Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you want to marry?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Just saw this thread.

Yes I would love to be able to marry because I would like to publicly celebrate our union in the manner that the majority of the citizens in the Republic can.

Legally I want our rights protected, including our assets, pensions and living wills etc…...

Simples. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finally a woman

What is the actual difference between getting married and having a civil union? Is it the religious aspect?
    Well if its a Church wedding with a blessing it is a religious aspect, but they still have to sign state documents to make it all legal.
    I had a civil union 2years ago but still consider myself a married woman, it wasn't a gay marriage, I married my Fiancé (boyfriend) who is definitely straight, Im a post op transwoman also straight. My husband fully excepts me as a woman, getting married was the best thing I did, Id recommend it, my only regret I didn't store sperm, so sadly no children, my life now is even better as a woman, marrying the man I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 waterglass305

When I was younger, before I realized I like guys, I dreamed of finding that perfect gal to settle down with.

I had it all planned out, we'd meet, date, fall in love and get married :rolleyes:
    One of the biggest problems with coming out was giving up on that idea of having a family and being married.
    I wanted to have wife, children etc so badly that that was my barrier to overcome.

I may have accepted that I like guys but the plan is the same, I want to get hitched :D obviously not anytime soon, I'm only 23 I want some fun first ;)
    To me marriage is a commitment and a sacrament, it would be wrong for me not to get married. And yes it would have to be monogamous but that wouldn't mean no sex, far from it....:eek:

Of course if you don't want to get married/don't believe in it then don't get married. I don't judge we should be free to choose what we want to do.
    And I choose not some BS civil crap drivel that society thinks I'll accept, I want a full proper marriage that lasts a lifetime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭ShanePouch

And I choose not some BS civil crap drivel that society thinks I'll accept, I want a full proper marriage that lasts a lifetime.

Does that mean you want some sort of religious ceremony also?

For me, I had never considered that a civil marriage was not a full or proper marriage.

ShanePouch wrote: »
    Does that mean you want some sort of religious ceremony also?

For me, I had never considered that a civil marriage was not a full or proper marriage.

Hang on I was taking about civil partnership, two men (or women) cannot have a civil marriage.

Honestly I don't know about having a religious ceremony, if I meet a guy who wanted one I'd go for it as long as I didn't have to convert.

You see in Ireland we can only get a civil partnership, which doesn't have the same rights as a civil marriage, if we wanted children we can't jointly adapt, if I died, my husband would not automatically be the the guardian, we'd be at the mercy of the Courts or my family.

How the hell is that fair? In terms of tax laws, inheritance, children etc their not the same.
    Civil partnership is a proto-marriage, a degraded form of what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

American take on things
    In a humorous talk with an urgent message, LZ Granderson points out the absurdity in the idea that there's a "gay lifestyle," much less a "gay agenda." (Filmed at TEDxGrandRapids.)
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lz_granderson_the_myth_of_the_gay_agenda.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I'm bisexual and yes, I would like the option of marrying a woman if, in time, I found love with someone of my own gender. I honestly believe that I'd have a better shot at love with a woman but then again, I want babies and the white picket fence dream. So, marriage to a woman with the option of sperm donation or adoption please.

Yes, but feminism has violated the sanctity of marriage

How?

I don't know who that is or what you are getting at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement