Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does it mean to be a 'Man' in modern society?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

iptba wrote: »

But even among the younger generations, I don't think DIY jobs are divided 50/50 between men and women.

When it comes to DIY I do find there is an element of physical strength that comes into play moreso than in other situations.

The average man is physically stronger than the average woman. Quite a lot of DIY work requires lifting and hammering etc. and the average woman will tire quicker. Obviously there's things like painting etc. that strength does not come into it as much but a lot of DIY work is definately easier for men to do on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

When it comes to DIY I do find there is an element of physical strength that comes into play moreso than in other situations.

The average man is physically stronger than the average woman. Quite a lot of DIY work requires lifting and hammering etc. and the average woman will tire quicker. Obviously there's things like painting etc. that strength does not come into it as much but a lot of DIY work is definately easier for men to do on average.

Not a theory I'd agree with, DIY is amateur by definition and you'll find it rarely involves anything where physicality differences between the sexes would actually matter, I have to say I'm almost offended that you suggest hammering of all things to be something a woman would be inherently less capable of.

I'd put it to you that even in the younger generations, men are more likely to do the DIY because they are more likely to know how, it's traditionally the kind of skill set a father teaches his son, so the actions of the younger generations have been affected by the actions of their predecessors. It's one of many areas where the affects of our new found equal thinking aren't going to be immediately visible, because they've barely happened yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭iptba

Dudess wrote: »
    Could you provide even one example of these man-hating feminists, supported with examples of their behaviour?
    I've seen quite a few conversations where even some feminists say some other well-known feminists have man-hating/misandric tendencies.

Here's a link to a sample list:
    http://www.fatherhoodcoalition.org/cpf/newreadings/2001/feminist_hate_speech.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Not a theory I'd agree with, DIY is amateur by definition and you'll find it rarely involves anything where physicality differences between the sexes would actually matter, I have to say I'm almost offended that you suggest hammering of all things to be something a woman would be inherently less capable of.
    Absolutely. The strength necessary for the vast majority of household DIY is quite limited and most DIY is both mundane and requires little or no strength (electrics, being a prime example). If you look at pre-industrial age housework, women had to contend with some highly strenuous activities, from the carrying of heavy loads through to washing clothes by hand.

The 'strength' argument is a bit of a red herring, IMHO. Suggesting that "a lot of DIY work is definitely easier for men to do on average" on that basis, effectively argues that any physical work should rather be done by men, which is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

If men are more likely to do DIY, it sort of contradicts the idea put forward earlier that women are more interested in interior decoration/design. Lots of DIY is centered around interior design.

Lots of men are very into gardening too.

I'm not sure that the idea that women want to do more housework as a result of an inherent difference due to gender holds much water.

yawha wrote: »
    If men are more likely to do DIY, it sort of contradicts the idea put forward earlier that women are more interested in interior decoration/design. Lots of DIY is centered around interior design.
    Not necessarily. For one thing, it depends whose idea it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

iptba wrote: »
    Could you provide even one example of these man-hating feminists, supported with examples of their behaviour?
    I've seen quite a few conversations where even some feminists say some other well-known feminists have man-hating/misandric tendencies.

Here's a link to a sample list:
    http://www.fatherhoodcoalition.org/cpf/newreadings/2001/feminist_hate_speech.htm
    I'm not disputing that at all - but they're on the fringes. It's simply inaccurate to say they're a regular part of everyday life.

I'm not disputing that at all - but they're on the fringes. It's simply inaccurate to say they're a regular part of everyday life.
    Ok. It wasn't my point, so I'm not going to defend it.

Advertisement