Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Actually my husbands cousins wee boys are both Rangers supporters(if only you knew their mothers maiden name and who they are related too - go on guess - Donegal and Russian connection:)) Maybe you've seen them around Dungloe or thereabouts with their Rangers tops on?

Oh they don't live there - they make a point of wearing them when on holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Looks like one of the Kilmarnock Players Dads had a heart attack

Sounds like Killie's celebrations have been cut short. Liam Kelly's father has had a heart attack

heatherdeePR ‏ @heatherdeePR Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Terrible news for #liamkelly -sounds like his dad has had a heart attack. Killie celebrations brought to a swift end. #leaguecup

That's terrible news hopefully the guy will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Madam wrote: »
    Actually my husbands cousins wee boys are both Rangers supporters(if only you knew their mothers maiden name and who they are related too - go on guess - Donegal and Russian connection:)) Maybe you've seen them around Dungloe or thereabouts with their Rangers tops on?

Oh they don't live there - they make a point of wearing them when on holiday!

Yeah seen a few about actually my boys wear theirs a lot it can be funny at times when a tourist see's them the amount of double takes is hillarious

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Disappointed rather than gutted. Knew today would be a really tight game, thought we had some very good chances - enough to win most times, but Bell was in cracking form and kept them in the game. Nothing we can do about games like that - sometimes you have the luck, sometimes you don't, and today we didn't. I counted about 9 saves from Bell - 4 or 5 of those were top drawer saves.

Congrats to Killie, great goal from them to take the win.

Not going to lose sleep over it, but makes me want the Scottish Cup even more to go with our league trophy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Congrats to Killie, they wanted it more and will celebrate it far more than we would have. Our team is good but not the finished article and it needs a SERIOUS lesson in bottle, being a very young side however means it's not that surprising. Hopefully winning the title and cup (with a bit of luck) will be that lesson.

Between that and Motherwell pushing hard for second it shows that there's still a bright future for the league despite Rangers's woes.

spiralism wrote: »
    Congrats to Killie, they wanted it more and will celebrate it far more than we would have. Our team is good but not the finished article and it needs a SERIOUS lesson in bottle, being a very young side however means it's not that surprising. Hopefully winning the title and cup (with a bit of luck) will be that lesson.

Between that and Motherwell pushing hard for second it shows that there's still a bright future for the league despite Rangers's woes.

What bull the future would change if Rangets were not there do you think SKY would keep the same deal do you think advertisers would pay the same money dream on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

What bull the future would change if Rangets were not there do you think SKY would keep the same deal do you think advertisers would pay the same money dream on

But, didn't they do that in the Eighties when Rangers were winning nothing?

I don't buy into this thing that Sky( and the crumbs they do give the SPL)will abandon Scottish football - sorry but football in Scotland has always been a footnote in their scheme of things! Even 'The Rangers' debacle doesn't really come into their scope of 'shock, horror' 'look whats happening in Scotchland' headlines!

Madam wrote: »
    But, didn't they do that in the Eighties when Rangers were winning nothing?

I don't buy into this thing that Sky( and the crumbs they do give the SPL)will abandon Scottish football - sorry but football in Scotland has always been a footnote in their scheme of things! Even 'The Rangers' debacle doesn't really come into their scope of 'shock, horror' 'look whats happening in Scotchland' headlines!

That won't work as Rangers were still in the league the new sky deal had sky putting a clause in there had to be four league games between the two sides a season. Advertising revenue would drop for every smaller club as Rangers wouldn't be going there twice a season
    Thats just the tip of the iceberg if you add to that the Perth Councillor talking about the money the town(sorry its now a City)would lose by Rangers fans not going twice a year multiply that at ground all over Scotland. How long before crowds at all grounds dwindle because its a one team league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

That won't work as Rangers were still in the league the new sky deal had sky putting a clause in there had to be four league games between the two sides a season. Advertising revenue would drop for every smaller club as Rangers wouldn't be going there twice a season
    Thats just the tip of the iceberg if you add to that the Perth Councillor talking about the money the town(sorry its now a City)would lose by Rangers fans not going twice a year multiply that at ground all over Scotland. How long before crowds at all grounds dwindle because its a one team league

would somebody please think of everyone else and excuse our cheating :rolleyes:
    you lot amaze me

bobmalooka wrote: »
    would somebody please think of everyone else and excuse our cheating :rolleyes:
    you lot amaze me

