Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting a 190e 2.6 to diesel

• 22-10-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭

After doing some research I note that the final drive in the 190e 2.6 auto is the same as the 2.5D auto.

Would I be insane to convert my 2.6 to a 2.5D and use as a daily driver? If not, who might do it? I don't really feel like taking the job on myself.

The car is an interesting original Irish 2.6 Sportline with lowered suspension and cossie bits. I assume the 2.5 diesel weighs something similar to the 6 pot petrol, and the swap should be relatively straightforward and reversible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

maidhc wrote: »
    After doing some research I note that the final drive in the 190e 2.6 auto is the same as the 2.5D auto.

Would I be insane to convert my 2.6 to a 2.5D and use as a daily driver? If not, who might do it? I don't really feel like taking the job on myself.

The car is an interesting original Irish 2.6 Sportline with lowered suspension and cossie bits. I assume the 2.5 diesel weighs something similar to the 6 pot petrol, and the swap should be relatively straightforward and reversible.

You would be insane , if you want a 190d daily driver buy one cause it will work out cheaper and a lot lot lot lot less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

The cost of change including purchase of engine and gearbox would probably come in at around 1500. I have seen a number of these changes and a friend is currently doing one on a 123 . With lpg back in the fore again , did you consider a price for a conversion to same. I would think the cost would be around the same and the performance and originality of the car would be maintained ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Would I be insane to convert my 2.6 to a 2.5D and use as a daily driver?

It would be completely insane. :D The 190E 2.6 is one of the nicest cars i've ever driven, and you'd be mad to ruin it. If fuel cost is an issue, buy a 190 diesel, but please don't butcher the 2.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭w124man

2cv wrote: »
    It would be completely insane. :D The 190E 2.6 is one of the nicest cars i've ever driven, and you'd be mad to ruin it. If fuel cost is an issue, buy a 190 diesel, but please don't butcher the 2.6.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pmg007

a friend is currently doing one on a 123
    what engine is he fitting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭tc20

look no further maidhc ;) (granted its in dublin)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4084247

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭w124man

tc20 wrote: »
    look no further maidhc ;) (granted its in dublin)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4084247

Too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Convert it to LPG, its making a come back with more and more stations opening up. Im in the process of converting two of my cars.

Convert it to LPG, its making a come back with more and more stations opening up. Im in the process of converting two of my cars.

What's the cost of converting to lpg at present :confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭tc20

w124man wrote: »
    Too good to be true!

could it be? i'm not sure what a decent 2.5 190D would fetch...the bodywork looks decent at a glance, perhaps the drivers seat is raggy (hard to tell from the angle of the photo), engine bay has had a steamclean by the looks of it..
    Surely it would be a onceover at that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

tc20 wrote: »
    could it be? i'm not sure what a decent 2.5 190D would fetch...the bodywork looks decent at a glance, perhaps the drivers seat is raggy (hard to tell from the angle of the photo), engine bay has had a steamclean by the looks of it..
    Surely it would be a onceover at that price?

I rang about it, it was taken as a trade in against a commercial. Sounds fairly OK, I'll take a sconce on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I rang about it, it was taken as a trade in against a commercial. Sounds fairly OK, I'll take a sconce on monday.

Not gone on diesels, but I WOULD jump at that if he'd swop for my S320 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

shawnee wrote: »
    What's the cost of converting to lpg at present :confused:;)

On a car like that about €1300. LPG is making a come back. At present it costs €0.79 a litre

On a car like that about €1300. LPG is making a come back. At present it costs €0.79 a litre

Thanks !

Advertisement