Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Actually you're wrong Helix
    IF CHELSEA WIN THE UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
    The Blues will qualify for the Group Stage of next season's tournament as winners.
    If Chelsea also finish third in the Barclays Premier League (their highest-possible finish as of April 25th), then the fourth-placed team will enter the competition at the Play-Off stage (which follows the three qualifcation rounds) - the final obstacle ahead of the Group Stage.
    If Chelsea finish fourth, all four Barclays Premier League teams will enter at the Group Stage.
    If Chelsea finish fifth or lower, they still enter at the Group Stage as defending champions. Because no nation can have more than four teams in the competition, the team that finishes fourth in the Barclays Premier League will qualify for the UEFA Europa League, not the UEFA Champions League. The top three clubs will enter the UEFA Champions League at the Group Stage as normal.

From premierleague.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

G.K. wrote: »
    Actually Helix, Chelsea would qualify if they won the CL, wherever they finished.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/

i stand corrected

that's new

either way, it'd be a hell of a risk wouldn't it... resting all your players on the basis that there's no CL football if you don't win the final with half a starting xi suspended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Helix wrote: »
    i stand corrected

that's new

either way, it'd be a hell of a risk wouldn't it... resting all your players on the basis that there's no CL football if you don't win the final with half a starting xi suspended

Exactly they have to go all out tomorrow. As I said they can play Terry, Ramires, Ivanovic and Meireles with no fear of them missing the final if they acquired an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It's not new, the rule was changed back after we won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

Either way, there's a long gap to the CL and FA cup finals for Chelseas now, so unlike last weekend, they don't need to be resting players.

Also to be 100% fair, Wigan have now beaten 3 of the top 4 over the last few weeks. Back then, with that run ahead, Wigan looked dead and buried. After beating Utd, Arsenal and hammering Newcastle today, they deserve to stay up. If QPR can go on a similar run and beat Chelsea and City, it'd be hard to begrudge them safety too. But that's if they go on that run.

IMO it's looking like it'll all come down to the last day of the season, same as last year, and at a guess I'll say Blackburn will be gone by then too. So it'll be us, QPR and Bolton fighting it out for survival that day. If so and given the stakes, I'd rather be playing Norwich than a Man City side possibly chasing the title. Monday night's game suddenly has a big impact on our season.

It's all so very, very frustrating. How many times over the last few games have we looked suddenly safe - ahead against Stoke, ahead against Bolton, 0-0s with Sunderland and WBA where any jammy goal would have sealed it. And still we're down on the mix.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭pavb2

20 points dropped from winnng positions isn't it?

I think Blackburn are gone, so QPR looking most likely to join them with Stoke (H) Chelsea & Man City away. But as Wigan have shown......

Think we need a City win on Monday

Well Blackburn's loss today makes it all but impossible for them to catch us - 6 points and 14 goals behind us. And QPR's thrashing by Chelsea doesn't bode well for their fighting abilities since they'll need to get something from the City match, regardless of what they do against Stoke.

So it is starting to look like we're dragging ourselves slowly over the finish line. Hopefully this will act as a wake up call the Randy Lerner, that flirting with relegation last season, then selling all our most creative players, is not going to make us any more competitive the following year. It's starting to feel like the Villa Thread belongs in with the Irish Economy forum, we've gone through so much austerity the last few years after our MON Tiger years but really there's not that much more left to cut from the team. Instead it needs investment and some excitement back for next season to get us, the fans, back interetested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Patser wrote: »
    Well Blackburn's loss today makes it all but impossible for them to catch us - 6 points and 14 goals behind us. And QPR's thrashing by Chelsea doesn't bode well for their fighting abilities since they'll need to get something from the City match, regardless of what they do against Stoke.

So it is starting to look like we're dragging ourselves slowly over the finish line. Hopefully this will act as a wake up call the Randy Lerner, that flirting with relegation last season, then selling all our most creative players, is not going to make us any more competitive the following year. It's starting to feel like the Villa Thread belongs in with the Irish Economy forum, we've gone through so much austerity the last few years after our MON Tiger years but really there's not that much more left to cut from the team. Instead it needs investment and some excitement back for next season to get us, the fans, back interetested.

I must say that given how Wigan appear to fight through the rough times I would welcome Martinez as club manager.
    Too bad he is not interested :/

Ye can now afford to lose ye're remaining games and still stay up imo. But boy do improvements have to be made

Doodee wrote: »
    I must say that given how Wigan appear to fight through the rough times I would welcome Martinez as club manager.
    Too bad he is not interested :/

to play devil's advocate there, it's also worth remembering he's the manager who was in charge to get them into tough times to begin with. this run they're on seems to be making people forget that they got into that mess with him as manager too

that said, i think he'd do a decent job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ye can now afford to lose ye're remaining games and still stay up imo. But boy do improvements have to be made

Bent will be back fit at the start of the season which is a big boost to Villa. They've struggled to score lately and he's good for 15 a season.

Paully D wrote: »
    Bent will be back fit at the start of the season which is a big boost to Villa. They've struggled to score lately and he's good for 15 a season.

assuming there's a new manager in and the way we play is changed, he's probably good for 20 tbh

our problems run deeper than our manager though. our lack of movement has been a problem since before lerner bought the club, and it continues to be our biggest issue. that doesnt get fixed overnight, so it's something that we're going to have to deal with for the best part of another decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

My stomach is churning watching this, hopefully Villa stay up and then get rid of the hired help from over the road,
    Wigan hopefully stay up too they play nice stuff and definately deserve a place in the premier league more so than Villa I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wigan and Villa will stay up.

Blackburn and Wolves are gone now and it's between QPR and Bolton for that last spot. QPR will take it IMO.