Funny I didn't know we had been charged with anything let alone found guilty
    so you post is a complete fail
    ;):cooOh and where in that post of mine did I even mention anything like that

• Advertisement

Funny I didn't know we had been charged with anything let alone found guilty
    so you post is a complete fail
    ;):cooOh and where in that post of mine did I even mention anything like that
    http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/rangers-administration-craig-whyte-and-club-are-charged-by-sfa-1-2176310
    7 charges in the past week alone :D

Keep the head in the sand for another while its hilarious

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/rangers-administration-craig-whyte-and-club-are-charged-by-sfa-1-2176310
    7 charges in the past week alone :D

Keep the head in the sand for another while its hilarious

You need to read things better these charges do not equate to any on field wrongdoing try again
    ;)

You need to read things better these charges do not equate to any on field wrongdoing try again
    ;)

so its only cheating if its on the field, you wanna get that moral compass looked at mate

so its only cheating if its on the field, you wanna get that moral compass looked at mate

Oh get a grip a man lied he did not only fool us he fooled the SFA that are charging us
    And please do not go down the moral route

Oh get a grip a man lied he did not only fool us he fooled the SFA that are charging us
    And please do not go down the moral route

fair enough, the point I'm making is that its disingenuous to deny wrongdoing by Rangers.

fair enough, the point I'm making is that its disingenuous to deny wrongdoing by Rangers.

Up to a point I would agree but honestly unless we have been found to use anything to gain an unfair advantage on the park I won't panic. We have had two crooks in charge of the club and at the moment they seem to be getting away with it though Whyte may yet find himself facing criminal charges

Up to a point I would agree but honestly unless we have been found to use anything to gain an unfair advantage on the park I won't panic. We have had two crooks in charge of the club and at the moment they seem to be getting away with it though Whyte may yet find himself facing criminal charges

Whyte's wrangling didn't have much of an affect on the field cos Celtic will win the league this year but Murrays EBT's allowed Rangers to field players beyond their means, I believe that to be an unfair advantage.

Whyte's wrangling didn't have much of an affect on the field cos Celtic will win the league this year but Murrays EBT's allowed Rangers to field players beyond their means, I believe that to be an unfair advantage.

A lot of these things still have to be proved so I will wait and see

A lot of these things still have to be proved so I will wait and see

Well its the level of liability which is yet to be decided regarding the EBT'S, reading between the lines with everybody who was involved with the club at the time trying to point the finger at others over the past 2/3 weeks it looks like the outcome of the case is known privately

Anyways we can leave that to the Rangers thread rather than here, its gonna be a very interesting summer for ye with the offers being submitted before the outcome of the big tax case being announced, ye could end up with 3 different owners in a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Very disappointed in our performance today. We never really deserved to win it. Hats off to Kille they certainly wanted it more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lads, could we keep the Rangers talk for the Rangers thread please? There's two of them to choose from... the Rangers thread and the Rangers in Admin thread. :(

henke wrote: »
    Very disappointed in our performance today. We never really deserved to win it. Hats off to Kille they certainly wanted it more.

I agree with most of that except the first bit. I think we had some excellent shots saved by a keeper who did brilliantly today. I do think we could have done a little better, but full credit to Killie - it was their performace and game-plan that won the battle today, not a particularly disappointing performance from us.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Lads, could we keep the Rangers talk for the Rangers thread please? There's two of them to choose from... the Rangers thread and the Rangers in Admin thread. :(

Fair enough but if people mention my team in here don't expect me to ignore it Paul ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Hope I'm not jumping the gun on this but it appears Killie player Liam Kelly's father has passed away, tragedy for the Kelly family on what should have been such a happy/proud day. RIP

RoryMac wrote: »
    Hope I'm not jumping the gun on this but it appears Killie player Liam Kelly's father has passed away, tragedy for the Kelly family on what should have been such a happy/proud day. RIP

Yeah there seems to be conflicting story's about whether he has passed away or not
    A wee prayer for him won't go amiss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

BBC Sportscene still haven't showed anything from this game (Almost near the end of it as well), one would think they're hurting a bit :D

