moment. I am doing 3 modules this year but at a push I could have done 4. It all depends on your own circumstances.

Thanks for the reply. I have a while to think about it I also have to take into account travelling from Monaghan :s if I have to attend lectures 2/3 times a week :s

Thanks for the reply. I have a while to think about it I also have to take into account travelling from Monaghan :s if I have to attend lectures 2/3 times a week :s
    I just finished a four year stint around the corner in Kevin St DIT part-time and did four years in Bolton St DIT part-time and I can tell you it's no walk in the park!
    It's hard for people like yourself that have to travel. A couple of students dropped out because of this on my course and it was not unusual for students to get up and walk out during a lecture as they had to go catch a bus/train to get home!
    Some lecturers finish a tad early and others forget to stop. So do factor in the travel time.
    That said, some lectures are just exercises in note taking and if you get a couple of class buddies you can rotate who turns up on a given night. This was how a few students worked it for one module on my course which was just taking notes.
    For all that the course actually passes quickly in the end so if you really want to do it then just go and do it :-)

@Thedogsgone tks for that, will have a look at a couple of them...

Thanks for ur reply Paulieboy !! I have a car so travelling may not be so bad but I know it would be Alot of hard wrk!! Is there Alot of studying involved at home ? :)

Thanks for ur reply Paulieboy !! I have a car so travelling may not be so bad but I know it would be Alot of hard wrk!! Is there Alot of studying involved at home ? :)

Lectures are held over 4 nights a week so you can take modules that are on at a time that suits you. There is a reasonable amount of reading required but there are 6 tutorials on saturdays throughout the year which you will need to do some work for so it kind of forces you to get reading done on particular topics.

As well as this Each module has at least one essay with some modules having two.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how many classes you have if you do this course full time? :)

Anyone know how many classes you have if you do this course full time? :)

Classes take place at night so its wouldnt be a full time course but you can sign up to as many modules as you wish.

You could do four modules one year and five the next and get it over with in two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shinòg

I'm very interested in taking this course in sept 2012. Just wondering if any past or current student student can give me any info re the timetabling of subjects, whether it changes from year to year etc. trying to pick modules at the minute. Thanks!

Advertisement