I have to say I've taken Helix's view with regard to Villa's relegation chances and basically said there's no way they'll go down. I know it has looked hairy at times but it's never really got as bad as most of you thought IMO.

twitter chatter reckons we're making an announcement tomorrow. im sure it's crap, but if it was about getting rid of mcleish i think it would make a bit of sense. it'd definitely eschew convention, but i think it makes perfect sense to get rid of him next week. i doubt lerner wants a repeat of bolton from the home crowd, not for the last game of the season with season ticket renewals not going too well. if, and its a big if, they have decided to get rid of him now, it'll mean a great atmosphere at villa park at the weekend now that we're all but safe. the fans will be happy, the players will be happy (assuming they dislike playing for him) and the overall vibe will be a lot more positive

as an aside to that, perhaps mcleish has also decided that he'd rather go now, when he can claim he got us safe, rather than facing more abuse. it's probably as good a time as any to get rid for both parties, so it genuinely wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hodgson approached re: the England job. Surely Eck would relish the chance to take down the last remaining West-Midland club :P

Paully D wrote: »
    Wigan and Villa will stay up.

Blackburn and Wolves are gone now and it's between QPR and Bolton for that last spot. QPR will take it IMO.

I have to say I've taken Helix's view with regard to Villa's relegation chances and basically said there's no way they'll go down. I know it has looked hairy at times but it's never really got as bad as most of you thought IMO.

Agree. If QPR fail to beat Stoke 34/35 points could be the cut off. Has to be the lowest in a while.

Always knew Villa had done enough. If it was another year Villa would be gone, but ultimately this season proved quite an easy year to stay up!

Suddenly I'm nervous again about Villa and I think it's all this talk that we're safe. Yes we look safer than before the week-end, yes we have the advantage but with Spurs winning yesterday and locked in a fight for 4th, I can see them winning at Villa Park next weekend.

If that happens and QPR and Bolton (again assuming Bolton lose their mid-week Spurs game) get wins - quite possible - then we'll all go into the last game pretty much equal on points and then you have to worry that QPR could steal a point against a City team that may or may not be in the hunt for a tite.

Ow! The maths of all this are hurting my head. Why can't we just fast forward to the season's end and just get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Have to agree. It's in no way certain that we're safe. We're showing the worst form of the teams battling relegation and we all know what happened McUseless when in the same position last year. If QPR beat Stoke at home next week, Bolton beat West Brom at home (or get something out of Spurs on Wed) and we lose to Spurs we're rightly fooked. I just can't see our players being able to motivate themselves away at Norwich on the final day. So then if Bolton and QPR get something on the final day we're gone.

These relegation battles always throw up suprises. For me at the moment, the suprise will be if we manage to stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I won't be optimistic about Villa's survival until such time as they either pick up a win (not likely) or other results go our way (quite likely).

McLeish's puke football means its squeaky bum time until safety is assured.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    Suddenly I'm nervous again about Villa and I think it's all this talk that we're safe. Yes we look safer than before the week-end, yes we have the advantage but with Spurs winning yesterday and locked in a fight for 4th, I can see them winning at Villa Park next weekend.

If that happens and QPR and Bolton (again assuming Bolton lose their mid-week Spurs game) get wins - quite possible - then we'll all go into the last game pretty much equal on points and then you have to worry that QPR could steal a point against a City team that may or may not be in the hunt for a tite.

Ow! The maths of all this are hurting my head. Why can't we just fast forward to the season's end and just get it done.

QPR will not get something off City, they'll even do well to beat Stoke so ye can relax.

Ye are safe. End of

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ye are safe. End of

Thanks, I feel much better now :rolleyes:

Clanket wrote: »
    Thanks, I feel much better now :rolleyes:

You really think City will drop pts at home to QPR? QPR were awful yesterday looked disorganised and dis-interested. Even Stoke will feel they can get something at Loftus Road. City will tear them apart league or no league title

Have to agree. It's in no way certain that we're safe. We're showing the worst form of the teams battling relegation and we all know what happened McUseless when in the same position last year. If QPR beat Stoke at home next week, Bolton beat West Brom at home (or get something out of Spurs on Wed) and we lose to Spurs we're rightly fooked. I just can't see our players being able to motivate themselves away at Norwich on the final day. So then if Bolton and QPR get something on the final day we're gone.

These relegation battles always throw up suprises. For me at the moment, the suprise will be if we manage to stay up.

So basically you'll be surprised if City beat QPR? Get real

city: dropped just 2 points at home all season

clanket: will be surprised if they get anything from a qpr team with the worst away record in the league

villa: lost less away games than anyone in the league except city

clanket: will be surprised if they don't lose against a norwich side in woeful since march

good man clanket

Granted QPR are our best bet of joining Blackburn and Wolves. However, as the saying goes lads, it's a funny old game.

city: dropped just 2 points at home all season

clanket: will be surprised if they get anything from a qpr team with the worst away record in the league

City could realistically be out of the title challenge this evening. Might they play a weakened team then?

villa: lost less away games than anyone in the league except city

clanket: will be surprised if they don't lose against a norwich side in woeful since march

good man clanket

Are you seriously trying to say we'll be safe based on form?

city are more likely to murder qpr if they've got nothing to play for than if they're playing for the league

check out the form for the games played so far this season, the only form that actually matters, and we've done better than those 2 teams you reckon will manage to pass us

even qpr's wonderful recent form has beatings against wolves and bolton

• Advertisement

City could realistically be out of the title challenge this evening. Might they play a weakened team then?

City can play their 5th team they'll still beat QPR. League title or not its their last home game and they'll try put on a show for the home crowd.

Doesn't matter about form ye're still safe. Ye don't even have to turn up for the next two and ye'll still stay up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement