Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

kryogen wrote: »
    This seems a good place to point out, united are actually one of the best, and most profitably run football clubs in the world.

huge fan base, but with 700million (last i heard) in debt and building, not very profitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

amacachi wrote: »
    **** him. Just out of interest has he done anything at City or shall I add him to my list of players who are ****ing useless once they leave Arsenal? How's Clichy getting on?

Same here. Still, mostly know Liverpool fans so cheering for United winds them up which softens the blow. Also if City can be denied the title this season and next then FFP comes in they'll never do it. Would be a nice historical lesson, see them liquidised.

Clichy seems to have learned how to cross since he left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I absolutely hate United, I just hate City even more which I never thought was possible, I may be bitter but I don't want Nasri and the likes to win anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

**** him. Just out of interest has he done anything at City or shall I add him to my list of players who are ****ing useless once they leave Arsenal? How's Clichy getting on?

Same here. Still, mostly know Liverpool fans so cheering for United winds them up which softens the blow. Also if City can be denied the title this season and next then FFP comes in they'll never do it. Would be a nice historical lesson, see them liquidised.

Nasri hasnt been to playing too badly, he's been used in a different position than what he did at arsenal. One season at City he's nearly matched his assists record that he did 3 years at Arsenal though he takes a lot of their set pieces.

12111111.jpg

As for Clichy, he has improved his crossing, he's playing well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Nasri started pretty well but hes been muck the last few months.

Clichy is playing well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Galvasean wrote: »
    Feels so weird wanting United to win the league.

Have the feeling you're in the minority there pal. I hate United more than any other team, and its not even close. I never want to see them win, even when they play Spurs. Fair enough I preferred them to beat Spurs last week, but only after City had won first.

I dont like United by any means but they might do Arsenal a big favour by winning the league. if RVP sees City having failed to win a trophy despite all the money they have spent then he may not be inclined to leave for them. Just a theory. It could be a long shot. of course we cant discount Real Madrid or Barca from finding RVP Madrid or Catalan DNA respectively either.

Nope, I abhor City and their fans. More than United at the moment.

\edited: Of course Sp*rs are still enemy #1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Rosicky has signed a new contract I think, least thats what I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nah, I want United to win the league too.

Part of it is pragmatism, part of it is bitterness, and part of it is a grudging respect for United.

The pragmatism is that if the FFP does make a genuine difference, then the less successful City are in this interim period, the sooner it'll be that they fall back to earth.  If the FFP doesn't change things, then it's irrelevant to us anyway.

The bitterness is sort of a transference from Chelsea, as apart from overpaying on a couple of our supporting cast, City haven't really done a whole lot to us.  They're the new Chelsea though and Roman Abramovich's mid life crisis has done more to screw us over over the past few years than anything else.  A lot of people at the club have poured their guts into their work over the last few years and much of that has been ruined by the Russian's desire to play real life championship manager.  It shouldn't be that way and hopefully it won't be anymore. 

Also, it'll be a lot of fun to laugh at Nasri if they don't win the league.

Lastly I do respect United.  May loathe them at times but they do a lot of stuff the right way.  Also, the realisation that I'm fond of Gary Neville as a pundit has made me question a lot of things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I dont like United by any means but they might do Arsenal a big favour by winning the league. if RVP sees City having failed to win a trophy despite all the money they have spent then he may not be inclined to leave for them. Just a theory. It could be a long shot. of course we cant discount Real Madrid or Barca from finding RVP Madrid or Catalan DNA respectively either.

People seem to naturally discount the fact that RVP has to take his young family and move house as well. We basically assume it's all about football but I don't see how it can be.

This is why I simply didn't believe the nonsense about a pre-agreement with City. He's a dutch guy who's spent his 20s living in London. Why the hell would he instantly decide to go and live in Manchester when Barca or Madrid would also be on the cards.

He might stay and he might go but putting yourself in his shoes, would you really move to another part of England??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

re: who do you want to win the league. one more won't really make a big difference to united and at this stage we have to accept that they'll be picking them up fairly regularly until Fergie goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

gosplan wrote: »
    He might stay and he might go but putting yourself in his shoes, would you really move to another part of England??
    I would if you gave me (an extra) 100k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Rosicky pens a new two year deal

Happy with this so long as he keeps up his recent form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Rosicky pens a new two year deal

Happy with this so long as he keeps up his recent form.

agree with this. i know he's been great recently but for a LONG time he never really delivered. yes, he had serious injury problems but he never was a top signing for us. i wouldn't have him in the first team if (in the unlikely event ) everyone is fit. he's a decent player who is having a good run. we need better than him though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Personally think Rosicky is a sublime footballer when he's fit and confident as he has been lately, hopefully he can keep it up. Happy to see him get two more years.

Take it Wenger's scrapped his one year contracts for over 30s policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Couple of interesting stats I saw on the BBC website. If Arsenal come from behind in tonight's game it will be for the 4th consecutive time in the league. (Sunderland, Spurs and LIverpool) This has never happened before.

Also Arsenal have scored injury time goals of 3 of our last league matches. Who says we don't have resiliance and will-power ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Lastly I do respect United. May loathe them at times but they do a lot of stuff the right way. Also, the realisation that I'm fond of Gary Neville as a pundit has made me question a lot of things...

As much as I hate to admit it, im with yeh on that one he has turned out to be a great pundit, but should leave the commentary alone hes just plain annoying then.

As for United or City, for once im cheering on United it may be bitter but I just really really dont want to see Clichy or Nasri picking up league winner medals.

Does anyone know much about this Belhanda fella Wengers being talking about this week? Ill admit to knowing nothing about him, but some of the quotes from Wenger seems to point towards he might make a move for him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

kryogen wrote: »
    This seems a good place to point out, united are actually one of the best, and most profitably run football clubs in the world.

If you excuse their massive debt which they don't look like paying off anytime soon. I'm pretty sure they haven't turned a profit in quite a while either? Am I wrong in thinking arsenal are the only club that don't operate at a loss these last few seasons? (would gladly be corrected on all of this :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You can't possibly want United to win, surely?

I hate all of the 'money teams'; City, Chelsea, PSG, Malaga, Mackumslavumschalvain... all of them. they recklessly spend money that they never earned and have artificially inflated transfer fees and wages for other clubs (like us).
    Also City winning would justify the likes of Clichy and Nasri leaving wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As much as I hate to admit it, im with yeh on that one he has turned out to be a great pundit, but should leave the commentary alone hes just plain annoying then.
    I don't know, I thought his 'BINGO TIME!' bit was brilliant as was his 'WWWWWow.' reaction to Robin's goal against Spurs :D

We're being linked to loads of players at the moment. That Argentinian blogger/journo lad who said we'd agreed a summer deal for Suarez (the one in the Belgian league) also reckons we've bagged Holtby and are going for Vertonghen. I don't believe it of course, but it makes a change from having absolutely no transfer rumours at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Wenger out!:D

I was beginning to think at times that he had lost the dressing room but I'm over the moon for the man to have proven me wrong! Team showing great character recently!

Still work to be done, and still changes required, but we sure as hell are going in the right direction now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BrianJD

HEART :):):)

That must have been one hell of a bollocking AW gave them after the Milan defeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Crazy does not even come close to describing my reaction to that goal.

Put it like this, had there been a psychologist in the room, I'd be well on my way to the loonie bin by now :pac:

Also, and this is probably considerable coming from me, how ****ing brilliant was Theo tonight?? :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gary Neville spot on tonight regarding the Van Persie ''scrap'' with Krul.

That's the first bit of real fight and passion I've seen from an Arsenal captain in a long, long time. Reminds me back to when Vieira had the armband and as an Arsenal fan I'm sure that's what you want to see.

Great stuff lately lads, a joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Epic tonight.

Should've scored more but they never stopped.

Chesney - Not a great night for him tbh, looked a bit ropey.
    Sagna - Outstanding. Showed tonight what we missed for the months he was out.
    Vermaelen - Poor positionally for the goal, brilliant other than that.
    Koscielny - Usual putting his head and foot everywhere to get the ball.
    Gibbs - Linked up well with Song a few times down the left, did very little wrong defensively.
    Arteta - Maybe slowed things down a little too much too often put solid.
    Song - Best game I've seen him play all season.
    Rosicky - If he plays like that consistently then we're sorted for the next few years.
    Walcott - Excellent. Should've passed to Rosicky earlier for Rosicky's missed shot but he fairly put himself about.
    Oxlade-Chamberlain - Quiet tonight it has to be said.
    Van Persie - Not his best night but he never stopped.
    Ramsey linked up well once he came on, Gervinho was poor tonight I thought.

Other than the goal we were pretty damn solid defensively and were brilliant going forward. We didn't take our chances but it was a bit of a throw-back where we created proper chances rather than just passing it across the pitch. Didn't think we'd get the goal after the missed chances but delighted to be wrong.

Happiest I've been about an Arsenal match that wasn't against United/Pool/Spurs/Chelsea in a long time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Arsenal:
    Everton A
    Villa H
    QPR A
    City H
    Wolves A
    Wigan H
    Chelsea H
    Stoke A
    Norwich H
    WBA A

that other lot:
    Stoke H
    Chelsea A
    Swansea H
    Sunderland A
    Norwich H
    Bolton A
    QPR A
    Blackburn H
    Villa A
    Fulham H

We should be looking for 9 points from our next 3 games. Spurs meanwhile have three tough games. Reckon they'll only get 4 or 5 points out of them. We need to be a bit ahead by the City game as after that they have an "easier" run in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

We get a nice rest now as well until we play Everton on the 21st. Chelsea have to play Man city. Hopefully Man City will do us a favour and we get something from the Everton game. Actually hope Man City hammer Chelsea, a nice 5-0 loss will leave that dressing room like a tinder box!:D

Great stuff by Arsenal lately. Having a fit defense really adds balance to the team. Just goes to show that injuries are our worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I think what I enjoyed most was beating Alan Pardew and rubbing his dirty little tactics in his face while we did it. I.e. RVP making an absolute nob out of Krul, effectively making a nob out of Pardew, who no doubt told his players to try to aggravate the Arsenal players (if you think I'm mad, cast your mind back to Barton vs. Gervihno) and then it gloriously backfired on him!

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

New left-back, utility back perhaps (lets be honest Djourou as the back-up right back has to be addressed), the addition of Podolski, emergence of Rosicky as a top player, Jackie Wilshere's return and a new Nasri type player perhaps and most importantly of all holding onto RVP, should ensure that Arsenal will be title challengers come 2013 and I hope that ye are, the PL needs ye challenging! Well done tonight, were by far the better team, we've (Newcastle) had a good season of it but no harm in losing to ye on the night, go on beat the Yids into third for now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Can't remember being this buzzed after a game, except for Tuesday...and Saturday before that....and the week before that I guess...

Seriously though, that was brilliant, love getting one over on Pardew like that. Well done to RVP for giving a sh1t. We deserved the win and we got.

COME ON THE ARSENAL!!!

Arsenal:
    Everton A
    Villa H
    QPR A
    City H
    Wolves A
    Wigan H
    Chelsea H
    Stoke A
    Norwich H
    WBA A

that other lot:
    Stoke H
    Chelsea A
    Swansea H
    Sunderland A
    Norwich H
    Bolton A
    QPR A
    Blackburn H
    Villa A
    Fulham H

We should be looking for 9 points from our next 3 games. Spurs meanwhile have three tough games. Reckon they'll only get 4 or 5 points out of them. We need to be a bit ahead by the City game as after that they have an "easier" run in.

Gonna be hard to make it 8 wins in a row though, no team's done that yet this year. Still, hopefully going into the Everton match both teams will be heading into it with a win. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,221 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Arsenal:
    Everton A
    Villa H
    QPR A
    City H
    Wolves A
    Wigan H
    Chelsea H
    Stoke A
    Norwich H
    WBA A

that other lot:
    Stoke H
    Chelsea A
    Swansea H
    Sunderland A
    Norwich H
    Bolton A
    QPR A
    Blackburn H
    Villa A
    Fulham H

I agree. I think we have the harder fixtures. We need to be beating Everton away which will not be easy. Spurs are home to Swansea too and will beat them, pity it wasn't away. Sunderland will take points off them. Could all come down to the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Rosicky was just brilliant. If he carries this form on, he could become a massive player for us.

Just keep going to the end, keep trying to get forward. Wenger will always try to go for the win which is what happened. Van Persie is different class too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

So many positives to be taken from that performance. That was probably the most deserved goal we've scored all season.

While it was great to see Rosicky and Walcott play so well, for me the biggest positive was the style of play we were able to execute tonight. It was close to the way our best teams went about their business; lots of possession but with high tempo attacks as well.

Spurs have to be feeling the pressure now, especially after being almost sure of finishing third a few weeks back (and talking of the title I might add :o).

Russia: keep Arshavin. Haven't lost since his loan, he's had two draws in that time

I f*cking loved RVP tonight. That passion is something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

anyone else think Ramsey is overated
    he hasn't impressed me at all this year
    he makes terrible decisions in the final third

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Rosicky was just brilliant. If he carries this form on, he could become a massive player for us.

Just keep going to the end, keep trying to get forward. Wenger will always try to go for the win which is what happened. Van Persie is different class too.