Yeah there seems to be conflicting story's about whether he has passed away or not
    A wee prayer for him won't go amiss

It's now confirmed that he did indeed pass away :(

Thoughts with his family.
    Also saw the images of the medals being handed out, Sportscene on the BBC were actually that retarded that they showed Mr. Kelly being given CPR in the background, shocking editing that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

PauloMN wrote: »
    I agree with most of that except the first bit. I think we had some excellent shots saved by a keeper who did brilliantly today. I do think we could have done a little better, but full credit to Killie - it was their performace and game-plan that won the battle today, not a particularly disappointing performance from us.
    Fair enough in that it wasn't a bad performance I just felt we weren't at our best for a cup final but their keeper was excellent and if we had scored early it could have been a very different story but credit to Killie.

Very sad news about Liam Kelly's father on what should have been a day of great joy for him and his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Pfft

T
    Pfft

Well that was insightful mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

After watching the game and seeing the in-game replays of the Stokes incident I was convinced it was a penalty but after seeing the slow motion replays I am pretty sure the was at best very minimal contact if any at all and so Collum probably got it right.

Over the 90 minutes Celtic were by far the better team but played like they assumed they would score eventually and any team with that kind of attitude deserves to get bitten occasionally. The honour of winning a treble should a hard fought affair and unfortunately that Celtic team have been too complacent too often this season to deserve such a prize.

After watching the game and seeing the in-game replays of the Stokes incident I was convinced it was a penalty but after seeing the slow motion replays I am pretty sure the was at best very minimal contact if any at all and so Collum probably got it right.

Over the 90 minutes Celtic were by far the better team but played like they assumed they would score eventually and any team with that kind of attitude deserves to get bitten occasionally. The honour of winning a treble should a hard fought affair and unfortunately that Celtic team have been too complacent too often this season to deserve such a prize.

I reckon you summed that up perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I feel sorry for Kelly and the rest of the Kilmarnock team & fans, what a rollercoaster of emotions they went through yesterday and it is so tragic what happened. Makes the split hair analysis of the game seem inconsequential.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Huge sense of anti climax with the treble gone, well done to Kilmarnock. The defeat yesterday should help focus the minds on next week at Ibrokes and we've still got a chance of a league and cup double. A win at Ibrokes next Sunday and yesterday will be all but forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Tragic news re Mr Kelly. We all had our sporting disappointments over weekend, I was in Twickenham for the hammering, but tragic news like this puts everything in perspective as others have said.

It was a big disappointment for Celtic to blow the treble, but they are probably not quite worthy to have the honour of a treble bestowed upon them just yet. I read Lenny's interview after game and I thought his comments about the ref were terrible, especially considering some of the big decisions that have went in Celtic's favour this season. He has to learn to show more dignity in defeat. Having seen the penalty incident, Collum was very brave to make the call he did and deserves great credit for it.

No complaints from me on the penalty incident either. Usual hysteria on the Celtic forums, but I always try to look at penalty incidents from both sides to compare. I'd have been livid if a penalty had been given there against my team.

Not so sure about the yellow card though.

Brewster wrote: »
    Collum was very brave to make the call he did and deserves great credit for it.

I know I said it was inconsequential but the above deserves a response.
    Collum does not deserve credit at all, he deserves pity and an expectation that he should account for his actions. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt regarding the penalty (which I don't), he cannot have seen if Stokes dived and therefore cannot, logically, give Stokes a yellow card.

stokes.jpg

stokes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not the 1st time Collum filled the togs when faced with a big decision in a big match. Clearly not good enough to remain a grade 1 referee imo

Dempsey wrote: »
    Not the 1st time Collum filled the togs when faced with a big decision in a big match. Clearly not good enough to remain a grade 1 referee imo

Stokes went down like he was shot. The contact, if any at all, was not going to impede the player and he could have gotten a shot away had he chose to do so. He took the easy option and collapsed to the floor with his ankles flying into the air which makes it obvious he was trying to con the ref. The ref made the right decision, I am amazed that having seen the incident on TV Lenny still insisted it was a stonewaller and the ref cost Celtic the treble!!

Stokes went down like he was shot. The contact, if any at all, was not going to impede the player and he could have gotten a shot away had he chose to do so. He took the easy option and collapsed to the floor with his ankles flying into the air which makes it obvious he was trying to con the ref. The ref made the right decision, I am amazed that having seen the incident on TV Lenny still insisted it was a stonewaller and the ref cost Celtic the treble!!

Have you ever been ankle tapped? I have and I've done it to other players. It doesnt take much contact to make a player fall over themselves.

A slide tackle from behind that makes contact with the player and gets none of the ball is a penalty. Why would he go to ground when he has the opportunity to round the keeper and score in a similar position to what he did the other week against Aberdeen?

http://eurorivals.net/aberdeen~celtic-highlights-video-03-03-2012

• Advertisement

He took another step or two and then went down, THAT'S why no penalty was given.

Have you ever been ankle tapped? I have and I've done it to other players. It doesnt take much contact to make a player fall over themselves.

A slide tackle from behind that makes contact with the player and gets none of the ball is a penalty. Why would he go to ground when he has the opportunity to round the keeper and score in a similar position to what he did the other week against Aberdeen?

I think you make a good point re the ankle tap. It happens in rugby in many games and for this reason alone makes me believe that Stokes dived! It was an unnatural fall, the difference between this and a rugby player falling in full flight is chalk and cheese! football players just flop to the floor ankles flying in air! Stokes bottled it and took easy option to go down.

I think you make a good point re the ankle tap. It happens in rugby in many games and for this reason alone makes me believe that Stokes dived! It was an unnatural fall, the difference between this and a rugby player falling in full flight is chalk and cheese! football players just flop to the floor ankles flying in air! Stokes bottled it and took easy option to go down.

Its largely down to the contact made whether you loose your footing immediately or take some clumsy strides on the way down. How a rugby player and footballer fall would look very different because a rugby player would be still trying to retain possession as opposed to a clear foul in football.

Whether Stokes makes the most of it or not shouldnt matter as Nelson made contact without getting the ball. That alone is enough to give the penalty. A perfect example of this would be the Udinese penalty given against Celtic earlier this season.

Collum didnt see the contact which means he wasnt in a proper position to make a proper call and from a technical point of view its poor refereeing and he's made too many high profile mistakes like this to keep his grade 1 status.

Stokes went down like he was shot. The contact, if any at all, was not going to impede the player and he could have gotten a shot away had he chose to do so.

The contact is clear, Stokes was going to round the keeper. It was a tackle from behind for fecks sake and Nelson got none of the ball and clipped Stokes right foot / leg.

Its largely down to the contact made whether you loose your footing immediately or take some clumsy strides on the way down. How a rugby player and footballer fall would look very different because a rugby player would be still trying to retain possession as opposed to a clear foul in football.

Whether Stokes makes the most of it or not shouldnt matter as Nelson made contact without getting the ball. That alone is enough to give the penalty. A perfect example of this would be the Udinese penalty given against Celtic earlier this season.

Collum didnt see the contact which means he wasnt in a proper position to make a proper call and from a technical point of view its poor refereeing and he's made too many high profile mistakes like this to keep his grade 1 status.

Clumsy stride my foot he takes two distinct steps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

In rugby an ankle tap usually happens when the attacker is at full pace, stokes was setting 4 a shot of course the fall will be different, any angle I've seen it at says peno.

In saying that Celtic had 90+ other minutes to seal there own game and didn't so they've only themselves to blame!

The contact is clear, Stokes was going to round the keeper. It was a tackle from behind for fecks and Nelson got none of the ball and clipped Stokes right foot / leg.

Nelson has admitted there was contact with Stokes in the tackle. Even if he didnt admit it, you could see the guilty look in his face when Collum was running over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Of course, if he did give the penalty - you would be giving him exactly the same abuse as you did when he gave the broadfoot one...right? :rolleyes:

Or, just like the Rangers "Goal" during the new year game when we were all treated to "neither the referee or the linesman could see it, therefore couldnt give the goal".

Make up your mind man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Big disappointment on Sunday really. While we were not at our best we were the better side on the day and created enough chances to win the game. But credit to Kilmarnock. They came to play and had a go. They scored late on, got the benefit of a no call on the pk, played at the max of their ability while Celtic were not at their best. In other words all the ingredients for an upset.
    The penalty incident was bad. It was a clear penalty but nonetheless we only have ourselves to blame for not taking our chances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement