Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League 1 + League 2 + BS premier and below!

• 03-12-2010 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure there is much interest in teams outside English Primula/Championship level, but here goes, oh and remind us of the object of your misery. (This has been mentioned in other threads but no harm in reminders!)

Mine is Northampton Town, they have been up to the top league in England, but more often than not, can be found in League One or League Two. Perenially used to finished bottom of the league and had to seek re-election to the league, had the only 3 sided ground in the football League. Nickname the Cobblers.

More Recent history, beat Reading and Liverpool in the League Cup, highlights of an otherwise miserable season.

Current Manager Ian Sampson, a LONG time servant of the club, who, in all honesty, probably would have been sacked by now, if he wasn't so loyal to the club.

If the thread dies a death, don't feel bad, I am used to disappointment!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Went to a Burton Albion match there a few weeks ago and even though they lost enjoyed it, I'll look out for their results and hopefully get over to see them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Try to follow Northampton myself.:D

The mother is from there so I like to watch out for their results, going there for a weekend soon enough I think so hopefully I'll get to a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My cousin plays for Leyton Orient so I follow their results and went over a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

baz2009 wrote: »
    Try to follow Northampton myself.:D

The mother is from there so I like to watch out for their results, going there for a weekend soon enough I think so hopefully I'll get to a game.

You will have no problem getting a ticket anyway!!!

West Stand is the most expensive, but the best view and best atmosphere. North Stand has a few singers, and East Stand family friendly.

Hoping to get my kids as mascots there next year if we can afford to bring them over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

Liam O wrote: »
    My cousin plays for Leyton Orient so I follow their results and went over a few weeks ago.

What's your cousin's name?

• Advertisement

What's your cousin's name?

I'm guessing Stephen Dawson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Bradford City would be my 2nd team so I have a decent knowledge of the division but in particular the city setup.

Pretty much every year Bradford get the big club title and should go up but its just not materialised. The average crowd at Valley Parade is normally about double that of the next average gate which says something about the support the team gets.

Its really hard to pinpoint where the problem lies but it seems that, despite having arguably the best manager in the division, city are destined for another term in the bottom division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Cmon Luton Town! Get back to the bigtime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I always watch out for Sheffield Wednesday, watching their debt crises talks last month with interest, following it on twitter too
    Went to see them once when working in Yorkshire

I always watch the football league show late every Saturday

I also follow Cambridge United in the BSP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Can I ask how or why an Irish person first gets interested in a lower league English team?

• Advertisement

A lot of people will say it's Championship Manager/Football Manager

You find that daft but it's true for a lot.
    I started a similar thread to the OP a few months back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Can I ask how or why an Irish person first gets interested in a lower league English team?

My Ma's from Northampton so that's why I like to look out for them.
    As feelingstressed said, a good few would be from CM/FM, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Family, had an uncle who lived in Derby for years, always look out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Wouldn't say I follow a team in the lower leagues over there but I went to Cambridge Utd vs. Altrincham on the 27th. Generally like to look out for the results of the team I am playing in Football Manager though :pac: (Vauxhall at the minute).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well I like to look out for Watford as I lived there when I was an ickle baby.

Also, Luton Town due to Football Manager! Got them from League 2 to being Premiership Runners up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mars bar wrote: »
    Well I like to look out for Watford as I lived there when I was an ickle baby.

Also, Luton Town due to Football Manager! Got them from League 2 to being Premiership Runners up.

:pac:

You're not allowed follow both :p That's like supporting Birmingham and Villa or United and Pool. So just support Watford ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

SantryRed wrote: »
    :pac:

You're not allowed follow both :p That's like supporting Birmingham and Villa or United and Pool. So just support Watford ;):D

Yeah I know! :D

I love the press conferences on FM when I'm playing Watford. I had Liam Henderson playing up front for Luton, I had bought him from Watford for 90k, he ended up being worth almost 7 mil!

Watford is where I'm at really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Well theres usually some connection, I doubt anyone picks a team at random.

I look out for Luton Towns results because my cousin used to be involved with the youth team, and have a few cousins who are season ticket holders.

They reached FA Cup semi finals in 1994 and was gutted when they lost, they would've played Man United in the final! :(

I supported Sheffield Wednesday as one of the best games I've ever seen was the 1992/1993 FA Cup semi final against Sheffield United. Steel city derby!
    Was just a young lad and getting into football and I didn't have a team at the time, RTE used to show these games

And I went to Hillsborough once

But they weren't a lower league back then, they were well established in the top flight. Bad times these days :(

Like Cambridge United due to Football Manager, been following since since the late 1990's.
    And their website is one of the best league or non-league websites around, great articles on it. I've often spent an hour or two there. May head over and visit some day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I always watch the football league show late every Saturday

People should definitely watch this whether its on the night or on the iplayer later. My favourite programme on tv.
    A lot of people will say it's Championship Manager/Football Manager

It is quite funny but a good bit of it is this. A lot of people look out for Rushden and Diamonds results because in one version of FM/CM they were the team to take from the conference.
    Family, had an uncle who lived in Derby for years, always look out for them.

Family ties is another reason obviously and its nice to see people take an interest in lower league footie. I watch some random conference games when theyre on setanta ireland and get laughed at for doing so....meh, i love football.
    mars bar wrote: »
    Watford is where I'm at really.

At least you picked one ;)
    I supported Sheffield Wednesday as one of the best games I've ever seen was the 1992/1993 FA Cup semi final against Sheffield United. Steel city derby!
    Was just a young lad and getting into football and I didn't have a team at the time, RTE used to show these games

Epic match. They were a big club at the time and seeing them where they are now is a real shame. With the support they can get they will be back in the premiership in the not so distant future.

Yorkshire football ftw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I'm guessing Stephen Dawson?
    Got it in one

kind of preferred it last season and the season before when he was at Bury as it was close to Manchester and had a ticket link if I ever wanted to see United. He got in the League 2 team of the season for the past 2 years and they seem to be warming to him at Orient which is quite a nice (if old) ground that they play in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Rushden & Diamonds are the one I watch (again, because of CM back in the day). Within 5 seasons they moved from the old Conference to Division 2 and back down to the Conference.

They were the glory days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Nice to see a few lower league fans on here, far to many glory hunters around!:D

I’m a Peterborough Utd Fan!!!! and never thought I would be out numbered by both Cambridge and Northampton fans in Ireland!!!

Cambridge are having a bit of a shocker this year, I actually miss having Cambridge in the football league,

How’s Leon Mckenzie getting on at Sixfeilds he was one of may favourite Posh players of all time?

Do many of you get over for games?

I don't get people in this country at times. I really don't. :confused:

Mr Posh wrote: »

How’s Leon Mckenzie getting on at Sixfeilds he was one of may favourite Posh players of all time?

Do many of you get over for games?

Posh have been up and down, they started like a steam train and tailed off a bit, a brilliant strike force (I am loathed to admit!!:pac:)

Mckenszie has been great when hes fit, not the nicest bloke off the pitch but who cares I suppose. Best striker we have by a mile. I try to get over for 2 or 3 a season if I can.

To answer why follow a lower league team, in my case its because I have most of my family in Northampton and lived there for more than half my life thats why I follow them, practically my home town team.

I used to go to my local LOI team here occassionally, but they gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.

God I feel at home, surrounded by Watford, Luton, Cambridge, P'Boro and Rushden and Diamonds fans. All within an hour of the mighty Cobblers.

Who would have thought we'd have rivalry between Peterborough and Cambridge United fans on boards.ie :D

We are two leagues above Cambridge these days so our rivalry is stronger with the Wobblers and Franchise FC.

Posh have been punching above there wait for a while but have superb Irish chairman that backs the club, one of our finest managers of all time was Noel Cantwell a Cork man as some of older ones on the boards will remember.

I personally think its no more strange being a Irish fan of a lower league team than being a fan of Man U Chelsea, Man City ETC…… just means you get to experience more downs than up’s which is the reality of being a real fan which any Liverpool or Man U fan will tell you who supported them in the 60’s and 70’s, Most glory hunters seek instant gratification in a football team which in all honesty is false.

If you’re a lower league fan STICK with it and you will get a far more satisfying experience and a feeling of belonging which is hard to beat when the good times role in if only for a season or two!

Cobblers win 2 nil and surge up the league to about 17th!

Swindon beating Wednesday 2 - 1.

Mr Posh wrote: »
    I personally think its no more strange being a Irish fan of a lower league team than being a fan of Man U Chelsea, Man City ETC…… just means you get to experience more downs than up’s which is the reality of being a real fan which any Liverpool or Man U fan will tell you who supported them in the 60’s and 70’s, Most glory hunters seek instant gratification in a football team which in all honesty is false.

It's actually clearly more strange. For people who support those clubs they have reasons, such as facilities, exposure, quality of football on the likes. The fact you support a team over the water which offers pretty much the same quality of football as the LOI and the same facilities but you have to cross the water to get it. I find that baffling tbh.

Was just getting my spoke in about it! I don't wanna drag it off to a LOI debate or anything like that, I just find it even more confusing.

For the record, I look out for Watford and get over to a game or two a season because my dad is from there and was a ST holder for 15 years. But Shels will always be my team.

• Advertisement

You make a far point in terms of LOI football,

My point is if you are happy supporting Chelsea or Man City then why not Northampton, Peterborough or Watford theres no difference apart from the quality of football and the lack of trophies. Ok you don’t get the facilities, exposure, and quality of football but you get to be part of a real football club and not a brand.

I would always indorse following your local club so fair play for follow Shels which is why I follow the Posh, I never understood why Irish fans insist on investing in premier league teams by giving them there hard earn money when local Irish club are in desperate need of a loyal fan base to survive and produce the three things you have highlighted facilities, exposure and quality of football?

So the point is if you are going to support an English team and not an Irish one then there are plenty of other reasons to follow lower league clubs out side of the glory of the premier league.

Advertisement