Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Britian back in recession

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

and a lot of companies accept that they have to invest in graduates.

This is at best partly true. Everyone from chambers of commerce to the IDA laments the lack of certain classes of graduate, but they do little enough to engage with educational institutions to try and improve things. They presume that if jobs are there that people will fill them, but they neglect the critical steps of conveying general information on the opportunities in the sector so that people will choose to study the things that lead to those jobs.
    Ireland Inc's performance in this regard is not what it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

ucdperson wrote: »
    They presume that if jobs are there that people will fill them, but they neglect the critical steps of conveying general information on the opportunities in the sector so that people will choose to study the things that lead to those jobs.
    Surely if there's one thing we should learn from the last decade it's that students shouldn't base their CAO choices solely on the current jobs market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

liammur wrote: »
    Globalisation. Not sure it's as good as they told us it was, apart from getting cheap products etc

Globalisation is the essence of human nature. We've being practising it for a few thousand years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Globalisation is the essence of human nature. We've being practising it for a few thousand years.

Not accroding to this man:

"I don't want to let France dilute itself into globalization, here's the message from the first round," Sarkozy told supporters at a rally in Toulouse. "Europe has let the [idea of] Nation weaken too much."
    Sarkozy insisted on the crucial importance of borders at a time when "all borders are being cancelled."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Surely if there's one thing we should learn from the last decade it's that students shouldn't base their CAO choices solely on the current jobs market.

People shouldn't base their CAO choices on a simplistic interpretation of the current jobs market. Jobs come and go, but skills can remain in demand. Taking the example of the civil engineer earlier in the thread, civil engineers are somewhat out of demand, but the broader category applied mathematicians face increasing demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

ardmacha wrote: »
    People shouldn't base their CAO choices on a simplistic interpretation of the current jobs market. Jobs come and go, but skills can remain in demand. Taking the example of the civil engineer earlier in the thread, civil engineers are somewhat out of demand, but the broader category applied mathematicians face increasing demand.

True, they should also look to things that they like and are good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

liammur wrote: »
    Not accroding to this man:

"I don't want to let France dilute itself into globalization, here's the message from the first round," Sarkozy told supporters at a rally in Toulouse. "Europe has let the [idea of] Nation weaken too much."
    Sarkozy insisted on the crucial importance of borders at a time when "all borders are being cancelled."

Well that man is wrong. Sarkozy is a product of globalisation himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paddy0090

djpbarry wrote: »
    I disagree. There is broad recognition that a chronic shortage of engineers and computer scientists exists in the world (Germany, the engineering powerhouse of the world, has a massive shortage) and a lot of companies accept that they have to invest in graduates. For example, Intel have a number of intern and graduate positions advertised at present:
    http://www.intel.com/jobs/jobsearch/index_js.htm?Location=200000039&JobCategory=-1

]Job specs are not set in stone. It’s very likely that most applicants for a position are not going to tick all the boxes. ....

The German problem is as much a symptom of an ageing population as anything else. Though there's probably a wider problem in Europe as a whole.

The majority of vacancies are still for non grads with experience, lookfor your self. Maybe I'm not in a position to be picky but I won't do an internship. It's a basic principle, you work your week and get paid at the end of it, it disgusts me that any comapny thinks it's entitled to free labour. Indeed I've yet to come across any press release citing research that shows how internships create work. Never found David Letterman attractive and I've no ambition to smoke cigars that've been up my arse so I think I'll skip them.

I'm not some left wing nut, but you can't trade on your brand like that and expect everyone to come running! Everything for me, paid for by everyone else... Liberty, equality, interns!

Increaseingly the announcements on skills shortages are surrounding the lack of suitable candiates. One pharma company demands at least 2 references minimum(it can be for shop assistant or whatever). It's an employers market out there and they are prepared to wait, google won't hire everyone!

Advertisement