Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread **READ POST #1 IN FULL**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

daithijjj wrote: »
    It was possible until the start of this season :confused:, i see no reason why it cant be again.

Personally, i see no purpose in someone taking a moderator position is a soccer forum if they arent willing to sit in a few/some/alot of match threads during the year.

If its the case that things have changed and its generally accepted by everyone that a soccer mods remit is to dip in and out at leisure, reading posts made days earlier and dishing out yellows, fine (i might even put my name forward :pac:), but at the same time, that makes the entire forum laborious to read because it just leads to all parties insulting each other whilst skirting within the rules.

Essentially, given time, what you would be left with is alot of good posters not bothering their hole with the place, posters with a fleeting interest in the soccer forum winding everyone up for what can be days, and posters who are willing to put up with it but step out of line eventually. Boards then becomes no better than any other forum........it used to be very good but not this year.

A. You've really no idea how much time people spend moderating. You paint it as if mods not online for days is a common occurrence. It's not. The odd time there is a gap, but that should be fixed by more mods.
    B. Some match threads don't kick off. Some do. Near impossible to predict, bar anything with Liverpool and United.
    C. People are volunteers, not employees. Frankly, what you think is an appropriate amount to mod is something that the vast majority of current mods could not give. They have, ya know, jobs.
    D. I'd have as many mods as we possibly could, the problem is it's extremely difficult to find people who you could actually trust to mod.

If you really think it's required, I suggest you take it past this feedback to a general point about professional moderation. Because that's the only way it'll work at the level you think is required.

Frankly, I think the entire issues raised by people is about volume. The sheer volume of posters is unreal, match threads are impossible to follow because there are so many posters. Debates are less in depth. It's just the nature of growth. I think a further subdivision of super threads would be welcome, but I can't for the life of me figure out how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

PHB wrote: »
    A. You've really no idea how much time people spend moderating. You paint it as if mods not online for days is a common occurrence. It's not. The odd time there is a gap, but that should be fixed by more mods.
    B. Some match threads don't kick off. Some do. Near impossible to predict, bar anything with Liverpool and United.
    C. People are volunteers, not employees. Frankly, what you think is an appropriate amount to mod is something that the vast majority of current mods could not give. They have, ya know, jobs.
    D. I'd have as many mods as we possibly could, the problem is it's extremely difficult to find people who you could actually trust to mod.

If you really think it's required, I suggest you take it past this feedback to a general point about professional moderation. Because that's the only way it'll work at the level you think is required.

Frankly, I think the entire issues raised by people is about volume. The sheer volume of posters is unreal, match threads are impossible to follow because there are so many posters. Debates are less in depth. It's just the nature of growth. I think a further subdivision of super threads would be welcome, but I can't for the life of me figure out how.

A. If it wasn't a common occurrence then why does the forum need 3 more mods......and maybe more?. Des made the point, i wont repeat it. Its not all about user volume.

B. Id say 99% of the users could predict what match threads could/can/will kick off.

C. Its been repeatedly said that 24/7 coverage is a ludicrous notion, what people imo expect from a mod of Soccer is some coverage Sat/Sun, Mon evening if theres a game on TV and Euro games Tues/Wed evening, outside that i wouldnt expect anything.

D. Fair enough.

If any of the above amounts to a suggestion of pro moderation then fine, i dont think it does, id call it fairly basic stuff some of the old mods who have left were very capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    I think a further subdivision of super threads would be welcome, but I can't for the life of me figure out how.

Subdivide the forum.

The answer is literally staring you all in the face, but for some unfathomable reason the mods just dismiss the idea completely out of hand.

EVERY other busy forum on Boards has subdivided.

Politics, AH, jaysis, even the Food & Drink subject is divided out.

The Soccer Mods are like FIFA and Technology when it comes to this idea really.

Also...no-one to "trust" to mod, that is laughable.

There are 500 mods on this site, you've picked one of them, and made another member a mod for the first time.

The Admins trust the other 490 mods, but you don't?

daithijjj wrote: »
    C. Its been repeatedly said that 24/7 coverage is a ludicrous notion, what people imo expect from a mod of Soccer is some coverage Sat/Sun, Mon evening if theres a game on TV and Euro games Tues/Wed evening, outside that i wouldnt expect anything.

I modded the rugby forum, because although I've no interest in the game, I was, at the time, available to mod during a World Cup, and later, at times when games were on, because most of the other mods were at the games.

When I wasn't able to offer that commitment any more, it was one of the factors that made me step aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

When you say subdivide the forum do you mean have an EPL sub-forum, LOI sub-forum, BBVA sub-forum etc?

Also we don't dismiss it out of hand. Last time there was discussion on it more people were against it than were for it, it's not just the Mods deciding it's not happening.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    When you say subdivide the forum do you mean have an EPL sub-forum, LOI sub-forum, BBVA sub-forum etc?

Yes, but I have no idea what BBVA is.

Not an EPL Sub-forum, the Soccer Forum is practically a EPL Forum anyway, with all discussion of any other league nicely wrapped up in a single weekly thread, or a League Superthread.

Do a poll, ask people which EPL team they support and make a forum for the biggest three or four teams.

LoI, La Liga are next - no other league has the following (sorry Seaneh), so we don't need to bother about them. If and when another league garners a lot of following in the future, make a new sub forum, and if needs be, merge any quiet forums back in with the still active Soccer Forum. A review could be had every 24 or 30 Months to see oif any new forums are needed, or any closures needed.

Look, it's cool to have an Admin decide on a whim to subdivide the forum (Go Ahead Eagles anyone? :rolleyes:, or the Spurs forum being made because the person who asked was "well in" with the Admins at the time), but not to discuss any other sibdivisions, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

a sub forum for match threads might also work with access restrictions to 50+ posts in main forum first, also ability to ban people from this forum alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Spot On
    I got a yellow card for saying i dont like chelsea fc, why should we skirt around the issue and fill each other with bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

niallo27 wrote: »
    I got a yellow card for saying i dont like chelsea fc, why should we skirt around the issue and fill each other with bull****.

'Skirt' around what issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The consistency is big problem.

Being called troll and WUM yesterday, and nothing done, and yet when I replied it was me that got warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The consistency is big problem.

Being called troll and WUM yesterday, and nothing done, and yet when I replied it was me that got warning.

It's easier if you report these posts - we can't see everything so unless we stumble upon something while reading the threads, unreported things can go without being dealt with.

Niallo, this was your post:
    Can we all stop pretending we respect Chelsea FC, utd arsenal have deserved respect, Chelsea are a horrible football club, no point in bullshiiting around it.

If that's not intended to cause a reaction from or rile the Chelsea fans, I don't know what is. The rules of the charter you signed up to let me make judgement on your intent, and that's my judgement.

If you aren't happy, then as I said in a PM, take it up with one of the other mods, and progress up the Dispute Resolution system if you so wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

G.K. wrote: »
    Niallo, this was your post:

If that's not intended to cause a reaction from or rile the Chelsea fans, I don't know what is. The rules of the charter you signed up to let me make judgement on your intent, and that's my judgement.

If you aren't happy, then as I said in a PM, take it up with one of the other mods, and progress up the Dispute Resolution system if you so wish.

To be honest, if he got a yellow card for that, we might as well all pack up and go home. Surely every post is meant to cause a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Too Lenient
    monkey9 wrote: »
    To be honest, if he got a yellow card for that, we might as well all pack up and go home. Surely every post is meant to cause a reaction.

''Chelsea are a horrible football club'' is the type of juvenile shíte that people on here hate to see.

Yes you're right in that we all post for reactions, but the reactions that people should be looking for should be ones that lead to healthy debate, not toilet thrash like what Niallo posted, that will do nothing but rile Chelsea fans and drag the forum down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Too Lenient
    monkey9 wrote: »

The post was devoid of subtlety and clearly designed to provoke posters into biting. It's a cut and dried yellow for me, I don't see how it can be argued? :confused:

Ask yourself this, if the roles were reversed, how would you feel about such a post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Spot On
    I was hammered yesterday and I took the defeat badly, I apologize if I was acting the dick.

monkey, I refer you to the charter.
    There is a misconception that posters who post unpopular or uncomplimentary opinions are trolling this forum. On its own, that behaviour is not a problem. When it is done to deliberately rile an individual or group on the forum then it becomes trolling.

If you want to post controversial opinion then you should be prepared to argue cogently and coherently in support of your argument. Repeating the same point over and over again without addressing counter arguments is not advisable. It is your responsibility to ensure that you contribute in a positive manner, that does not mean you have to agree with everyone else but you must avoid deliberate disruption of the forum.

The mod team reserve the right to apply their judgement as to a users intent when posting, and issue bans and/or infractions for trolling as necessary.

Most of Niallo's posts at the time had been disparaging toward Chelsea. I had to delete one angry reply from a chelsea fan to nip the exchange in the bud - so niallo clearly did draw a negative reaction from them. This is my judgement.

As it is, he's apologised, so can we leave it at that please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I was hammered yesterday and I took the defeat badly, I apologize if I was acting the dick.

Fair play niallo.......:)
    Nice to see someone able to admit when they've got it wrong rather than blaming the soccer mods and other posters... Pity others don't react the same way as you have today

It's easier if you report these posts - we can't see everything so unless we stumble upon something while reading the threads, unreported things can go without being dealt with.

I did report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Too Lenient
    Fair play niallo.......:)
    Nice to see someone able to admit when they've got it wrong rather than blaming the soccer mods and other posters... Pity others don't react the same way as you have today
    Hang on, did he not kick off this whole thing with ridiculous post?
    Anyways the matter is over, it was a stonewall yellow but at least you apologized I suppose.

The_Kew_Tour, I've got no record of the report.

THFC wrote: »
    Hang on, did he not kick off this whole thing with ridiculous post?

Anyways the matter is over, it was a stonewall yellow but at least you apologized I suppose.

Christ, some of ye would argue with yer own toenails in a locked room on yer own!!!! NO ONE SAID HE DIDN'T START THE SITUATION OFF:confused:

He was drunk, made ****ty posts which riled opposition fans. Tried to get the ban overturned whilst still drunk, woke up, realised he was in the wrong and apologized.........................

Fair play for realising he was in the wrong and dropping it is all I'm saying..

That okay by you now or do you feel the need to harp on about it?????:)

The_Kew_Tour, I've got no record of the report.

Sent it there again.

BTW I totally deserved the warning, no problem with that.

I broke rules and I hold my hand up, but tbf when I was warned the post I replied to was shown and far worse and abusive.

I totally understand the job ye do and its hard enough without me and others making life difficult for you.

Thankfully I have not caused this trouble in 6 months, bar that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ah I hate when people become mods :(

Too Lenient
    Christ, some of ye would argue with yer own toenails in a locked room on yer own!!!! NO ONE SAID HE DIDN'T START THE SITUATION OFF:confused:

He was drunk, made ****ty posts which riled opposition fans. Tried to get the ban overturned whilst still drunk, woke up, realised he was in the wrong and apologized.........................

Fair play for realising he was in the wrong and dropping it is all I'm saying..

That okay by you now or do you feel the need to harp on about it?????:)
    Jesus calm down, I wouldn't have bothered with this had I known people were so emotional over it. I didn't realise he was still drunk when he tried to get it over turned, I recall him coming into the match thread (if it wasn't him then I apologise) just after it was over yesterday spouting similar shíte, which was when I left so I presumed he made the original comment around then. I'm sorry KittyeeTrix, I'll leave it at that.

THFC wrote: »
    Jesus calm down, I wouldn't have bothered with this had I known people were so emotional over it. I didn't realise he was still drunk when he tried to get it over turned, I recall him coming into the match thread (if it wasn't him then I apologise) just after it was over yesterday spouting similar shíte, which was when I left so I presumed he made the original comment around then. I'm sorry KittyeeTrix, I'll leave it at that.

I'm a female and I get emotional! What can I say?? Hubby's in hospital with a brain cyst, 4 kids rattling around the house that I'm minding alone 5 days before my 4th year final exams and CITY are ready to kick off a hugely important nerve-shattering game so basically

I apololgize for being a little tetchy:o:)

P.s, hubby will be fine, a benign cyst that won't cause too much bother....thank goodness!!

Too Lenient
    I'm a female and I get emotional! What can I say?? Hubby's in hospital with a brain cyst, 4 kids rattling around the house that I'm minding alone 5 days before my 4th year final exams and CITY are ready to kick off a hugely important nerve-shattering game so basically

I apololgize for being a little tetchy:o:)

P.s, hubby will be fine, a benign cyst that won't cause too much bother....thank goodness!!
    Oh jesus! Couldn't help but laugh reading the City part after saying your husband is in hospital and final exams are coming up :D Best of luck with everything, I'm sure it will all work out (except for the City part :P)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Spot On
    I think the main issue with the moderation on this forum is the massive lack of consistency. I make a habit of checking back on every post I report to see how it was dealt with, and it bugs me to see some things infracted for the exact same things that others get away with.

There is one mod in particular that would nearly infract me for breathing (I won't name who because I'd probably get banned, but I've been infracted for the most ridiculous of reasons, and get no response when I query) but then I see others getting away with full on abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CSF wrote: »
    I think the main issue with the moderation on this forum is the massive lack of consistency. I make a habit of checking back on every post I report to see how it was dealt with, and it bugs me to see some things infracted for the exact same things that others get away with.

I work in a kindergarten atm (good prep for modding, looking to move back into the media but thats another issue...) and one thing I always have to deal with from the 4 year olds is the consistancy issue...

I catch a kid pushing another kid and I stop him and he gets in trouble for his actions which he will later admit are wrong. First however he will immediatley say (wether its true or not) that someone else pushed him, be that then or previously. I dont know if this is true at this time but I do know what he did. I say that it doesent matter what someone else does what he did is wrong, explain why its wrong (its against the forum charter) and he gets in trouble for it. If someone else did something wrong he should have told a teacher (reported it).

Yes sometimes things get reported and not acted upon but that does not mean because you spot this it means a loophole in the rules has been created you can exploit.

People say more mods wont solve the more consistancy problem you speak of too but tbh more mods mean more people getting reported post updates and checking them so more than likely less things would be missed which could be considerd as inconsistancies, so I cant see how it wouldnt help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement