Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

If you could turn back the clock....

• 20-08-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

This time of year makes me reflect on my life all of the time because I see the little nippers getting offered all these fancy courses and heading off to college and it makes me realise how different my life could be had I just chosen a different route or a different course or had taken the time as a secondary school kid to take a step back and consider the future.

I've just qualified as a Barrister this year so there are some exciting times ahead and I've grown to love the law but sometimes I cant help wonder how on earth I got here! Why law!?? It was so long ago I cant really remember my reasoning.

IF I had the chance to go back to my leaving cert, I'd put in more work, go to a better school and apply for Physics with Astronomy & Space Science in UCD. I reckon that area would interest me and it looks like a great little course! Maybe even work toward becoming an astronaut! Would be a cool field anyways.

So AH'ers, if you could turn back the time what alternate route would you take in life? Solely work/education related I'm talking. I dont care if you wish you hadnt fingerbanged stacey from the block. Or if you are generally happy, is there even a "what if" in there somewhere?

Vent.

TL;DR - if you could turn back time, what road would you take? (No Robert Frost/Cher jokes please.)

EDIT - Come on folks, give us more that a 1 line answer, what do you do now and what would you rather be doing???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Is the clock a metaphor??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

The one where i didnt **** **** up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'd avoid my current career like the fukn plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I wished I stayed on in school and did something, anything! I am working in a post office now and i hate it. I wish I could o something I love. But I have too many bill to pay to give up work and go back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Is the clock a metaphor??

It's a metaphor for your digital watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

NoQuarter wrote: »
    This time of year makes me reflect on my life all of the time because I see the little nippers getting offered all these fancy courses and heading off to college and it makes me realise how different my life could be had I just chosen a different route or a different course or had taken the time as a secondary school kid to take a step back and consider the future.

I've just qualified as a Barrister this year so there are some exciting times ahead and I've grown to love the law but sometimes I cant help wonder how on earth I got here! Why law!?? It was so long ago I cant really remember my reasoning.

IF I had the chance to go back to my leaving cert, I'd put in more work, go to a better school and apply for Physics with Astronomy & Space Science in UCD. I reckon that area would interest me and it looks like a great little course! Maybe even work toward becoming an astronaut! Would be a cool field anyways.

So AH'ers, if you could turn back the time what alternate route would you take in life? Solely work/education related I'm talking. I dont care if you wish you hadnt fingerbanged stacey from the block. Or if you are generally happy, is there even a "what if" in there somewhere?

Vent.

TL;DR - if you could turn back time, what road would you take? (No Robert Frost/Cher jokes please.)
    Thinly veiled 'I got over 500 points in my leaving cert' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I've just qualified as a Barrister this year

How much do you charge per case?

Do you prefer cash or blood? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

no change

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd turn it back 30 minutes, fecking missed coronation street.

Nowhere near it! I went the long route!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

turn back time to 1987 whenI **** myself in class and got bullied that I had to leave a year later aged 16 with no quals

had to leave town as was known as ****tycunt

25 years later and if I go back home somone will still call me ****tycunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

"If i could find a way "

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm still feckin confused about what I want to do :/

I've considered doing a load of courses until something sticks but I'm too poor fo that.

How do you grown ups know what you want to do with your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Vent.

EDIT - Come on folks, give us more that a 1 line answer, what do you do now and what would you rather be doing???

You did law, you're progressing in your career and you love your job - what's the problemo?!

WumBuster wrote: »
    I wish id have kept at a certain sport that i was really good at and could have had possibly a career. But no, drinking, smoking, girls and teenage rebellion took over. Silly boy. :(

that old chestnut :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Evidently not if they didn't have the points for astronomy and space science...

I wouldn't change anything, but if it had all taken me a bit less time that would be great, I wouldn't say I wasted time but I did go about life thus far in a very roundabout way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Vent.

My two biggest fears is that some day one of the kids will come home and tell me they want to study law or enter the preisthood. Both equally terrifying.

Casillas wrote: »
    You did law, you're progressing in your career and you love your job - what's the problemo?!

There's no real problem. More of a "what if"

That said, it would be nice to work in an area that is a hobby. Id never pick up a law book and read it for the crack but I would be interested in science. So if I could go back, maybe a science course would have been the way to go!

And you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

turn back time to 1987 whenI **** myself in class and got bullied that I had to leave a year later aged 16 with no quals

had to leave town as was known as ****tycunt

25 years later and if I go back home somone will still call me ****tycunt
    One more post about crapping and you get a ban.

It gets very boring very quickly.

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I would try to ensure my parents kissed at their school dance so I would be born, all whilst trying to avoid the sexual advances of my own mother & the hostile tendencies of the town bully & his cohorts.

• Advertisement

I would try to ensure my parents kissed at their school dance so I would be born, all whilst trying to avoid the sexual advances of my own mother & the hostile tendencies of the town bully & his cohorts.

wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

So AH'ers, if you could turn back the time what alternate route would you take in life? Solely work/education related I'm talking.

Sometimes you cannot separate the two. My career path was stunted by my ex and his feeling of financial inferiority and bitterness over it.

I've my mojo back however. I pity anyone that owes anyone I work for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

wtf?

it's quoting back to the future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I would have studied harder in the Leaving Cert and gotten into a better course I guess. I knew I was/am well capable of getting 580+ points in the LC, I just took it easy and didn't study as hard as I could have. I only really started studying for the exams like a week before and at that I did most of the study pretty much the day before the exam. Its something I still end up doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

There's no real problem. More of a "what if"

That said, it would be nice to work in an area that is a hobby. Id never pick up a law book and read it for the crack but I would be interested in science. So if I could go back, maybe a science course would have been the way to go!

And you?

You could maybe do a science course part-time in a bit, when the pressure is lifted with work. There's no reason you need to consider things as over. I'm pretty happy with things so-far, would like to get a Masters sorted though, probably something I'll need to do part-time too in the evenings. International Relations would be the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I would have started studying my current degree a lot sooner. Spent too many years in my early twenties faffing about. I wish I'd managed to cop on a bit sooner, or listened to those around me who were trying to encourage me. I felt a bit behind in life going back to study in my mid to late-twenties in some respects, but very relieved to be doing something I love now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

wtf?
    Earth angellll eaarrrrth angellllll....

Have to throw this in for good measure, I air guitared the sh1t over this song back the day. as ya do, yano. Watch for the changes :cool:

in all seriousness, turn back time to yesterday and opened my account with a better username and not posted so much rubbish in afterhours

im going to take a break now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

in all seriousness, turn back time to yesterday and opened my account with a better username and not posted so much rubbish in afterhours

im going to take a break now ;)

Best idea in thread so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Casillas wrote: »

He's Irish and he complains for a living. He needs to complain about this.

Advertisement