It's the sense of urgency he generates when he's on the ball. Always looking for a forward pass which is crucial in his position. If he keeps up this form he'll have that position as his I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,221 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

HazDanz wrote: »
    It's the sense of urgency he generates when he's on the ball. Always looking for a forward pass which is crucial in his position. If he keeps up this form he'll have that position as his I reckon

Yes but did he get a bang on the head ? Where was that urgency earlier in the season ? I really cannot understand the transition. Maybe Wenger kicked him up the arse and well done if he did. Like a new player now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

MD1990 wrote: »

His form isn't great at the moment alright. However, in the long term I'd keep the faith. He certainly has shown on occasion that he can contribute to the team.

However, once Jack is back I'm sure Ramsey will find it hard get a game in the team unless there are injuries. Especially when you take into consideration how well Rosicky is playing, the consistency of Arteta pretty much since he signed, as well as the fact that Ox may be used through the middle more often next year if we do sign Podolski.

Definately a good option imo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Epic tonight.

Should've scored more but they never stopped.

Chesney - Not a great night for him tbh, looked a bit ropey.
    Sagna - Outstanding. Showed tonight what we missed for the months he was out.
    Vermaelen - Poor positionally for the goal, brilliant other than that.
    Koscielny - Usual putting his head and foot everywhere to get the ball.
    Gibbs - Linked up well with Song a few times down the left, did very little wrong defensively.
    Arteta - Maybe slowed things down a little too much too often put solid.
    Song - Best game I've seen him play all season.
    Rosicky - If he plays like that consistently then we're sorted for the next few years.
    Walcott - Excellent. Should've passed to Rosicky earlier for Rosicky's missed shot but he fairly put himself about.
    Oxlade-Chamberlain - Quiet tonight it has to be said.
    Van Persie - Not his best night but he never stopped.
    Ramsey linked up well once he came on, Gervinho was poor tonight I thought.

Other than the goal we were pretty damn solid defensively and were brilliant going forward. We didn't take our chances but it was a bit of a throw-back where we created proper chances rather than just passing it across the pitch. Didn't think we'd get the goal after the missed chances but delighted to be wrong.

Happiest I've been about an Arsenal match that wasn't against United/Pool/Spurs/Chelsea in a long time. :D

you forgot santos: handing that coat to chamberlain after he came off, flawless :D

good to see him back on the bench though

Yes but did he get a bang on the head ? Where was that urgency earlier in the season ? I really cannot understand the transition. Maybe Wenger kicked him up the arse and well done if he did. Like a new player now.

I dunno but seeing him in a few matches for the Czech Republic a while back he only played OK despite having loads of time on ball compared to when he plays for Arsenal. His long injury lay-offs may have mentally affected him as well.

I feel it's important to point out though that Newcastle really, really ****ed up for the equaliser. For all the talk of a lack of urgency it's far easier to be urgent on the break or attacking from deep, a lot harder when the other team has no interest in having the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

You can see how much that win meant to the players. After Thomas scored they showed the Arsenal bench, where Rosicky lept off the bench into the pitch and Santos gives Wenger a big bear hug.

Thought Walcott was super today, looked a lot more composed with the ball and never really gave it away like he used to do. Also Rosicky was just class again tonight, would love to know what made him get his act together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I dunno but seeing him in a few matches for the Czech Republic a while back he only played OK despite having loads of time on ball compared to when he plays for Arsenal. His long injury lay-offs may have mentally affected him as well.

I say it's confidence predominantly. He owes us a good run of form in fairness so hopefully the next two years he is with us will be influential and keeps injury free

dvemail wrote: »
    You can see how much that win meant to the players. After Thomas scored they showed the Arsenal bench, where Rosicky lept off the bench into the pitch and Santos gives Wenger a big bear hug.

Thought Walcott was super today, looked a lot more composed with the ball and never really gave it away like he used to do. Also Rosicky was just class again tonight, would love to know what made him get his act together.

I love Rosicky right now! He loves the club, he could have easily spent the last few months whoring himself around Europe, he in all likelyhood wouldn't have been short of offers be put his head down and really earned that new contract he signed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I feel it's important to point out though that Newcastle really, really ****ed up for the equaliser. For all the talk of a lack of urgency it's far easier to be urgent on the break or attacking from deep, a lot harder when the other team has no interest in having the balls.
    Simpson is injured and a FB and went 60 yards forward to take a throw in. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

MD1990 wrote: »

Try telling that to Osama Bin Laden, Whitney Houston, Steve Jobs and Gaddaffi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

When Theo was asked about the RVP Krul incident I was praying he was gonna say its all double dutch to me.
    Alas, not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement